Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Huw Edwards

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I got told off for having that attitude months back. “Oh Questions we thought you were better than that …We thought you had touched on this yourself”
I was scathing of that defence because yes I have had problems in that direction and he and supporters were blagging it.

I agree, I imagine he knew all of this would come out at some point and tried to get ahead of it by playing the mental health card.

He wasn't the victim then and certainly isn't now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree.
Everyone has "mental health" good or bad.
Mental health issues or problems are what some should be looking to excuse their behaviour with.
I remember a video I watched a while back where some scrote was scroting about and being violent.
As soon as the Old Bill grabbed him he immediately resorted to telling them "I've got mental health".
Thick Twat.
Towards the end of my working career this was becoming a very real issue.....Group CEO went very public with a big initiative on how colleagues needed to be supported when suffering MH issues etc, which unfortunately resulted in 'MH issues' being used as a defence mechanism/excuse left right and centre. Examples such as picking someone up for a poor piece of work/underperformance................next thing would be a formal complaint to the next level up along the lines of 'my manager is having a negative impact on my MH by being critical of my work.....the CEO has expressly said we need to support staff' etc etc.

No, you just aren't doing your job well enough.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Towards the end of my working career this was becoming a very real issue.....Group CEO went very public with a big initiative on how colleagues needed to be supported when suffering MH issues etc, which unfortunately resulted in 'MH issues' being used as a defence mechanism/excuse left right and centre. Examples such as picking someone up for a poor piece of work/underperformance................next thing would be a formal complaint to the next level up along the lines of 'my manager is having a negative impact on my MH by being critical of my work.....the CEO has expressly said we need to support staff' etc etc.

I see a lot of this

One person I had to deal with a while ago had used their “mental health” issues to build a fortress around themselves. Used it to get their own way and cover up their incompetence at the job. Tried to make themselves un-sackable.

It didn’t work for long.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
So what’s happened at Butlins then ?

I see a lot of this

One person I had to deal with a while ago had used their “mental health” issues to build a fortress around themselves. Used it to get their own way and cover up their incompetence at the job. Tried to make themselves un-sackable.

It didn’t work for long.
I suppose it would’ve been bloody useful though if they were in the fortress construction trade?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
And he receives universal credit payments into his Bank account monthly which can be accessed once he is deemed fit to be released as is being held in a secure hospital rather than a prison
Looks like the new government has got wind of that. So I suspect it won't be happening much longer.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Something I hadn't seen mentioned on this before reading the BBC News article now is:

"The Met said the allegations were separate from other claims that were widely reported and investigated last year.

"These allegations did not form part of the matter which was considered by police in July 2023. They were investigated separately as a standalone case," a police spokesperson said.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

But, as a manager you're more effective approaching the situation with 'how can we help you do your job better' rather than 'you're not doing your job well enough'. Both tell the person that what they have done isn't good enough, but one is a more constructive approach. This is how work place cultures form and they're incredibly hard to change if everyone uses the second approach rather than the first.

CEO is probably right because you can be more ruthless with staff if you have followed a constructive performance supporting process. If you've done all you can and they're still underperforming then your mechanism for moving them on is easier.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
But, as a manager you're more effective approaching the situation with 'how can we help you do your job better' rather than 'you're not doing your job well enough'. Both tell the person that what they have done isn't good enough, but one is a more constructive approach. This is how work place cultures form and they're incredibly hard to change if everyone uses the second approach rather than the first.

CEO is probably right because you can be more ruthless with staff if you have followed a constructive performance supporting process. If you've done all you can and they're still underperforming then your mechanism for moving them on is easier.
True but the only thing with the old "capabilities" policy is that it takes a fekin age to get rid of a bad apple....

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

Offering support is generally the approach I think you should take. The problem I often faced was people who wanted to cherry pick the parts of the job they did claiming that other tasks caused stress. However this meant that others had to change their work patterns to cover. Ultimately I believed that unless an adaption was required due to a disability they had to realise that this was what the job required them to do. Unfortunately I was never supported by HR when I tried to take a stronger line.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Reading this case worries me. I've been sent some extremely unwelcome content on Whatsapp and my usual reaction is to roll my eyes and give negative feedback. But it doesn't stop the flow of hugely controversial content coming in. I'm going to either have to drop out of many groups, block some contacts or wait for a knock on the door from the Rozzers.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Reading this case worries me. I've been sent some extremely unwelcome content on Whatsapp and my usual reaction is to roll my eyes and give negative feedback. But it doesn't stop the flow of hugely controversial content coming in. I'm going to either have to drop out of many groups, block some contacts or wait for a knock on the door from the Rozzers.
Yes, I'd say this was the logical course of action. And maybe reconsider your 'friends'?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If the content is illegal that is without doubt very wise.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
To be clear, nothing involving children. That would get the certain individuals sending bad content a proper slap and consequences. I'm more talking about questionable memes and intentionally offensive visual content. Nothing illegal, but things you wouldn't really want to receive. People in person and people in Whatsapp can be very different - there are several fellas of middle age who seem hooked on sharing "controversial" content but who are nothing like their Whatsapp/Facebook personas in person. In person they're good people, but you wouldn't know that from their content sharing behaviours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here