Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hurzeler or Rydstrom [Potter rules himself out]

Please don’t merge. Prefer Hurzeler, Rydstrom, Martin, or other, as new manager?

• Fabian Hurzeler

Votes: 117 88.6%
  • Henrik Rydstrom

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Russell Martin

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.5%

• Total voters

Thread merged. There should be plenty of room on the current threads for this discussion. Any new ones will be closed or merged.

And, FYI, it won't be Russell Martin so don't bother voting for him.
👍I just wanted to add the poll, I couldn’t edit someone else’s post. I know there’s no chance of Russell Martin being appointed, but betting firms still want to take money off anyone willing

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Personally, I have no idea and don't give a sh!t right now.

We may as well appoint Bill Murray.

This is the first time I've sensed that Tony and Paul have cocked up a bit (since Sami that is).
How on earth have they cocked up?

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's rare for German clubs to allow any approach to a manager under contract. More so during the season. The Potter scenario wouldn't happen in Germany. (yes, I went there)

Managers get sacked mid season here but it's always a promotion from within, whether temporary or permanent, or an out of work manager.

Pre season some years ago, Leipzig wanted Nagelsmann as manager. Nagelsmann served an entire seasons notice at Hoffenheim before moving on at the end of the season. The management hire & fire culture works different here. Nobody is privy to the T&Cs of Hürzeler's contract but it wouldn't be an absolute shock if FCSP were to dig their heels in.
Some good points.

I just hope the rumours of him having some sort of ‘come and get me clause’ in his recent contract are true.

I’ve fallen for this fella big time and can’t take another blow-out after the Italian left!

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Some good points.

I just hope the rumours of him having some sort of ‘come and get me clause’ in his recent contract are true.

I’ve fallen for this fella big time and can’t take another blow-out after the Italian left!
As I commented on the Hürzeler thread - it’s been reported that he has an exit clause (ie allowing him to end his contract) but he was unable to negotiate including a release clause (which is uncommon in German contracts anyway - which means we couldn’t trigger negotiations with an pre-determined offer at any time presumably but St Pauli have agreed to negotiate a transfer fee - which could be more lucrative for them in the long run anyway - especially if we offer some kind of performance add ons.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
As I commented on the Hürzeler thread - it’s been reported that he has an exit clause (ie allowing him to end his contract) but he was unable to negotiate including a release clause (which is uncommon in German contracts anyway - which means we couldn’t trigger negotiations with an pre-determined offer at any time presumably but St Pauli have agreed to negotiate a transfer fee - which could be more lucrative for them in the long run anyway - especially if we offer some kind of performance add ons.
Still don't really understand the exit clause Vs release clause. St Pauli have all the power here is what I'm reading between the lines.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
👍I just wanted to add the poll, I couldn’t edit someone else’s post. I know there’s no chance of Russell Martin being appointed, but betting firms still want to take money off anyone willing

The one that was on Twitter got over 2,000 votes - over half for Hurzeler. (Bit out of date, because it still has Potter on though).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Perhaps they have a passion for Masterchef? Maybe that's how they spend evenings together?
Seriously tho, how have they messed up? If McKenna didn't want to come there's not much we can do about it. Or are you referring to RDZ leaving?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Can't be long now before we announce the new manager that literally nobody has mentioned whatsoever and another peach of a quote from Mr Football, Graeme Sourness

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Seriously tho, how have they messed up? If McKenna didn't want to come there's not much we can do about it. Or are you referring to RDZ leaving?
I think that taking the RDZ decision without having a clear successor in mind is not the smart move we expect. If McKenna could not be convinced (and let’s face it, Ipswich are going to struggle), and now Potter ruling himself out etc, that’s not good. It feels like we are casting the net around a bit. I’m sure there’s a list, but it doesn’t feel like a process that’s going as smoothly as other managerial appointments.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think that taking the RDZ decision without having a clear successor in mind is not the smart move we expect. If McKenna could not be convinced (and let’s face it, Ipswich are going to struggle), and now Potter ruling himself out etc, that’s not good. It feels like we are casting the net around a bit. I’m sure there’s a list, but it doesn’t feel like a process that’s going as smoothly as other managerial appointments.

I don't think it was them 'taking the RDZ decision'. It was a mutual thing. More that RDZ didn't get what he wanted (ie more say in selecting potential transfers, big enough budget so he could take things forward/win trophies). I am gutted that RDZ left but I think it was just one of those situations where they couldn't come to an agreement. The club has a model and TB and PB are not going to deviate from that.

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
Or those that piled money on Potter. Naively following the shortenings odds, which were simply a result of herd instinct.
Which herd would that be? As far as I can tell the herd for whatever reasons are sanctimoniously anti-Potter because he made a few frustrated, ill-judged comments when things weren’t going entirely to plan. Sounds like another manager we used to have until just recently.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which herd would that be? As far as I can tell the herd for whatever reasons are sanctimoniously anti-Potter because he made a few frustrated, ill-judged comments when things weren’t going entirely to plan. Sounds like another manager we used to have until just recently.

I was referring to the herd that put money on Potter, which rapidly shortened the odds. The short odds were then referenced in multiple nsc posts and threads that Potter’s appointment was very much on the cards. Anti or Pro Potter folk may’ve punted, now all out of pocket.

You’re barking up a different tree … the bitching against RDZ tree.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Getting back on topic, I'd honestly be happy with either of these two. And I've just remembered saying exactly the same thing when it was between RDZ and the Bodo/Glimt guy last time. Bloom knows what he's doing.

I'm in the minority who'd actually prefer Rydstrom, just because part of me really wants to see what happens when his tactics are tried in the Premier League. But I get that Hurzeler is probably the frontrunner and I reckon he'll do a great job if appointed.

NorthStandSeagull

Apr 20, 2013
Hove
IMG_7608.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here