Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HURRICANE LATEST - shock news

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
HampshireSeagulls said:
The trouble with living in the land of the free, where everything is hinged on the American Dream, is that some people simply cannot attain that dream. However, you can feed them TV pictures of the lifestyles of the rich and famous, you can feed them cheap booze and drugs, and you can show them how compassionate the US is when it comes to foreign aid (especially when the politicos can get their mugs on telly delivering it!). But when the aid is required a little closer to home, and fails to appear, then people get a little pissed off. If this had been post 9/11, then aid would have been coming up the Mississippi in gunboats. As it is, the only thing coming up the river is likely to be US Marines recreating the Mekong Delta patrols in their home country until GB can regain control.

What is even more sad is that they are looting electrical items, and they don't have electrical power.

Possibly the most profound and best post I have ever seen on NSC.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break, [X2]
When The Levee Breaks I'll have no place to stay.

Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan, [X2]
Got what it takes to make a mountain man leave his home,
Oh, well, oh, well, oh, well.

Don't it make you feel bad
When you're tryin' to find your way home,
You don't know which way to go?
If you're goin' down South
They got no work to do,
If you don't know about Chicago.

Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.

All last night sat on the levee and moaned, [X2]
Thinkin' about me baby and my happy home.
Going, going to Chicago... Going to Chicago... Sorry but I can't take you...
Going down... going down now... going down....

I didn't realise just how well Led Zeppelin managed to put it here. Serious questions need to be asked about the administration and also some of the people there - looting stores for food is one thing but nicking TVs and stuff and shooting at aid helicopters is just wrong.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
You know, there are some days when you just wish you were wrong. Today is turning out to be one of them. America is going to turn guns on it's own people, which is bad enough, but consider the ramifications of this one. A predominantly white National Guard is cleared to shoot rioters in a predominantly black area of the deep South of America. This is not like the UK police, before anyone tries to draw similarities, these are military trained reservists who have been granted open season on people they suspect of looting, etc.

This really should be the end of GB and his tenure, but I don't think it will be. I think he will have enough right-wing support to justify knocking over a few black rioters, and I think they will justify anything that happens down there.

I also think the GB may well have just invited the war on terrorism into his kitchen....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4207202.stm

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Bush has really screwed this one up. Saw yesterday that they had a meeting for the 3 most likely national security/issues when he was voted in, the results were

1) Potential terrorist attack on NY
2) Hurricane destroying new Orleans
3) Earthquake destroying California

so to be so unprepared for this really is unbelievable

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
HampshireSeagulls said:

What a great article especially the line 'Officials at the site say they are having to make plans up as they go along' Nothing like contingency planning.

I had the misfortune to be caught up in Hurricane Katrina last week in Florida. Whilst I was there is was a category 2 storm and killed 8 people, the eye passed within 30 miles of where we were and winds were gusting up to 80 miles an hour. That was bad enough. The rain associated was even worse and 11 inches of rain fell in less than 24 hours. If the figures mean little look at 11 inches on your ruler and then bear in mind in the UK, we go mad if it makes 1 inch. Its a lot of Water.

To not evacuate New Orleans, which is under sea level, when the huricance contains a spectacular amount of rain, when the winds were reported to be twice the speed of that when it hit Florida at best smacks of rank stupidity at worst a death sentence to those left behind. Seeing as they have had since 1965 to plan it, you would think they could have thought of something a bit better than this.

samparish said:
If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break, [X2]
When The Levee Breaks I'll have no place to stay.

Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan, [X2]
Got what it takes to make a mountain man leave his home,
Oh, well, oh, well, oh, well.

Don't it make you feel bad
When you're tryin' to find your way home,
You don't know which way to go?
If you're goin' down South
They got no work to do,
If you don't know about Chicago.

Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
Now, cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good,
When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.

All last night sat on the levee and moaned, [X2]
Thinkin' about me baby and my happy home.
Going, going to Chicago... Going to Chicago... Sorry but I can't take you...
Going down... going down now... going down....

I didn't realise just how well Led Zeppelin managed to put it here. Serious questions need to be asked about the administration and also some of the people there - looting stores for food is one thing but nicking TVs and stuff and shooting at aid helicopters is just wrong.

I wouldn't be giving Zep too much credit for that - they STOLE much of their material and their riffs from original blues tunes written by American negros. Some were considered extraordinarily obscure so they thought they would get away with it. Willie Dixon's estate successfully won back royalties but most others they stole from didn't or aren't around to get their credits.
I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it may have been Nellie Lutcher or Big Mama Thornton who wrote 'The Levee' - but LZ were a bunch of posing white boys who knew nothing about levees or living in the flatlands protected by them.

There is a cd out somewhere of tracks they basically lifted, added sustained overdriven guitar and screeching vocals to, and put (Plant, Page) under the title. Anyone doubting this, listen to 'You Need Love' by The Small Faces - which was in turn taken from Muddy Waters 'I Need Love'. Marriott heard 'Whole Lotta Love' and had to say "I couldn't make an issue of their doing the song, as we'd pinched it from Muddy Waters in the first place".
Don't get me wrong, I like Zep and their music, but the reality of their plagiarism should be known.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
HampshireSeagulls said:
until GB can regain control.

Absolutely, the sooner we move back in the better. They need a Thames barrier.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
jimmyseagull said:
Wonder if he'll fit in a round of golf on his'TOUR'
He'll need to watch his drive on the 2nd at the Alabama Pine Hills Club. Bit of a water hazard to clear - just stay right and lay up short, should leave him a 5 iron to the elevated green.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Mr C said:
And I'm gonna be moving to this country??? :eek:

My suggestion would be

map.canada.large.gif

...much more sensible option!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bush appeared so flippant on TV earlier.

He was standing in some kind of hangar saying that help was on the way. But even while saying it, he was smiling, as if it was quite trivial.

The people at death's door don't want smiles, Mr Bush, they want food and water :angry:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
BUTTERBALL said:
Bush has grossly misjudged the whole sorry event, from start to finish.

Never before have we witnessed such ignorance from a world leader.

I would be more concerned about his advisors. Even if Bush were to go, his advisory team would pretty much stay in place - it's them that make the calls, he just articulates them. Badly, frequently, but he is a mouthpiece for the politics of his party.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
NMH said:
I wouldn't be giving Zep too much credit for that - they STOLE much of their material and their riffs from original blues tunes written by American negros. Some were considered extraordinarily obscure so they thought they would get away with it. Willie Dixon's estate successfully won back royalties but most others they stole from didn't or aren't around to get their credits.
I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it may have been Nellie Lutcher or Big Mama Thornton who wrote 'The Levee' - but LZ were a bunch of posing white boys who knew nothing about levees or living in the flatlands protected by them.

There is a cd out somewhere of tracks they basically lifted, added sustained overdriven guitar and screeching vocals to, and put (Plant, Page) under the title. Anyone doubting this, listen to 'You Need Love' by The Small Faces - which was in turn taken from Muddy Waters 'I Need Love'. Marriott heard 'Whole Lotta Love' and had to say "I couldn't make an issue of their doing the song, as we'd pinched it from Muddy Waters in the first place".
Don't get me wrong, I like Zep and their music, but the reality of their plagiarism should be known.

They are called dykes in England and Holland.

Memphis Minnie did a version. Who do you think built the levees in the first place? White people?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here