Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hürzeler’s (Brighton) Tactics

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Indeed. What I would say is that RDZ seemed to prioritise imposing his style immediately over results. We were 4th when he took over. We then took a couple of points from 5 games or something as he wanted to change everything fast.

Hürzeler seems to be more concerned with results. I think we’ll get to true Hürzelerball eventually but he simply won’t sacrifice points as RDZ did.
Maybe he’s smarter, less emotional and less up himself ???

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Indeed. What I would say is that RDZ seemed to prioritise imposing his style immediately over results. We were 4th when he took over. We then took a couple of points from 5 games or something as he wanted to change everything fast.

Hürzeler seems to be more concerned with results. I think we’ll get to true Hürzelerball eventually but he simply won’t sacrifice points as RDZ did.
That is harsh when you consider who we were playing in RDZ’s first few games! Even an on fire GP team would have probably stumbled in most of those games imo.

Liverpool, City, Spurs, bogey team Brentford and Forest

I will certainly not argue that FH is way more pragmatic than RDZ, with less ego, on what we have seen so far though.

Last edited:

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Everybody needs to find a "u" umlaut to type. He's our manager and it is Fabian Hürzeler.
I’m not a native German speaker but I thought it was OK to replace umlauted vowels with the “<vowel>e” construct if life is getting difficult and you can’t find the umlauted version. Admittedly it was at school 55 years ago but we were told that the umlaut was originally an “e” that, for some reason, started to be written above the vowel rather than after it. As time went by the “e”, above the vowel, when written, became corrupted into the umlaut. But I might be wrong.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Nahh.

Fab had a full preseason to get his style across.

RDZ was bought in mid season. Big difference. He wasn't sacrificing points

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I’m not a native German speaker but I thought it was OK to replace umlauted vowels with the “<vowel>e” construct if life is getting difficult and you can’t find the umlauted version. Admittedly it was at school 55 years ago but we were told that the umlaut was originally an “e” that, for some reason, started to be written above the vowel rather than after it. As time went by the “e”, above the vowel, when written, became corrupted into the umlaut. But I might be wrong.
It's absolutely standard practice to use an "e" if you don't have a keyboard with an umlaut.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
What’s been another interesting aspect of Fabian’s impact is our very high line in defence and, touch wood, how the defence have generally been able to keep a disciplined line to get the offsides. Eg Trossard was offside in the build up to Martin Odegaard’s missed chance.

It was actually Man United that seemed to have found a way to breach this high line by playing triangular passes and then releasing their wide men against us, but thankfully we came through that test.

I loved RDZ’s style of play which was incredibly brave in terms of playing out from the back but did leave us hopelessly open at times. Hurzeler seems to have developed our play more in terms of the defensive line.

In the recent Matts Weiffer interview with Glen Murray and Paul Hayward he mentions the word ‘scanning’ 2/3 times and the ploy to play the quick pass to create a quicker attack. I think the best example was his pass to Mitoma from his own box for our first goal against Everton.
I expect Hurzeler has been working with Weiffer on his expectations for these quicker transitions.
The change between RDZ and Fabian is stated as evolution of a possession style but I have to say that I’ve seen quite a big change in terms of our desire to attack quicker and have less obsession with possession at all costs.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Nope. RDZ didn't impose his style immediately, and continued playing the three at the back he found on his arrival. There were eight PL games until the WC break, and we didn't win until the seventh, against Chelsea.
We saw his 'philosophy' after the WC break, when he had a bonus (equivalent of a) pre-season to get his ideas across. Results really picked up thereafter:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What’s been another interesting aspect of Fabian’s impact is our very high line in defence and, touch wood, how the defence have generally been able to keep a disciplined line to get the offsides. Eg Trossard was offside in the build up to Martin Odegaard’s missed chance.

It was actually Man United that seemed to have found a way to breach this high line by playing triangular passes and then releasing their wide men against us, but thankfully we came through that test.

I loved RDZ’s style of play which was incredibly brave in terms of playing out from the back but did leave us hopelessly open at times. Hurzeler seems to have developed our play more in terms of the defensive line.

In the recent Matts Weiffer interview with Glen Murray and Paul Hayward he mentions the word ‘scanning’ 2/3 times and the ploy to play the quick pass to create a quicker attack. I think the best example was his pass to Mitoma from his own box for our first goal against Everton.
I expect Hurzeler has been working with Weiffer on his expectations for these quicker transitions.
The change between RDZ and Fabian is stated as evolution of a possession style but I have to say that I’ve seen quite a big change in terms of our desire to attack quicker and have less obsession with possession at all costs.
Great post but my recollection is that Weiffer mentioned scanning on more occasions in that interview.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Nope. RDZ didn't impose his style immediately, and continued playing the three at the back he found on his arrival. There were eight PL games until the WC break, and we didn't win until the seventh, against Chelsea.
We saw his 'philosophy' after the WC break, when he had a bonus (equivalent of a) pre-season to get his ideas across. Results really picked up thereafter:

Agree, I think that's very harsh. We played Spurs (and were unlucky to not get anything), Liverpool, and City away and absolutely battered Forest in a typical Potteresque performance v a park the bus team. The only real dissapointing result was Brentford away who were also very good that season. I'm not sure you could expect many brand new managers with no pre season to get that much more from those games.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
This is a great analysis video of Hürzeler’ tactics at St Pauli.

Well worth a watch if you are wondering why we sold Gilmour and signed the style of players we ended up purchasing. All our new signings make complete sense to me now.

The club has given Hürzeler some of the best potential ‘false 10’s’ in European football with the likes of Rutter, Gruda and O’Riley appearing to be perfect for the tactics he used in Germany. With Baleba and Wieffer as ‘false pivot’ options and players such as Hinshelwood and Kadıoğlu being able to convert from full back into central midfield, we look set.

Once players are back fit and have been trained and coached enough in Hürzelerball, I’m pretty sure he’ll implement his St Pauli tactics IN FULL.
Then, it’s possible that us seagulls will soar higher than we have ever done in our history.

Well that's amazingly fascinating and frightening - interesting days ahead methinks? UTA

papachris

If you just hold the 'u' when typing on your phone it will give you options. It's the same for any other special letters. I had to learn this as well when I emigrated as we have a lot of the extra letters here. It makes sense once you know

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
If you just hold the 'u' when typing on your phone it will give you options. It's the same for any other special letters. I had to learn this as well when I emigrated as we have a lot of the extra letters here. It makes sense once you know
Not if you are using a hardware keyboard, then its a case of hold the alt button and type 0252 and release the alt button.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here