Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield Town 0-2 Reading

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Well after our good performance on Saturday I am sure we all felt that progression from last season had been made. On the evidence of tonight then that theory can be put to bed. I do not want to get all doom and gloom but the almost limp display was a little hard to take after the Derby game.

The first thing that was noticable was the fact that Reading were hurting following the home defeat by Plymouth. They were busy and desperate to make amends for the loss on Saturday. We attempted to get the passing game going again which we used at Pride Park but the Royals would not let us. They closed us down incredibly quick and forced players in errors...This, I always say is one of the best tactics that can be deployed. It is much better to make your opponent play the ball rather than letting him play the ball.

Our passes were hurried and we hardly got any rythm going. Reading were also attacking and it was clearly worrying from the outset that our defence was looking a little shaky. McShane who can read the game well let himself down when it came to picking up players but he was by no means alone. In fact the whole defence looked dodgy. Dodd, who looked so assured against the Rams was at least 2 yards off the pace. Mayo seemed uncertain in the tackle and with us being harried out of the passing game he tooked to launching poor balls up the line.

After about 10 minutes we did put a move together but just as most of our attacks did on Saturday we were let down by the final ball. By this time though the Royals were already threatening as they found joy down the flanks and one time Sidwell fizzed a ball along the 6 yard box which Kitson was unable to get on the end of.

To highight the point above of our defence not picking players up, there were a number of occasions when their players found themselves space in the box. One time Kitson was able receive a pass from Convey but his tame shot was straight at Henderson. Luckily for us he held the shot as he has already shown that his handling is not all that assured. I do not want to get on his back too much but I think he is definately a worry, not only for his handling but also his enthusiasm for rushing off his line. He did this in first half when he came to try and claim a free-kick dropped into the edge of the area. The situtation was misjudged and the ball fell to a Reading player who again was able to elude his marker. But in the time it took him to get the ball under control we were able to crowd him out and the danger was averted.

Reading decided it was time for them to take the lead and they did. Little took a swinging free-kick over from their left wing which missed everybody and fooled Henderson, who should have had it, as the ball went in. I thought at first that Ibrahima Sonko who, had lost McShane, had got a touch but it turns out that it went straight in. This means the fingers get pointed at Henderson and I think we really need to sign Blayney or get someone else in as Kuipers may still be weeks away from a return.

With the Berkshire club in the lead they took their foot off the pedal somewhat. This should have been our cue to pile on the pressure but although we had plenty of possesion Reading kept us at bay fairly easily. Oatway, who had a decent game and was one of those to emerge from the game with some credit, did well in being able to find Kazim-Richards with a couple of reverse passes. Maybe Charlie is striking up a telepathic link with CKR, who himself did not have the best of games.

Colin still has a reluctance to challenge for headers and wants to have a little bit more time on the ball than Championship defenders are prepared to give him. He might have got away with that at League 2 but not at this level. But he does look a good player he will learn and be better for it. CKR was well shackled by the Royals defence but did work hard to find areas where he could receive the ball but generally the service was poor. Hammond and Reid looked good again but Chippy had a very off game by his standards. Shame because Carpenter is the player you would be looking to help create for the strikers but it just was not happening for him today.

We did manage to get a couple of shots off before the interval with both Kazim-Richards and Reid stinging the palms of Hahnemann, although I am not sure CKR's effort was not actually a cross. In both cases the resulting corners were easliy dealt with by the Reading defence.

The second half followed the pattern of most the first half really with us enjoying most of the possession but Reading kept us at arms length with not too much bother. Especially as we kept playing set-pieces straight into the hands of Hahnemann. On that, firstly, we should not be playing balls into an area where we know the 'keeper will claim and secondly on every occasion he was unchallenged. They must have been the simplest catches Hahnemann has ever taken.

Leon Knight was working hard again but it was not enough to save us. The impressive Reid had a fierce shot pushed over the bar. Oatway had a shot deflected for a corner after the ball fell to him following a free-kick. He seemed surprised that ball was going to him as it looked to take him ages to set himself for the first-time shot.

The disappointing Dodd was replaced by Frederico Turienzo who at one point had a good shot tipped over the bar. Other than that I will need to watch more of him before an opinion is formed. I believe he has only trained once this week and it showed. His touch was a little iffy, he was fairly slow and had a McCammon like ability to lose every arial challenge he went for. Hopefully the more he trains and plays then the better he will become.

I often have this habit of going to the bog during the game and missing Huddersfield's goals. So, thinking that it might aid us in our search for an equaliser I went to point Percy at the porcelain. Well, true to form I missed a goal...Reading's second!! So not only did it backfire but I cannot describe it for you here.

With time running out Colin came off and was replaced by Jake Robinson. He was lively and what we were crying out for as he had them backtracking and worried where before our build-up play was slow. I said our final balls were letting us down but maybe with Robinson playing his movement could help give another option for a pass. So there is 2 decent options I have highlighted that he can give us from the off. But there is only one way to find out and I would love to see him given a proper chance but not at the expense of Knight. We can play both of them.

That pretty much sums it up. I know Reading are a decent side but I am still disappointed as we need to pick up more points at home this season. There is no way we are going to have as much success on our travels as we did last season. We need to get win out of Crewe for a bit of confidence.

Town & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing HT

As ever, some good points and ones I disagree with - all good stuff. But what's with the vendetta against McShane? I know you wanted to play someone like Elphick in front of him, but surely even you must realise by now that the boy oozes class, with his pace and aggression being the perfect foil for Butters' calm solidity?

Tough to blame Henderson for either goal too. He looked better tonight, albeit some his kicking was a bit wasteful. Couple of decent saves. But yes, Blayney is still better.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Absolute BALONEY.

McShane is far too good to be playing for us. The boy is class.

He reads the game superbly, times his tackles excellently and actually brings out the best in those around him.

There were periods when we were just lumping balls forward but then McShane would get it, calmly pass the ball into the midfielders feet or play a one two and get a decent move going.

When McShane was playing the ball into Oatway and Carpenters feet he was effectively introducing them to the game. Balls up to the front two just bipass out central midfielders making it hard for them to get a foothold in the game and means they spend their time chasing shadows.

McShane is class and anyone who does not realise this and who is not ridiculously greatful he is playing for us clearly knows nothing about this glorious game.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Richie Morris said:
Absolute BALONEY.

McShane is far too good to be playing for us. The boy is class.....
McShane is class and anyone who does not realise this and who is not ridiculously greatful he is playing for us clearly knows nothing about this glorious game.

110% true - McShane should have been given the Albion MOTM award (Reid got it). But Thimble's point about the way Reading played is spot on - they harried us all the time, and we only got passing for short spells. Having said that, our passing game is obviously SO much better than last season.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
A brief, unconsidered reaction. Firstly, the disappointments:
Dodd - ok defending, but dead ball stuff was cr@p. I had been expecting a lot after the reports from Derby, but both corners and free kicks were slow, high, hanging - generally far too close to keeper.
CKR - one great shot, which their keeper did well to parry, but otherwise struggled to get into the game. To be honest, Knight and CKR played too far apart, and didn't have an opportunity to gel. CKR substituted for Robinson near the end, if I remember rightly, and Jake looked much more like it.
The midfield - we still need a creative midfielder, and have very little width.

Good points were Henderson - possibly at fault for first goal, but couldn't really do much with the second, which was a point blank header. In between, three excellent saves, and gained confidence as the game wore on.
McShane - absolute class.
Reid - nice touches
Hammond - strong, but tendency to fade for periods. Didn't pick up Little, who caused lots of probs in first half.
Knight - as usual, most skilful player on the pitch.

Turienzo played last 20 mins or so, and looked short of fitness and match practice, which I guess he is.

Reading deserved to win, but unlike last season when I saw us lose 2-0 to Plymouth at the same stage, I'm still pretty optimistic - we can certainly pass the ball a lot better this season. We just need to practice our corners a bit!

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
I think that some people need to watch the game. There is no vendetta against McShane but yes, I would rather see one ours given a chance. McShane is a good player, he showed that on Saturday and I mentioned above his reading of the game is superb. but the whole defence looked off the pace yesterday. The biggets cricticism of them yesterday as I said above is that they failed to consistently pick up their markers. That goes for every one of them in defence. I think some need to re-read my report or, better still, watch the game better.

I feel sorry for McShane because this website is doing exaclty what is does best with him. Give him a little more time please. I remember people on here creaming themselves over, Barrett, Yeates and even Yelldell after they played 1 or 2 games. I do not think McShane will go the same way as the other 3 mentioned because he does look good, but some seem uncapable of understanding that I do think he is a quality player. But please try and keep a lid on things for a while, eh?

I wish some fans understood more...

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

You still would play the likes of Elphick or El Abd over McShane?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well why isn't El Abd being given a go at right back? If Dodd can play anywhere across the back surely it would be better with him at left back and Mayo being dropped out of the side? El Abd is quicker, stronger and a better ball player than Kezza IMO.

Oh yeah. PLAY HAMMOND IN THE f***ing CENTRE FFS.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
OI Town won 1-0 against Bristol City...what is the matter with you, you foooool

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Thimble Keegan said:

I wish some fans understood more...

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Don't patronise your fellow supporters just because they don't agree with everything you say.

You seem to think you are the world authority on all things Albion - perhaps you should apply for McGhee's job :lolol:

I have been following the Albion for over 30 years, consider myself reasonably knowledgable about the game but I will always accept that there will be differing opinions and fellow supporters will see different things from the same game/players.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If it wasnt for McShane we would have lost by a a few more last night.

His best asset is that he reads the game so well. Because of ths and the fact he is covering the rest of the back four he is not always going to be man marking.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Richie Morris said:
If it wasnt for McShane we would have lost by a a few more last night.

His best asset is that he reads the game so well. Because of ths and the fact he is covering the rest of the back four he is not always going to be man marking.

Does this explain why you think he should play in midfield, Richie?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I personally thought Henderson should have claimed the balls that lead to both their goals. Also his distribution which is supposedly his strong point was mediocre, I remember a couple of dreadful kicks. Not sure he's the right man to be honest.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
McShane - Quality

Henderson - Big pile of poo. We need Blaney. Now.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Defending is all about protecting the back four. Our back four had no protection last night which meant Dodd and Mayo were exposed as we McShane and Butters.

If McShane, or Nicolas, were playing in front of the back four in a holding role, they would get more protection.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
I would not play El-Abd over McShane. As for the other youth teamers it is hard to say as they have only been seen in friendlies and you cannot read too much into them. As it stands McShane has to stay there because he is a good player. For somer reason it seems just because I would like to see our given a try everyone assumes I think McShane is crap...I repeat again, I do not think he is crap. As I said in the report (if it gets read properly) that he is very good at reading the game, but the whole defence had problems marking and picking people up.

I am not here to patronise fellow fans. If some think that then I cannot help it. We all cannot agree as that would be dull. I mean there must be some out there that think McCammon is good. I have been watching the Albion long enough and I know what I see, but being called a "world authority" is a very high title...I am not quite up to that standard yet, but I am close. I have no problem disagreeing with what I write so long as it is genuine. I suppose I get asked to be shot at by bothering to actually do a match report.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here