Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HTC HD2 good phone or bad phone?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Does it run Android? If so you'll be a happy boy.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Sadly it runs Windows Mobile. If it wasn't for this it would be a rather decent piece of kit.

Shame really

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I'm waiting until the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 arrives in April before upgrading from my current Nokia N95. I'm hoping the Xperia is going to be the daddy.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Great move, best phone on the planet right now, apparently going to get an upgrade to Windows 7 at some point as well. Everyone bitching about windows 6.5 obvious doesnt understand just how flexible it is as an OS either, you can do just about anything with it

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Its being reviewed on the Gadget Show right now.

Similar to what's been said on here it is getting a slating for its operating system

Great move, best phone on the planet right now, apparently going to get an upgrade to Windows 7 at some point as well. Everyone bitching about windows 6.5 obvious doesnt understand just how flexible it is as an OS either, you can do just about anything with it

I got one a couple of weeks back and agree its an awesome phone. Nice and swift...and surfing is a dream on it, unfortunatly it loves the battery quite a bit, but if you can charge it daily that no biggy.

I've heard the Windows Phone 7 rumour too, I hope it releases on the device, but reading the specs for the new OS it requires 4 touch points for multi touch where the HD2 only has 2.

Surely it doesn't have enough RAM to run even Windows 7 starter.
I agree with you about Windows Mobile though, I thought version 5 was OK and I still use it.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Surely it doesn't have enough RAM to run even Windows 7 starter.
I agree with you about Windows Mobile though, I thought version 5 was OK and I still use it.

I meant the newly announced Windows PHONE 7, apologies for not making that clear, if you wanted to run a PC OS on it however I reckon most linux distros would work.

Breaking news is that Apple are suing HTC over 20 patents they hold on the iphone:
Apple sues HTC over iPhone patents - Yahoo! News UK
Apple has filed a lawsuit against HTC claiming infringement of 20 patents relating to the iPhone's user interface, hardware and architecture.

The lawsuit was filed in the US, as opposed to China where HTC is based.

"We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs.

"We've decided to do something about it. We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours."

Reason: Sorry, not breaking news! just found this dated 22 Oct BBC NEWS | Business | Nokia suing Apple over the iPhone

Apple made similar allegations against Nokia in December. Bruce Sewell, Apple's general counsel and senior vice president, said at the time that other companies "must compete with us by inventing their own technologies, not just by stealing ours".

HTC declined to comment directly on the patent claims, but did issue a statement. "HTC is a mobile technology innovator and patent holder that has been very focused over the past 13 years on creating many of the most innovative smartphones," the firm said.

"HTC values patent rights and their enforcement, but is also committed to defending its own technology innovations. HTC only learned of Apple's actions this morning via media reports, and therefore we have not yet had the opportunity to investigate the filings.

The firm added that until it has conducted this investigation, it is unable to offer comment on the validity of the claims being made against it.

Last edited:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Ive got one and loving it, only OS that does proper flash and HTML 5 ...

unlike android you can choose where to install your apps (ie you wont be bitching in a few months that your ROMS full and cant install anything else), a fully multitasking fully custom OS as well, anyone who slates WM 6.5 really doesn't know how to get the best out of it !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here