Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HR / Contract question re: Bank Hols

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just been 'reminded' by HR at work, that the bank holiday a week on Tuesday, is not a 'proper' bank holiday and we are expected to work, as our contracts indicate 8 days bank holidays allowance a year, and this year there is 9.

They have requested any staff use holiday to book this day off.

I am pretty certain they can't do this, but they are adamant, as well as it being completely pointless as no suppliers and very little customers will be open anyway!

Does anyone know legally where I stand?

There was an article on the Beeb about this the other week, which I now can't find. edit: found it BBC News - Diamond Jubilee: Your rights to a day off work

Basically, if your contract says you are entitled to 'all standard bank holidays' or similar, they have a get out clause, as this is not a standard bank holiday, so they can make you work it. If it says 'all bank holidays' then they have to give it to you.

That was at least the gist of it.

Looking at your post, if your contract states that you are entitled to '8 bank holidays' then yes, they can force you to work it.

D

Deleted member 22389

Just been 'reminded' by HR at work, that the bank holiday a week on Tuesday, is not a 'proper' bank holiday and we are expected to work, as our contracts indicate 8 days bank holidays allowance a year, and this year there is 9.

They have requested any staff use holiday to book this day off.

I am pretty certain they can't do this, but they are adamant, as well as it being completely pointless as no suppliers and very little customers will be open anyway!

Does anyone know legally where I stand?

I found this
Jubilee Bank Holiday Allowing Time Off

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bah! If I hadn't booked to go away, I'd just 'work it' from home and save the holiday.

Bad form in my opinion, especially as it seems totally pointless.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If I was an employer I would be VERY pissed off that we've had this bank holiday foisted upon us. The arrogance of the royal family...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Bad Form indeed, however as said previously, they can ask you to work it.

The Tuesday is a Public holiday not a Bank Holiday, however I guess not to many people in the Modern World get all there bank holidays off without having to do some form of work.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I was an employer I would be VERY pissed off that we've had this bank holiday foisted upon us. The arrogance of the royal family...

The government is telling us to work harder and the Queen is saying take a day off. It's very confusing.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Did you get the wedding off last year? Seem to remember there being issues with people not getting that off when they thought they were entitled too

Jozza

Aug 8, 2011
This all boils down to your contract. The loophole for companies here is the Tuesday is classed as a "public holiday" not a "bank holiday" so many people are being made to work it, take holiday or take unpaid leave.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I like the way we are told we're the laziest in Europe compared to other nations. Why is it they get additional bank and public holidays ? France , Germany , Italy , Spain , Portugal etc etc all get "Saints" days and national/independence days off extra to the regular ones.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I like the way we are told we're the laziest in Europe compared to other nations. Why is it they get additional bank and public holidays ? France , Germany , Italy , Spain , Portugal etc etc all get "Saints" days and national/independence days off extra to the regular ones.

Don't they have something ridiculous like 32 bank/public holidays a year?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And they have a proper May Day celebration. In Berlin they spend the day travelling around the city on a truck, dressed in black, blasting out techno music whilst torching Porsches; what's not too like?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't they have something ridiculous like 32 bank/public holidays a year?

Maybe it's because they work so hard they can take all these extra days off? The Germans are well known for their efficiency; if you can do two days work in one day then take the second day off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here