Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Howard Webb to ref on Saturday

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Glad that we have a decent referee.

In my opinion, he is currently the best ref around. I do, however, worry that Premier League referees alway give a slight advantage to the Premier League side - they know the players and, perhaps more importantly, the players know the referee.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Last time I remember Webb reffing us was away to Crewe, first game of the season about 5 years ago. It took me a WEEK to get my voice back, from screaming at him. HORRIBLE 'homer' display.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think Webb is pretty decent ref, and did as good a job as any with the WC Final which must have been an utterly crap game to ref.

I of course reserve the right to change my mind on saturday and despatch huge amounts of abuse his way.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Going against the grain here, but I can't stomach Howard Webb.

Granted, he had a fantastic World Cup (the only blemish being in the final, when he should have sent off De Jong in the final for his X-rated challenge on Xavi Alonso).

However, bar that, I think he's an awful ref who has got a dreadful knack of awarding soft penalties to the home side. United's against Liverpool in the third round of this season's FA Cup and Austria's 95th minute one against Poland in Euro 2008 are two that spring to mind.

Fingers crossed he doesn't repeat this trick come Saturday afternoon.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
At least he knows what a foul looks like, should protect our FLAIRNIACS against Stoke's strong-arm tactics.

erm, as already said, didn't you watch the World Cup Final?

Great, we're going to get the shit kicked out of us and he won't do a thing about it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Our record with Howard Webb in charge...

Crewe 2 vs 1 Brighton
Preston 2 vs 2 Brighton
Southend 2 vs 0 Brighton

P3 W0 D1 L2 F3 A6

...in charge of Stoke

West Ham 3 vs 1 Stoke
Stoke 1 vs 0 Blackburn
Stoke 0 vs 0 Everton
Burnley 1 vs Stoke 1
Sunderland 0 vs 0 Stoke
Blackburn 0 vs 0 Stoke
Stoke 0 vs 2 Man Utd
Hull 1 vs 2 Stoke
Stoke 1 vs 0 Blackburn
Aston Villa 2 vs 2 Stoke
Stoke 1 vs 1 Burnley
Cardiff 0 vs 1 Stoke
Derby 0 vs 3 Stoke
Stoke 1 vs 2 Watford
Stoke 1 vs 0 Bristol City
Stoke 2 vs 1 Bournemouth

P16 W7 D6 L3 F17 A13

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Last time I remember Webb reffing us was away to Crewe, first game of the season about 5 years ago. It took me a WEEK to get my voice back, from screaming at him. HORRIBLE 'homer' display.
the Kenny Lunt game with the goal that never was?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
That really is the full set for him now. They said he could struggle to motivate himself this season after having the FA Cup Final, Champions League Final and World Cup Final in his locker, but now he can add the Gus Bus to his collection.

I would expect him to announce his retirement after the game. What else is left for him?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He's a good ref and has improved considerably - the World Cup final must have been an absolute nightmare for anyone to referee, he did well in the circumstances (apart from not sending off De Jong). I think he'll be fair to both sides.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good for Edna though - didn't she say she had the hots for him? This could be her big chance :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here