Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Howard Webb decisions today

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
To me it shows how tough a job it is. Am sure it looked a clear penalty to him, even though replay shows it was a dive. Sending off I think he was quite right sending Gerrard off. But he wont please everyone. Personally I like him as a referee

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
He definitely did not get the penalty decision right and the lino surely should have seen it? That was a homer penalty. Sending off, spot on.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
penalty wrong, sending off right, thou i thought the challange by rafael was worse just beforehand which should have been red

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Don't think anyone can say the penalty was 100% wrong, I think it was a bit soft, but its part of the game, we've won softer penalties and had softer go against us.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Couldn't this have gone on the Man United v Liverpool thread??

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Don't think anyone can say the penalty was 100% wrong, I think it was a bit soft, but its part of the game, we've won softer penalties and had softer go against us.

Not the point though, it was a stone wall homer.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It was a soft pen, but he dived in and brushed Berbatov, who went down easily. You can see why it was given. Sending off may be a little harsh, but the right decision IMHO

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

From a decent position it was an obvous dive - he took a step after the tackle before going down. Ref was poorly placed though and as usual got no help from his lino. As i said earlier, though, not surprised it was given and not just because it was Utd at OT.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

In fairness that is right. It was a dive and there may or may not have been a touch. Silly of the defender to put his foot in when there was no need.

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
Off on a tangent ....

I know it's his Belfast accent , but i get unreasonably irritated when i hear Alan Green refering to him as 'Hard Webb'.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
It was clearly 100% wrong.
Its a contact sport,tackles are made and contact is made.Just because a player falls over, it don't mean a foul is made.
Some people seem to think that as a player makes "contact" with an opponent then a foul is committed :shrug:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
ALL of the players cheat and they try to con the Ref. All of them, all the time. That being the case I don't know how the have the gall to complain when a Ref gets the decision wrong.

I haven't seen it - but am reminded that refs also have to take into account the RAMIFICATIONS of a tackle as well as the physical contact (or lack thereof). If a player impedes another who has aothority over the ball, and without touching the ball - then he possibly influenced the outcome unfairly. A desperate dive for a ball he cannot get, might prevent an attacker from keeping the ball when he's successfully dribbled or sped past that defender.

This takes a lot more careful consideration in a quick few moments, so requires a ref that's seriously good and very experienced, of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here