Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Would You Improve Football?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Nothing to much wrong with the game it'self just going along as a paying customer that has ruined it for me.Poor value in my books and i hate all seaters.

Ronnie

Jan 6, 2009
The Herb Garden
I. Get rid of the 2 extra officials who do absolutely nothing.
2. Bring in goal line technology.
3. Respect for referees - the FA should look at Rugby Union/League.
4. Stop the clock - therefore no extra time and fans can see how long left.
5. I know its the basis of football and everyone knows the new rules !!!!!
but lets have a trial season of NO OFFSIDE and recreate THE GOAL HANGER.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Each goal scored or conceded represents a league point

3 points for a win, 1 for a draw, 0 for a loss still, BUT
1 point for each goal, 1 point deducted for each goal conceded

Will make both teams go for goals whether they are winning or losing

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Tell Referees assistants that they should only flag for BLATANT offsides (not situations where it takes TV replays to decide whether he got it right/wrong by 2 inches or so!).
This would finally give the advantage back to the attacking team. They say that the current rules already provide for this, but they don't, because so many of the lino's are too flag happy.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There was a long thread on this a couple of weeks ago. I'd go with:
-terraces
-beer on the terraces
-no Scott Mcgleish
-Scottish teams into the FA cup for some cracking away days

Make the club mascots go in goal.

As with bar billiards have a big black peg on the centre circle. Knock it over and you lose all your goals.

Jumpers for goalposts.

Have a power play 10 minutes where managers can nominate at any time in the game. If you score during your power play it counts as double - you are awarded 2 goals.

....hang on, that last one might actually work.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Exactly how long ago do think there were goal hangers (in the real game that is, not just when you played at school). Take it that you are not a fan of the passing game then!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
1. Reintroduce the rule which benefits RU refs in that any dissent and the free kick is moved 10 yrds forward and tell the referees to enforce it at the first dissent rather than when a player that has been ranting and in their face for 5 minutes.
2. Goal line technology although I don't think it would improve the game tremendously as there aren't many incidents when it is required.
3. Remove the rule that says you can't punish a player further if the ref saw the incident and chose not to take action.
3. Sin bins.
4. I also agree with stopping the clock so we actually get 90 minutes of football rather than about the 65 minutes we currently get.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Introduce world wide salary cap restrictions.

I agree with this, the public are getting very bored with players who say they can't manage on a weekly wage that is two to three times the annual national average. The fact is now I see that Arsenal have broken the £100 barrier for a seat. The game is starting to price itself out of many peoples' price range and thus they'll look for alternative entertainment.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Designated safe standing areas a la Germany.
Goal-line technology.
Get rid of this "the referee has already dealt with it" nonsense. If a player is booked for a challenge they should've been sent for, they should receive a three match ban regardless.
Freedom of speech for managers.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
1. Ensure/enforce respect for the officials.
2. Punish diving properly
3. Take timekeeping out of the hands of the ref, and have concrete rules as to when the game finishes. E.g. decide it's either when time is up regardless of what's happening on the pitch, or like rubgy, when the ball next goes dead. Not the half-arsed vaguaries we have now, which is sometime after the additional minutes, providing an attacking move is over-ish.
4. Ban John Terry for life.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Surrounding the ref is an automatic (and appliable retrospectively) yellow card. Only the captain is allowed to talk to the ref.
Ticket price cap.
Players banned for 3 games if their wife appears on TV
Feed Sep Blatter to the pigs.
Rachel Riley only allowed to wear swimwear on Countdown

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Surrounding the ref is an automatic (and appliable retrospectively) yellow card. Only the captain is allowed to talk to the ref.
Ticket price cap.
Players banned for 3 games if their wife appears on TV
Feed Sep Blatter to the pigs.
Rachel Riley only allowed to wear swimwear on Countdown

One of those rules I like, a lot. :)

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Introduce world wide salary cap restrictions.

Yes this is the way to go. If anyone's power in the game needs to be restricted it's the players' agents'.

Plus some rules from US Football like individual club expenditure capping and maybe even pooling young UK talent in a draft suystem, although presumably complicated by the Scottish League system being separate, would be desirable but challenging to implement.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I. Get rid of the 2 extra officials who do absolutely nothing.
2. Bring in goal line technology.
3. Respect for referees - the FA should look at Rugby Union/League.
4. Stop the clock - therefore no extra time and fans can see how long left.

4 is a good point, would we have a hooter at the end though like Rugby League? 5 I fear would generate a breed of "Super-Crouches" i.e. failed basketball stars of 7' upwards purely on the pitch to act as a forward target for a Route 1 hoof.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here