Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How will you feel if you vote for the losing side in the referendum ?

How will you feel if you vote for the losing side in the referendum ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't think it helps that the higher profile Brexiters are people like Gove, Hopkins, Farage, Johnson and organisations like Britain First. They are quite divisive in how they articulate themselves, which is unfortunate for people who put forward reasonable concerns/arguments for Leave.

On NSC, it's the usual people with their vitriolic statements and contempt ON BOTH SIDES.

I would agree with some of that and say the (official) Remain campaign hasn't helped by waging a relentless OTT project fear campaign which has further polarised opinions

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would agree with some of that and say the (official) Remain campaign hasn't helped by waging a relentless OTT project fear campaign which has further polarised opinions

You call it 'Project Fear', but honestly, what would you expect.

They are presenting a worse case scenario, in the event of a Leave vote, to try to influence people to take what they see as the safer option.

Should they have put up posters saying "If we leave then everything will probably be alright, to be honest, but there's a chance of economic turn-down"?

What are you actually accusing them of? Exaggeration? What about the '70 million Turks' who are all moving here tomorrow? Do YOU think 70 million are on their way? Should Leave have (honestly) said "There is a chance of Turkey joining the EU in about 30 years time, and some of them might want to move here". Or exaggerate to make their case?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Some of the many comments made against supporters of Brexit both on NSC and elsewhere ... Racists, Xenophobes, Ignorant Little Englanders, Sun reading scum, Nazis etc etc.

Well I for one have not accused anyone of that, I would say however the the views of The Sun are in fact the views of an Australian/American businessman, and, should be viewed in that light.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Country has gone to the wall, sold down the river, it has been slowly going down the pan for last 15 years.
Basic manners, common sense have all gone out of the window.

Depressingly, the result of the vote either way won't change that. 5th biggest economy in the world ?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

I get what you're saying but personally I think there's a difference between using economic forecasts and pictures of immigrants.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You call it 'Project Fear', but honestly, what would you expect.

They are presenting a worse case scenario, in the event of a Leave vote, to try to influence people to take what they see as the safer option.

Should they have put up posters saying "If we leave then everything will probably be alright, to be honest, but there's a chance of economic turn-down"?

What are you actually accusing them of? Exaggeration? What about the '70 million Turks' who are all moving here tomorrow? Do YOU think 70 million are on their way? Should Leave have (honestly) said "There is a chance of Turkey joining the EU in about 30 years time, and some of them might want to move here". Or exaggerate to make their case?

I am aware of the political dark arts of manipulating the public to get the desired result but the Remain campaign has been rather OTT and cack handed. If they keep banging the same scare drum it loses it's effect and eventually people cover their ears. Or just laugh.

If I was a remain supporter I would have hoped for a more sensible positive campaign laying out the supposed benefits of EU membership while pointing out the potential downsides in a more credible manner. Saying that it has worked for the Tories in the past.. bang on about the economy relentlessly 'Labours Tax bombshell' etc.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I suppose that I'll be looking forward to the Scots referendum in a couple of years that will bring their participation in the Union to an end. Then, I believe (although less likely), Northern Ireland may go its own way at some stage beyond.

My main concern is the erosion of equality with opportunity and employment rights. I worry about a return to a class based society. Whether that will be realised or not remains to be seen. I'll certainly continue my fight against the political right.

I just want it over and done with. At least we'll have a clearer view ahead.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I just hope that there is no triumphalism from the winning side and that the victory speeches - and behaviour afterwards - recognise the strength of feeling on both sides and say that the other side's opinions will be taken on board and considered.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well I for one have not accused anyone of that, I would say however the the views of The Sun are in fact the views of an Australian/American businessman, and, should be viewed in that light.

So how should we view the opinions of Obama,Lagarde,and all the other foreigners sticking their oar in?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
He's already on another planet.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I would be disappointed, but unsurprised. I don't think anyone I've voted for have won their elections.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I am fully prepared to be on the losing side. If Remain win then i believe all the debts, the lies, things held back in the run up, Cameron's meager "deals" to be not adhered to etc.......to come out. Then i believe those that voted Remain will be disappointed to be on the winning side.......you know who you are.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
One small, but very significant factor you have overlooked about Scotland. With the collapse in the oil price, the case for independence goes away. Economically, they would be much poorer. They SNP would not want another referendum, and they know it would be a no vote.

Oil although important within the Scottish Economy - It is not dependent on it

Scotland’s leading export industries

There are five sectors that account for almost two-thirds of Scotland’s exports:

• Food and beverages
• Chemicals
• Business services
• Electronics and instrument engineering
• Mechanical engineering.

Other important Scottish exports

• Textiles
• Oil and gas and fuel-based equipment
• Renewable energies, equipment and technology

Scotland's top export markets:

* USA
* Netherlands
* France
* Germany

The issue facing the UK if it votes to Leave then Scotland will demand another Referendum. Or alternatively, they will invoke ''go it alone talks to remain the EU''. If they then do this then it will almost certainly lead to the break up of the Union. That would be catastrophic because England would have a Tory Government for a Generation.

Why ? - Simply because, key to Labour overturning the results of the last Election would be Labours need to win back the Scottish seats from the SNP. Now although I think Scotland should have voted to leave the Union last year I was always fearful that in England there would be a Conservative Government for 20 years or more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Same here...I moved the last of my savings out of the U.K. this week.

I suppose that is the difference, i live here and want what i feel is best/support for my country, thus my savings are here, you do not live here and can not wait to shift your savings out, whilst still telling us what is best..........priceless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here