Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how was your travel tonight?

gully07

Sep 26, 2010
hassocks
was a nightmare from mill lane arrived there at 6.30 due to driving back from work in crawley popped into burgess hill to pick the boy up got into my seat just as the game started something needs sorting

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Last night was horrendus I left immediately after the final whistle and finally got back home in Lancing at 11.50. We can not expand to 30,000 until Falmer station can cope, as last night it was apparent it can not even with 16,000 for an evening game. I can see me having to get a taxi back to Lancing from Brighton if a midweek cup game goes to extra time.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Because of the signalling only one train can run between Lewes and Brighton at a time which takes 15 minutes. My guess is that by sitting at Falmer that train will block up other services further down the line, for instance on Saturday if that train left Lewes at 4.40 and arrived at Falmer at 4.47 then sat and waited until 5.10 because of the large amount of injury time, many other services would be blocked further down the line to the east not being able to move until that Falmer one arrived at Brighton Station at 5.18. You have to remember that a lot of other people are using the trains on a Saturday who do not go to football and expect that service to keep with the timetable.

are you 100% sure about this? because a number of trains arrived in quick succession last night (as they did on Saturday actually). i'd had a few beers by then, but i swear 3 different trains were up on the departures board from between 10.15 and around 10.35 - i caught the middle one after a 10 minute wait. there were loads coming in, definitely wasn't a 15 minutes gap between them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From reading this thread post match
Trains: Shambles
Buses: Shambes
Car Park: Shambles
P&R Mithras: Shambles
P&R Racecourse: Works Well
Private Coaches/Mini Buses: Works Well

this is for a crowd of 16,200...

Yup. Add another five thousand punters in the mix and nothing at all works for an evening game.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
are you 100% sure about this? because a number of trains arrived in quick succession last night (as they did on Saturday actually). i'd had a few beers by then, but i swear 3 different trains were up on the departures board from between 10.15 and around 10.35 - i caught the middle one after a 10 minute wait. there were loads coming in, definitely wasn't a 15 minutes gap between them.
This is so , seemed to be around seven minutes between each train at one point, I caught the middle one also.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
How's things? Didn't go last night, but was thinking of taking the young'un to one of the evening games coming up, but been worried about the trains etc. This sounds like a good option for me too. I take it you can't you use the travel vouchers on this one? My other option other than the train is the P bus service from Portslade Station, but no one has mentioned that one yet.

Still thinking of bringing the boy along to football training, only we've been so busy over the summer, so maybe see you up there soon.

Yes definately worth it...Its a bit more expensive but gets you there and back - especially if you want to take little one..

No probs re training - that time of year eh? We're going to change to a drop in type thing which I'll fill you in on...Drop me a line when you want to start training and I'll meet you down there and if you want to come back to mine to get changed and a lift to the match afterwards then we can sort something out!

Mr Is

Feb 10, 2011
Left on full time whistle, got back to Lewes at 11 last night!

Got to Falmer Station by 10 to10pm and waited for nearly an hour to get on the train, only one went through in the first 40 mins and when we did get on and packed in like sausages the announcement was that those wanting to get off at Lewes had to be in the front 5 carriages! Nobody could move or knew which carriage they were in. There simply need to be more trains at the peak times.

Uridium

May 30, 2011
Thats a concern, as when we asked a steward which was the queue for the racecourse P&R we were directed to the back of a humongously long queue, gave up and went back to the station. If the racecourse one was being barely used, where was the proper queueing system?
Queuing system was poor on Gills game. Much better on all three previous. Depends on the stewards it seems. They need to react and adapt quickly. If you can avoid Mill Road I strongly recommend it. Will be going to Mithras for Blackpool game. A longer drive but certainly expect to get almost straight on a bus post game - especially as they have double deckers (can't do that for Mill Road!)

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
.Note to self:- Give Dick's Bar a miss after the next evening game and you might get home an hour earlier.

Not sure about that. I was on the same train as you (and then in the Lansdown!) but we left from the E Stand straight after applauding the players off and that was the first train we could get on. The main problem was getting out of the stand, (we were right at the front in the Family area). For some reason it was much slower than Saturday.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just out of interest, how long would it take to walk to Brighton station (or Lewes, if it's possible) from Falmer? ???

Going towards Brighton, Its about 45 minutes to the bottom of the Lewes Road by the big Sainsburys, by which point you start to get non-football-stuffed buses stopping. Plus stuffed buses start dropping reasonable numbers of people of. Most of the bus stops en route have electronic boards indicating when the next bus is due, so if its 2 minutes away, always worth the wait to see if theres any space, else if its 10 minutes away just keep walking. IMHO walking it into town is by far the best option for midweek games. At least you're heading towards where you want to be.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Going towards Brighton, Its about 45 minutes to the bottom of the Lewes Road by the big Sainsburys, by which point you start to get non-football-stuffed buses stopping. Plus stuffed buses start dropping reasonable numbers of people of. Most of the bus stops en route have electronic boards indicating when the next bus is due, so if its 2 minutes away, always worth the wait to see if theres any space, else if its 10 minutes away just keep walking. IMHO walking it into town is by far the best option for midweek games. At least you're heading towards where you want to be.

Top advice, thanks mate :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here