Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how was your travel tonight?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I agree with earlier poster that we shouldn't expect just to hop out of a 20,000 game and be on our way but it's pretty shambolic and terribly uncoordinated.

I hope the club respond quickly to all these posts. Didn't go last night but Saturday was painful as hell for Mill Road and trains and on site parking didn't look good. I assume the club transport manager is listing all this stuff and looking at each mode of transport and each direction and figuring out what improvements required for each. I looked on ATC and it seems we aren't to ask questions as they are all lumped together but if anyone thinks that's enough then think again.

My really random idea would be build a slip from stadium straight on to A27 would help cars and buses get away much quicker - no doubt a safety thing.

Not a hope of getting approval for additional seating till well fixed indeed I doubt the club would even apply

I also wonder how long the newly acquired and returning fans (which the club really needs if it's to push on) will continue if this is to be the standard.

IMO immediate, decisive and effective action required - plus a statement from the club on what it thinks and what it plans - for all I know they may think it's fine or just in need of a tweak here and there

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Our bus had a spot of bother getting up the hill because of the big backsides of the giant 4x4s. Not sure a double-decker would find it easy. To get up the hill in the first place, they have to go under the bridge. If they avoided the bridge, then they would have to go up and down the hill, and do a turn. Impossible, because of all the parked cars and the lack of space.

Ok. Cheers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I left early, at 21:30, and walked straight on to the 21:36 and away back to Brighton. Four minutes at the station, then departed for London on the 21:49. Not ideal to miss the end of the game, but hapy to sacrifice that for an easy getaway.

Not knocking you for your choice but there was 4 mins added time had Gillingham sneaked a goal in that time there would have been extra time and possibly penalties
that you would have missed and why should you just because the travel arrangements haven't been sorted out properly which many people in the know have suggested on here would happen for months and months, so much so that had those same people been on the other side we may not even have got permission to build the stadium.

We have built it and it is magnificent now all parties need to get together to make the travel arrangements work for the benefit of all.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
the queue for the mill road p + r was very long as already mentioned, when we got to the coach, i heard the steward on his radio telling someone that they will need to put on 10 buses for the next match, so they are monitering the situation and will adapt, but next time i'm at the racecourse as double decker buses were leaving the Amex half empty, lesson learned, me and the grandaughter got back to car about 10:50, back home 12:50 so not too bad.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that happening too soon, it was exactly the same at the Spurs game. Lots of people queuing for Mill road were complaining to the senior steward in the car park about the lack of buses, signs, stewarding and asking him that their comments/complaints were passed on to the powers that be, "oh yes, we're monitoring the situation and will be making improvements for future games". So this is the second game since Spurs and it's getting worse not better.

Absolutely BG, it's bizarre that the train operator managed to lay on special trains to Falmer but completely failed to do anything after the match! There was what a 15 minute wait between services? Surely they could of slotted a train or 2 between them.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
We have been to amex 3 times,have not left early ,but promptly on final whistle from WSL and had reasonably easy journies home. The only downside being on platform early but waiting 20 mins for train Saturday and 15 mins last night with fewer carriages. Surely an 8 carriage train should be waiting to take the initial rush. Back home in EP at 10.55. We were considering trying different modes of transport,normally we would want to use Mill Rd P&R but had decided in future to possibly use Mithras House or Racecourse P&R if we chose that way.I know my way round Brighton pretty well,but someone coming from the West wouldn't have a clue how to get to these other P&R's as there is little or no directional signage. In view of having to walk past Away supporters in South Stand and the apparent long queues,we are definitely going to stick with the trains. Just be a bit savvy about when you leave.On a midweek game leave on whistle,Saturday game either leave on whistle or wait an hour for queues to die down and watch results on SSN on concourse and avoid the stress. On Saturday I was going to the O2 to see Iron Maiden and was worried about getting there on time, but left on whistle despite 10 or 11 mins of injury time and despite waiting on Falmer platform for 20 mins and was at O2 meeting Mrs SNG at 6.50! Not bad well done Southern!

How far is the walk from the uni parking? is it an easy walk for a old person with bad legs/knees? (My dad not me)

I would say not tbh but could depend on which of the five university c/p's you end up in. When fit, I'd say the walk would be around 10 mins but currently it's 20-25mins for me. There's also a set of steps going up to the station and the footbridge to get over.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Haywards Heath via Lewes is a mission.

was fine at 6.20 or so - th e line from haywards heath to lewes must be the most scenic route to afootball ground ever.

Again, left enough time, and it worked beautifully.

Coming home - went to the art gallery in the East stand (sorry the concourse), and then to the shop to get a badge

Got on to Falmer platform about 10.20 and got into brighton about 10.40

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Got on to Falmer platform about 10.20 and got into brighton about 10.40

That is rather surprising as when I got on the train at 10.15 from the platform/train I could not see the end of the queue stretching back to the stadium and would have assumed that there was more than 1 train full waiting to board the next train which was due at 10.29 which is obviously the one you caught.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
How far is the walk from the uni parking? is it an easy walk for a old person with bad legs/knees? (My dad not me)

You could always drop Dad off by the underpass on the way in, park the car, a walk down to meet up with him (and the same in reverse after the game). The bridge is your only real hurdle.... gently sloping ramp on the stadium side should be fine, but about 20 stairs on the A27 side might be an issue (although there are good handrails and decent grippy surface to the steps).

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
We left the WSU on the final whistle but made the mistake of stopping for a piss. Got down to the train queue to Lewes before 9.50 and could see the signs on the platform that said there were trains at 10.01 and 10.13. Queue moved quickly until we got to the top of the ramp and in the bit over the line. There was a lot of people wanting to use the steps down to the car parks / buses which didn't help especially as most didn't seem to know where they were going. The signs are so small they are hardly worth having as you can't read them until you get about 5 yards away from them.

The queue then moved very slowly but we got down to the ramps as the 10.13 was in the station but we had no chance of getting on. The next train was at 10.34 which was an 8 carriage job. People were let onto the platforms but we were about 10 yards from the entrance by now. Train arrives and it was obvious there was plenty of room but some planks were just standing by the doors which didn't help people getting on. They let a few more on but didn't get to us. Train departed with the last carriage empty which didn't help the mood. If Lewes only takes 5 carriages surely the rest of the people can walk down the train.

So its now 10.40 and were only just on the platform. We got on the next train and fortunately Southern had stopped the 10.53 from Lewes to Eastbourne from leaving so we got on that and got to Eastbourne at about 11.20. Not good with having to get up for work at 6.30. On a warm night it was ok but we'd have all been mightily pissed off had it been cold and pissing down.

Ideas to solve it...
  • Bigger signs around the ground and on the train ramps.
  • Better stewarding on and around the train ramps.
  • Better stewarding of people getting on the trains - ie get as many people all through the trains as possible and not leave empty carriages as that just pisses people off.
  • A few more Lewes only trains would have helped especially between the 10.13 and 10.34.
Its something we have to get used to but if its going to take 2 hours to get to Eastbourne then a lot of people will just say f*** it and not bother especially in midweek.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
The car park is an utter shambles.
If they don't find a way of improving it, it will cause real issues with the genuine corporate clientele. How can somebody invite a business guest to an event, then sit there embarrassed in their car for over an hour afterwards, whilst utter anarchy reigns all around them. .

Absolutely right - the club wants the corporate clients but I certainly wouldn't invite any until they get this mess sorted. It's not about having 'paid for the privilege', it's about common sense.

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
The park and ride tonight was bloody awful both ways. But especially bad on the return journey, absolute chaos in the bus despatch area tonight. Will need sorting out for games like Leeds,Palarse and Milwall.

what time did you leave for the return back to mill road as we left on fulltime, then que'd until 10.40pm, back to mill road at 10.50pm, home 11.30pm. bit of a nightmare !!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A common theme I'm seeing is something I said on Saturday:

Albion fans have to help other Albion fans - move all the way down each and every carriage on every train to give others a chance to get on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Albion fans have to help other Albion fans - move all the way down each and every carriage on every train to give others a chance to get on.

The 1st step should be, the station assistants need to allow enough fans onto the platform to fill the train up and not allow it to leave when there's still room for plenty more onboard. Our car in the 2nd train was pretty full from what I could see.

Lucasdo

Jul 29, 2011
One thing I noticed was we were on a 8 carriage train from Falmer to Lewes, but only the front 5 Carriage's had access to Lewes Platform, luckily we were in the 2nd carriage so we got off no trouble. While we were waiting for the Newhaven train the stream of people coming off the 5th carriage was endless! Must of been there for 8-10 minutes waiting for everyone to get off the end carriages. Surely they could let all people of from carriages 1-5 shut the doors, move forward to allow carriages 6-8 access to the platform for a much quicker stop and not hold up trains that would be coming behind from Falmer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here