Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How un PC is this ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Right now I am working on a very large NHS Trust based around East London. We have several thousand users from all over the world there. We have a large number of Asians amongst out workforce.

When somebody calls us with a problem we have to log it onto the system and we have to get their name as a matter of course. We use their surname and sometimes need their first (or Christian) name to make sure we have the right person, for example we have more than a few Browns and Smiths.

However, we have even more Patels and Singhs to name but a few. A colleague of mine spoke to some woman who as it turned out, is a Muslim. Well he asked for her name and sure enough it was one where there were multiple entries for.

He then asked (in all innocence) for her CHRISTIAN name ! (Okay, he might have asked for her first name but hey, what's in a name ?) Quite a lot apparently, this woman went berserk and is now demanding a written apology as well as disciplinary action against my colleague because he asked for her CHRISTIAN name !!!

In all honesty, is that ridiculous or is it just me ? It's just a figure of speech, the expression 'Christian Name' and not some sort of racist remark ! Some people do make it easy to be disliked.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Her reaction is over the top and any disciplinary proceedings should be dropped, but the term "first name" should always have been used, for various reasons, well before the idea of political correctness came in to avoid people going nuts about it.

You rarely to ever hear it used here and I don't think theres any other language where its not either just "name" or "first name" when translated back.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Before the you "couldn't make it up" brigade jump on this the complaint won't go anywhere will it....

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
I wouldn't really like to be asked for my Christian name either to be honest, being atheist and all that...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am a very staunch atheist but i don't care if people ask for my Christian name even though i would use given name

:albion2::albion2::albion2:

Whilst I would echo your comments, there is a difference between being an atheist and a follower of an entirely different religion. I don't get offended easily, but then I do not dedicate my whole life to a following/religion, so I can't really offer an unbiased judgement.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Her reaction is over the top and any disciplinary proceedings should be dropped, but the term "first name" should always have been used, for various reasons, well before the idea of political correctness came in to avoid people going nuts about it.

You rarely to ever hear it used here and I don't think theres any other language where its not either just "name" or "first name" when translated back.

But do you not think that sometimes always trying to avoid an over-reaction by any individual might actually encourage this behaviour.

If you wish to apease this over-reaction, dont you think it is highly likely to over-react to yet another innocent English'ism.

What I am trying to say that she is an intolerant fool and I am sure she is doing more harm to race relations than Nick Griffin.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Right now I am working on a very large NHS Trust based around East London. We have several thousand users from all over the world there. We have a large number of Asians amongst out workforce.

When somebody calls us with a problem we have to log it onto the system and we have to get their name as a matter of course. We use their surname and sometimes need their first (or Christian) name to make sure we have the right person, for example we have more than a few Browns and Smiths.

However, we have even more Patels and Singhs to name but a few. A colleague of mine spoke to some woman who as it turned out, is a Muslim. Well he asked for her name and sure enough it was one where there were multiple entries for.

He then asked (in all innocence) for her CHRISTIAN name ! (Okay, he might have asked for her first name but hey, what's in a name ?) Quite a lot apparently, this woman went berserk and is now demanding a written apology as well as disciplinary action against my colleague because he asked for her CHRISTIAN name !!!

In all honesty, is that ridiculous or is it just me ? It's just a figure of speech, the expression 'Christian Name' and not some sort of racist remark ! Some people do make it easy to be disliked.

What you mean certain nationalities from a certain part of Asia...................

censor censor censor............................ Oh but you wouldn`t want your daughter marrying one censor censor censor............... ooh the smell of curry. Censor yourself silly.

It's a fairly simple misunderstanding.
He could send her a simple message of apology and explanation. It's now an inherent anomaly of the English language, but she obviously isn't aware. Unless this sort of obscure information is given to migrant peoples, they have to think it's a manner to estrange them religiously.

I would suggest a sensible chargehand could call her, apologise, and explain that it's a figure of speech, and not a deliberate attempt at alienation

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He could send her a simple message of apology and explanation. It's now an inherent anomaly of the English language, but she obviously isn't aware. Unless this sort of obscure information is given to migrant peoples, they have to think it's a manner to estrange them religiously.

I would suggest a sensible chargehand could call her, apologise, and explain that it's a figure of speech, and not a deliberate attempt at alienation

maybe she is aware no offence was intended but she`s just an awkward cow.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Its fairly simple misunderstanding.
She could send him a simple message of apology and explanation. It has become an increasing problem that migrant peoples continue to come to the host country without any inclination to intergrate and accept our extremely tolerant way of life. Unless this quite simple information is not given to migrant peoples, many fairminded British people will wish to become estranged from them and not wish them to be here in any case.

I would suggest a sensible moderate Muslim could encourage her to call your mate, apologise, and explain that it was an over-reaction and not a deliberate attempt to show that religious bigotry remains rife within the Islamic faith.

There.... I thought that what you said :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here