Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How to hack into a phone

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
What the News of the World did hacking into dead peoples phones is disgusting.

However I know a few "living" people I wouldn't mind hacking into their phones. Anyone know how to do it please?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Its just voicemails they were getting. Dial their voicemail number, hit hash and generally enter 0000 as the password. No skill to it, which is why the NOTW could handle it...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Its just voicemails they were getting. Dial their voicemail number, hit hash and generally enter 0000 as the password. No skill to it, which is why the NOTW could handle it...

Agreed. It's something I've been discussing with people over the last few days: it's amazing that the mobile companies seem to have escaped any criticism for providing such a flawed system, so open to abuse, yet having done precious little to warn and advise their userbase on how to protect themselves.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I think the last time I saw a warning about the voicemail PIN being 0000 by default was in an Eircell welcome pack. Eircell changed thier name in 2001!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

But how do you know voicemail numbers?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Its not exactly sophisticated hacking though, you call a persons number and when it goes to voicemail you press # to remotely access voicemails as the person whose line it is would do. The flaw was that the default PIN was always 0000 and the vast majority of people never changed this or realised they needed to. Some scroty journo discovered this and used it to listen to the voicemails of all and sundry. At no stage could any of them hack into any live conversations.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Thanks for the advice chaps. I will give it my best Terry Hurlock (top hacker)!!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Agreed. It's something I've been discussing with people over the last few days: it's amazing that the mobile companies seem to have escaped any criticism for providing such a flawed system, so open to abuse, yet having done precious little to warn and advise their userbase on how to protect themselves.

Being a mobile phonephobe I haven't even got my voicemail turned on, cos I don't know how to, but no-one would be interested in my sex pest voicemails anyway. But on a more serious note, even through all this shite, still... STILL... the mobile companies are not advising their customers on security. We demand it from facebook and they (usually) adhere begrudgingly, so why not the mobile phone companies?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
As stated above a 'hack' in regards to the current NOTW is not a hack, it is actually more like an invasion of privacy. Since digital phones it is extremly difficult to hack a mobile phone. This is due to the call being placed over a national or international bearer and thus does not route through landline style exchanges but 'the fastest, cost effective route'.

The last major 'hack' was squidgy gate, when they used an analoge receiver to listen to an analoge signal.

To ensure an ex, enemy or intrested party doesn't do a NOTW just change your pin code to your voicemail from factory settings, this can be anything. Remember they need top know your mobile number first! No number no hack.

Big tip: there are billions of calls and interactions everyday and those that target personal details, accounts, numbers etc...look for those that spike above the normal traffic and thus open themsleves up for an electronic attack/hack/theft. If you are just part of the background electronic chatter you will not be targeted.

If you want to hack the best way the layman can do it is get access to the handset and swap it for a 'bugged' copy. This allows you to listen in when they receive or make a call. These are available on interweb at a price.

Sergei out.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
They need to know your mobile number first? Sorry I really am a mobilephobe... so how do these scumbags get them from the every day public like 7/7 victims, Milly Dowler, dead soldiers, etc... seems like a huge ring (no pun intended) of tappers going on out there.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
London blue. No worries about being a mobilephobe, that's a great way to be if you just don't trust the technology, no need to appologise. There is no technical means a newspaper can get the number, so they have to resort to old fashinioned hard cash. Police on the periphery of a case, 'friendly' people inside the phone companies, PR firms, distant family members can all be paid, bribed, conned into providing the number required.

As another hint to hacking, change you messgae to 'do not leave a messgae call back between 9 to 5 weekdays only.' If they are a company, friend etc...they will do so, your family and close friends have your home number or request on your voicemail that no message is left but that they send a text. Texts can't be hacked.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I called my phone off my girlfriends phone and when I got to answerphone I hit star (and hash on the next attempt) and I didn't get anywhere.. even tried putting pins in but nothing. Disappointing! I wanted to hack my messages lol

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I called my phone off my girlfriends phone and when I got to answerphone I hit star (and hash on the next attempt) and I didn't get anywhere.. even tried putting pins in but nothing. Disappointing! I wanted to hack my messages lol

I phoned Soph's phone (with her permission) pressed #and it asked me to enter a pin so I entered 0000 and said it was the wrong pin! Exciting though! :) *MrBurnsexcellent*

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Anyone know why it doesn't work when I press * or #?

I tried it on my girlfriends phone, and vice versa.. we both have answerphones but wouldn't ask me to enter a pin whatever I pressed.. we're on orange.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here