Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How the Rich Beat the Taxman

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good shout.

Given some of the recent threads, I think people should watch this with Conservative phrases like 'we're all in it together' and 'share the pain' in their minds.

We're all in it together, so you can lose £100 from your £300 monthly disposable income and all your cheap leisure opportunities when we slash services via council budgets. However we, the rich, will put our millions in offshore trusts, knowing the government will never do anything about it because we'll give them a nice job when they're out of office.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you dont need to be rich to beat the taxman. you just need to know how. many people on low incomes find ways too you know.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
you dont need to be rich to beat the taxman. you just need to know how. many people on low incomes find ways too you know.

The Daily Mail delights in confirming what you have stated on a regular basis. I'm sure most tax cheats tend to be on the wealthy side though.

Perhaps C4 should have taken this on board when they were doing their research for this programme.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I did a stint volunteering at my local Citizens Advice for about 15 months, something I was very sorry to have to give up for work reasons, as it was one of the most worthwhile and fulfilling things I've ever done.

And if I had to point to one thing that surprised me from my time there (shows even I got hoodwinked by media coverage) it was that the vast number of people in there, many on benefits, were not work-shy fops looking to swindle the country as Osborne claims. The vast majority on Job Seekers Allowance were proud people who wanted to work, often had made a mess of things, and wanted to find the best way out and start over. These cases you read about in the papers, they were not the people walking througn the door.

So I'm afraid that I view the attack on benefit cheats as sounding tough about a problem that is vastly overstated (not saying it doesn't exist) and whipping up hatred towards a certain group, while deflecting attention from the fact that the wealthy are not paying their fair share.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I did a stint volunteering at my local Citizens Advice for about 15 months, something I was very sorry to have to give up for work reasons, as it was one of the most worthwhile and fulfilling things I've ever done.

And if I had to point to one thing that surprised me from my time there (shows even I got hoodwinked by media coverage) it was that the vast number of people in there, many on benefits, were not work-shy fops looking to swindle the country as Osborne claims. The vast majority on Job Seekers Allowance were proud people who wanted to work, often had made a mess of things, and wanted to find the best way out and start over. These cases you read about in the papers, they were not the people walking througn the door.

So I'm afraid that I view the attack on benefit cheats as sounding tough about a problem that is vastly overstated (not saying it doesn't exist) and whipping up hatred towards a certain group, while deflecting attention from the fact that the wealthy are not paying their fair share.

Not picking a fight but the people you saw (who came to CAB) are by their actions not a representative sample.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

That's my take on it too. It absolutely does exist (there are massive sink estates where benefit scrounging is a lifestyle choice) but it is vastly overstated.

The rich do not pay their way though. Amazing to hear a couple of goons on here defending that tosser who reported the waste in Whitehall, while failing to pay any tax on his recent £1.2bn dividend. How many wasted child benefits does that pay for then?

Last edited:

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton

In agreement with everything written there.

In terms of what the economy loses as a result of welfare cheats, it is a drop in the ocean compared with the tax cheats.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

i would say thats because the CAB see those that can be arsed and want to turn things around. those that dont wont bother with CAB as they are just bumbling along, other than thsoe that come crying when even the social get fed up with them.

there's no myth of workshy scroungers, or people who simply wont take a job thats "beneath them". who gets a way with more, the rich evaders or the poor scroungers? theres probably more of the latter but they dont cost as much collectivly. but somthing alot of people ignore in this debate is alot of those who are wealthy and evading/avoiding tax pay alot anyway (not a justification). and in the extreme cases like Green, why critise someone just for following the rules?

Last edited:

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
Good shout.

Given some of the recent threads, I think people should watch this with Conservative phrases like 'we're all in it together' and 'share the pain' in their minds.

We're all in it together, so you can lose £100 from your £300 monthly disposable income and all your cheap leisure opportunities when we slash services via council budgets. However we, the rich, will put our millions in offshore trusts, knowing the government will never do anything about it because we'll give them a nice job when they're out of office.
took the words out of my mouth :bowdown:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
so far we've seen how a tax break to promote an industry has been used to reduce tax... er, thats the point isnt it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here