Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How the hell have we only conceded one goal?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Four disallowed offside goals and plenty of other offside calls speaks to a high line that has by and large worked.

Also to a fair bit of luck, look for regression to the mean to bite us in the arse this weekend
Bit more credit for the defensive line needed imo - both Everton and United caught out so may times.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
We have conceded too many chances but in fairness I felt similar this time last year. Although we were getting plaudits for winning our first two games 4-1 and scoring loads of goals, we looked way too open to me.

The good news is we’re winning, signing new players and we’ve got time to figure it out. Hurzeler had a good defensive record at St Pauli so I’m sure he’ll tighten it up.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Playing Everton, Man U. and F.C. Gatwick is a big part of it.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Well, after Saturday there is an international break, then four more games, then another international break, then four more games before yet another international break. Then we start the long run into Christmas.
I'm just a bit worried about the defense. Ipswich, Forest and Wolves at home looks like the "easy" ones (which they seldom are ...), then it's Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool and Man City (having already played Manure and Arsenal). That's a really tough start for Hürz, no doubt about it!

On the other hand, given all players on international duty, those breaks make it hard to drill the players in Hürz-ball. I guess I just want to press the Pause button and breathe a bit! It really has been a good start (with a bit of luck of course)!

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We've got away with conceding 2 or 3 less than we probably deserved.

However, I am trusting the manager to make the right changes for Arsenal. It'll be interesting to see if we "get away" with conceding fewer than expected there.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Luck indeed

Hope ferdi comes straight in Saturday . As others have said , arsenal will be rubbing their hands together with the chances they will likely get
Hūrzeler's team has won 7 out of 7 scoring about 23 goals and our fans are putting it all down to luck.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
After many years of moaning about our luck, I'm now prepared to concede that "these things even themselves out"

We've had a fair share of getting away with it over the last 3 games.

It seemed to me over the past few seasons, that our opponents would regularly score from their only shots.
Our opponents of late have been as profligate as we generally are.

Long may it continue.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
No, he's putting down to luck the fact we've only conceded one goal.

It's not that controversial really. Man Utd were bitterly unlucky to have one ruled out for offside, and Everton missed an open goal.
Pretty sure the Everton open goal was offside, in the end.
I don't think it was shown on MotD, but in the ground, I seem to remember that it was retrospectively flagged as offside.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Oops

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Honestly feels like luck. We're on for a tonking soon.

One thing I would say though is that we are so programmed now to appreciate the diametric control freak play of De Zerbi that anything else seems like chaos.

Like the footballing equivalent of the 3rd law of thermodynamics sped up. What everyone else has come to see as 'football' to us now appears as atrophy.
Agree. I’ve felt very uncomfortable with our ‘lack of control’ but perhaps it’s due to having witnessed one end of the spectrum under RDZ and now seeing ‘another way’.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Pretty sure the Everton open goal was offside, in the end.
I don't think it was shown on MotD, but in the ground, I seem to remember that it was retrospectively flagged as offside.
Quite, their man was five yards offside in the build up, flagged late as is the fashion these days. Ignore their fraudulent penalty claim and there was virtually no threat.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have to say at the moment it feels far more like luck (or opposition failing to capitalise) than any kind of improved defensive structure. We’ve not really ‘controlled’ a game yet bar the end of tonight and likewise Everton.

I may not be giving enough credit to the offside trap which they’ve clearly worked on. Unfortunately it has the effect of making it feel like we get carved open; it tends to conjure an emotional reaction of relief when the flag goes up/VAR intervenes, rather than a pragmatic reaction of ‘disciplined defending’.

All in all I’m still worried about what Arsenal are capable of doing.
Yep, this is where I am I think.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Three competitive games for Super Fab now and one goal conceded.

How on earth has that happened? I’m more nervous than an EDL rioter in a courtroom when the other team gets the ball this season, yet three games against very different opposition would suggest that the mutterings we’d concede less this season are spot on.

What’s the secret NSC sages?
I asked this question in Dick’s bar on Saturday, I thought in both opening 15 minutes of the respective Everton and United games we rode our luck, that first United chance on Saturday a case in point, yet my son and his mate almost branded me a heretic 😂

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
After every game I have thought, we’ve been a bit lucky there! After those three games though I am beginning to think there must be more to it than luck but I’m buggered if I know what! Maybe it is top four bias from the referees?

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Three competitive games for Super Fab now and one goal conceded.

How on earth has that happened? I’m more nervous than an EDL rioter in a courtroom when the other team gets the ball this season, yet three games against very different opposition would suggest that the mutterings we’d concede less this season are spot on.

What’s the secret NSC sages?
Um, tactics? :unsure:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here