Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How the f*** was that not offside?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Seriously, just seen the goal again on TFLS and he's at least 2 or 3 yards offside.

:tosser:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Probably because it wasn't a pass from a Tranmere player ?.

The ball rebounds off a Brighton defender after an attempted shot.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Still, that player was miles offside when the attempted shot happened.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Still, that player was miles offside when the attempted shot happened.

Just watched it again on slo-mo and had to look up the rules regarding deflections.

It's judged from when the ball was last touched by the Tranmere player prior to the deflection. If the Brighton defender had definate control of the ball (which he didn't) it would been deemed as a new period of play.

From what I can see, he just on side at the point it leaves the Tranmere players foot, being played on side by at least two players.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I thought it did. If a player is offside when a ball is played/shot is took then surely that's an infringment?

See my edited post. When the ball leaves Tranmere players foot, he's onside.

The delay caused by the deflection allows him to creep round the back.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
See my edited post. When the ball leaves Tranmere players foot, he's onside.

The delay caused by the deflection allows him to creep round the back.

Ohh, alright. :down:

Looked offside from the stand though but guess you can't realy tell without being level.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Well if you can't really tell from where you were, why start a f***ing thread about it?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Well if you can't really tell from where you were, why start a f***ing thread about it?

I'm not saying I didn't know - he looked miles offside. I'm saying it's difficult to get it correct if you're not in line with play and being behind the goal, obviously we weren't.

Tenngull

Sep 15, 2003
Tennessee
Hasnt the offside rule been changed so that you are not played onside by a deflection now.

Nope, no real changes in Law 11 for several years now. Only thing to change is how referees are instructed to judge 'interfering with play'.Basically it is now supposed to be actually touching the ball, not just running after it.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Not sure I agree with some of you.

I've just looked at it on Seagulls Player. If you freeze it on slow motion the deepest player you can see on screen when the Tranmere player shoots is Jake Wright (5), the Tranmere scorer is clearly behind him and therefore appears offside.

The only doubt in my mind is whether there are any Albion players who were behind Jake Wright who cannot be seen on screen.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The defendinf was so woeful though that the goal was pretty much deserved however, the one before and after that were just as woeful

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Watching from the back of the stand , the Tranny player was offside , the referee didn't have a clue so looked over at the lino for a decision. The 2nd Tranny goal was a decent effort.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not sure I agree with some of you.

I've just looked at it on Seagulls Player. If you freeze it on slow motion the deepest player you can see on screen when the Tranmere player shoots is Jake Wright (5), the Tranmere scorer is clearly behind him and therefore appears offside.

The only doubt in my mind is whether there are any Albion players who were behind Jake Wright who cannot be seen on screen.

He's very clearly level and Wright isn't the deepest.

When the ball leaves the Tranmere players foot, there are three Brighton players behind/or at least level with Jake Wright.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here