Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How supporters became the new villains of modern football.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If the TV companies want to pump millions into players pockets then so be it but what bothers me is the ridiculous prices being charged to fans for watching football. Many will cite supply and demand as a justification for the forever growing cost of watching football but the reality is a whole section of society is being priced out of a game that so often prides itself on being inclusive for all

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If the TV companies want to pump millions into players pockets then so be it but what bothers me is the ridiculous prices being charged to fans for watching football. Many will cite supply and demand as a justification for the forever growing cost of watching football but the reality is a whole section of society is being priced out of a game that so often prides itself on being inclusive for all

The top clubs will probably end up letting in fans for near-enough free simply in order to provide some quaint old background noise. The real money will be made from those watching on TV, not from bums on seats.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The top clubs will probably end up letting in fans for near-enough free simply in order to provide some quaint old background noise. The real money will be made from those watching on TV, not from bums on seats.
I suspect the real money IS made from TV, but I'm afraid that the notion of clubs reducing ticket prices because they don't need the money should, I think, be linked with the phrase, 'when hell freezes over'. Unfortunately.

Of course, when the players turn round and say ten grand a week is fine - bloody good money for doing something I love doing - so I really don't need that £100K a week contract, thank you - well, things might change then...........

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Haven't got round to reading that article yet, but will do. Top comments from Guinness Boy, who has outlined certain scenarios that I've also brought into being. Tradition :shrug:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Also, I'm sorry but football pre-1990s was mostly UTTERLY SHITHOUSE and HILARIOUS compared to modern athletes.
'Modern athletes' wouldn't move so fast playing in ankle deep mud.

I know Sky and The Premier League invented football, but there was something that existed before that, and at times it could be pretty good.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
This articulated something that annoys me. People who are paid good money to attend games being critical of those who pay their well-earned at the gate. Some of them I listen and I think you don't sound as if you like the game, let alone appreciate it. And I suspect if they had to pay to attend they would not bother.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

The entire Premier League could have done so this season. Wasn't the increase in TV money this season (not the total) enough to provide free season tickets for most clubs?

Lush

Mods' Pet
The obvious problem is that the main audience/cash cow for the 'big teams' isn't in the countries where they play. Go to Africa or Asia and the number of people wearing Barcelona/Man U etc football shirts etc is incredible, even in poor areas.

But ...could you have competitive games on TV to sell around the world without a good number of people watching in the stands? Maybe you could. Maybe you could add supporter noise and CGI spectators. Maybe players perform for the money as much as for the fans. Or maybe clubs will one day have to pay us to turn up and create the atmosphere that they are selling around the world?

Jan 30, 2008
The answer is not to go. The answer really is a mass boycott, games, tv the lot. It will never happen though, precisely because of the tradition that's preceded the current pastiche.

Example. My son sees me watching football at home and going to "the football" with my mates. His school friends do too with their dads. Eventually they play in the playground, join a club and pester us dads to take them to a game. However much we liked going with our mates to get away from the kids we're secretly delighted. Even more so when they still want to go back after a defeat, when the songs are as important as the goals. They don't see that we paid more than my house is worth for CoG or that Wayne Rooney gets a house every week, fit or not, good or not. They can't imagine a quarter of a million pounds let alone what getting that every week would get you. They see a pantomime. They get to boo, they get to cheer, there are good guys and baddies and they get to play one of the goodies. Then, aged 8, they ask you to take them to an away game and you get tickets for Charlton, still one of the good guys with a traditional ground and a kids for a quid offer that extends to the away end. And that's it. They're hooked just like you.

They can't remember Peter Ward or terraces or fighting or awful Wednesday night games against Bury. They can't remember paying sod all to stand on a milk crate or later playing a fraction of their paper round money to stand where they like. Bunking the train to an away game. Is that even possible now in an era where you can get fined for going home on the "wrong" train because it's the one most of your mates are on.

Football is becoming less of a social game. Football is all about money. Yet the alternative is sitting around the same four walls for another weekend quietly hating yourself.

They've got us by the short and curlies, the b******s.
I see the light ,trouble is the clubs are milking the fans for their loyalty which i find sickening
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Don't know what you mean by over rated. Players are paid "the going rate". Thus, they are rated. That is how Capitalism works.

Also, I'm sorry but football pre-1990s was mostly UTTERLY SHITHOUSE and HILARIOUS compared to modern athletes.
haven't you seen the hilarious antics of some premiership players:rolleyes:
regards
DR

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I know Sky and The Premier League invented football, but there was something that existed before that, and at times it could be pretty good.

I'm fully aware that pitches now are MILES better than back then. I'm including that in my comment that old football was shit. Bog-standard players like Glen Johnson nowadays score goals and show tricks and flicks as good as the best players in the world 30, 40 years ago.

Watch the 1966 World Cup Final again. It looks like a match between 2 League Two sides.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
haven't you seen the hilarious antics of some premiership players:rolleyes:
regards
DR

The diving is pretty appalling sometimes, yes. But the standard of football is light years ahead.

You see, that's the trouble with these youngsters, they really believe that everything is better now than it was without having ever experienced it themselves.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Don't know what you mean by over rated. Players are paid "the going rate". Thus, they are rated. That is how Capitalism works.

Did you ever see Peter Ward play? Take a look at the videos online of his performances and you will realise how wrong your last sentence is. In terms of your reference to capitalism and ''the going rate'' I would urge you to insert Sky into that phrase as that is the key driver, with only two and half players in the football broadcasting market its hardly capitalism.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The answer is not to go. The answer really is a mass boycott, games, tv the lot. It will never happen though, precisely because of the tradition that's preceded the current pastiche.

Example. My son sees me watching football at home and going to "the football" with my mates. His school friends do too with their dads. Eventually they play in the playground, join a club and pester us dads to take them to a game. However much we liked going with our mates to get away from the kids we're secretly delighted. Even more so when they still want to go back after a defeat, when the songs are as important as the goals. They don't see that we paid more than my house is worth for CoG or that Wayne Rooney gets a house every week, fit or not, good or not. They can't imagine a quarter of a million pounds let alone what getting that every week would get you. They see a pantomime. They get to boo, they get to cheer, there are good guys and baddies and they get to play one of the goodies. Then, aged 8, they ask you to take them to an away game and you get tickets for Charlton, still one of the good guys with a traditional ground and a kids for a quid offer that extends to the away end. And that's it. They're hooked just like you.

They can't remember Peter Ward or terraces or fighting or awful Wednesday night games against Bury. They can't remember paying sod all to stand on a milk crate or later playing a fraction of their paper round money to stand where they like. Bunking the train to an away game. Is that even possible now in an era where you can get fined for going home on the "wrong" train because it's the one most of your mates are on.

Football is becoming less of a social game. Football is all about money. Yet the alternative is sitting around the same four walls for another weekend quietly hating yourself.

They've got us by the short and curlies, the b******s.

Thats just right, we're sucked in and its difficult to get out, but your sentiments are just spot on. Regarding over rated, those of us who saw the likes of Peter Ward, Brian Horton and Eric Steel can compare what is on offer at the Amex and on the television have the right to use the word over rated. This is not about money this is about skill, committment and effort.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I'm fully aware that pitches now are MILES better than back then. I'm including that in my comment that old football was shit. Bog-standard players like Glen Johnson nowadays score goals and show tricks and flicks as good as the best players in the world 30, 40 years ago.

Watch the 1966 World Cup Final again. It looks like a match between 2 League Two sides.

I had the pleasure of watching the England v Brazil game in 1970 recently and although we lost we should have won, but the skill level in that game at altitude was as high as we see today. I wouldn't stop any individual selling htemselves for whatever they can get, I just identify that their skill levels are over rated and in many cases are poor.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I had the pleasure of watching the England v Brazil game in 1970 recently and although we lost we should have won, but the skill level in that game at altitude was as high as we see today. I wouldn't stop any individual selling htemselves for whatever they can get, I just identify that their skill levels are over rated and in many cases are poor.

I think skill levels are always going to look far superior when every single bit of a player's repertoire is analysed in full HD from six different angles with a panel of pundits raving over it. Would be an interesting experiment to watch a match between, say, current day Barca and Real Madrid in black and white, with no slow motion replays, no panel of pundits, played on a churned up bog of a field with a heavy old lace-up leather ball and the players wearing the equivalent of DMs with studs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here