Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
A few voices are starting to say that in media interviews, that if we'd locked down a week or two earlier, it would've started to collapse that much earlier.

Their overriding point is that if 100% of people who could have socially distanced, had done, that would've made a huge differences to the number of new cases and deaths now. It's just not in the British psyche to be wholly compliant as they are in Singapore or South Korea, there'll always be a not insignificant proportion of Brits (from across social classes) who are arrogant.

Very true. Changing the subject slightly, one thing I have observed in supermarkets is that whilst the vast majority of customers observe the 2 metre rule most of the younger staff don't seem to bother, which is annoying. I'm surprised the management don't pick them up on this.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Very true. Changing the subject slightly, one thing I have observed in supermarkets is that whilst the vast majority of customers observe the 2 metre rule most of the younger staff don't seem to bother, which is annoying. I'm surprised the management don't pick them up on this.

See I see it as people pushing behind me whilst I’m doing something rather than waiting for the other person so come through lol

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Mrs KZN popped into M&S this morning for the first time. The checkout staff are all in full PPE. The staff on the shop floor have no protection at all. :shrug:

That's because the shop floor staff can run away if they see a customer coming but those behind the till can't.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I keep saying reported that the peak of infections occurred before lockdown, but have seen very little analysis of this. Does this mean the virus is naturally running its course regardless of lockdown?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I keep saying reported that the peak of infections occurred before lockdown, but have seen very little analysis of this. Does this mean the virus is naturally running its course regardless of lockdown?

That could be true. However, shutting things down when we did may have avoided a much larger peak a few weeks later on.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Let's not focus on the 5%, but on the great efforts of the 95%.

Depends if you listen to the BBC the 5% will always be the subject. They are becoming a tabloid organisation. We should be be concentrating on the 95%, just like we should be hearing of the good news stories, it's very biased towards the negative. If you look back in history propaganda played a huge part in all victories. We are at war against this disease and while it's fair to deal in facts and question decisions but it really has gone too far. Far more people survive than succumb to it.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
About six months ago a couple from a town 65 miles away with a teenage daughter bought a second home about four doors away. They have been up to stay for the odd week or so since, doing it up and walking the fells.

The weekend after lockdown was announced Mrs & daughter turned up. They stayed mainly indoors with the curtains shut - so may have been self-isolating, or something. Some neighbours made loud comments under their windows that they shouldn't be here and should be 'going back home'. Anyway, they stayed about five days, and left.

The following weekend (10 days later), Mr turned up for three days, mainly spent decorating. Then left.

About 10 days later he turned up again, and started decorating / sawing / hammering. After a few days, someone further up the road knocked on his door, and told him to 'go back home, and take your city diseases with you, or I'll be informing the Police' (except less politely).

He's here again now, seemingly painting and drilling. As threatened, the Police were called by the neighbour. They have visited and reported back that 'there's more to it'.

So - the only thing we can think of is that he has told the Police he has to be here for domestic reasons (splitting up, or not able to stay together during lockdown). Which would be reasonable. But if that is the case, why doesn't he just stay here, instead of keep coming and going? And where is he staying the rest of the time?

So, no-one really knows quite what to do now. Just ignore it I suppose.

About six months ago a couple from a town 65 miles away with a teenage daughter bought a second home about four doors away. They have been up to stay for the odd week or so since, doing it up and walking the fells.

The weekend after lockdown was announced Mrs & daughter turned up. They stayed mainly indoors with the curtains shut - so may have been self-isolating, or something. Some neighbours made loud comments under their windows that they shouldn't be here and should be 'going back home'. Anyway, they stayed about five days, and left.

The following weekend (10 days later), Mr turned up for three days, mainly spent decorating. Then left.

About 10 days later he turned up again, and started decorating / sawing / hammering. After a few days, someone further up the road knocked on his door, and told him to 'go back home, and take your city diseases with you, or I'll be informing the Police' (except less politely).

He's here again now, seemingly painting and drilling. As threatened, the Police were called by the neighbour. They have visited and reported back that 'there's more to it'.

So - the only thing we can think of is that he has told the Police he has to be here for domestic reasons (splitting up, or not able to stay together during lockdown). Which would be reasonable. But if that is the case, why doesn't he just stay here, instead of keep coming and going? And where is he staying the rest of the time?

So, no-one really knows quite what to do now. Just ignore it I suppose.

That'd piss me of if I lived there, I'd tell him to piss off too. But welcome back once this is over of course. People are flouting the rules left right and centre now.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
That'd piss me of if I lived there, I'd tell him to piss off too. But welcome back once this is over of course. People are flouting the rules left right and centre now.
If he's working in an empty house what's the problem?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
On radio 5 live, woman reported her daughter who is a mobile hairdresser because she is still working. Reporter rang up 50 barbers asking if they would cut his hair, 19 agreed, but they were charging double the normal price. Hopefully the information is given to the police.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The journeys by the family to their second home are not a reasonable excuse and are illegal.

659B7F1E-ACB7-4AF0-AFCB-387BD790E126.png

People saying that they never met anyone, was dismissed at the very beginning of lockdown. The authorities simply don’t want numbers travelling between areas.

It's against the current laws?

Also today, I noticed for the first time, that it's pretty much back to normal on the roads around the City and people were everywhere, having days out at the beach etc.

Tbh the Police seem to be a lot more lenient now and after today's announcement, the bank holiday this Friday is going to be v busy everywhere because there seems to be a growing majority who seem to havve just given up as they are getting too complacent. Just as well some of the laws preventing these actions, are highly likely to be lifted come Monday.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But if they’re going from house to house without encountering anyone, then that’s just tyranny.

I know what you mean, but this was discussed by epidemiologists (non-Government) very early on, plus the police were singing from the same hymn sheet.

They simply didn’t not want numbers moving between areas, the virus would spread further and quicker as a result, everyone says “but I just went house to house”. In reality people will pop in at shops etc. The police said it was a strain on their stretched resources in checking on vehicles on the move.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

It's not empty, the police are there!

The journeys by the family to their second home are not a reasonable excuse and are illegal.

View attachment 123214

People saying that they never met anyone, was dismissed at the very beginning of lockdown. The authorities simply don’t want numbers travelling between areas.

But if they’re going from house to house without encountering anyone, then that’s just tyranny.

It's against the current laws?

Also today, I noticed for the first time, that it's pretty much back to normal on the roads around the City and people were everywhere, having days out at the beach etc.

Tbh the Police seem to be a lot more lenient now and after today's announcement, the bank holiday this Friday is going to be v busy everywhere because there seems to be a growing majority who seem to havve just given up as they are getting too complacent. Just as well some of the laws preventing these actions, are highly likely to be lifted come Monday.

I know what you mean, but this was discussed by epidemiologists (non-Government) very early on, plus the police were singing from the same hymn sheet.

They simply didn’t not want numbers moving between areas, the virus would spread further and quicker as a result, everyone says “but I just went house to house”. In reality people will pop in at shops etc. The police said it was a strain on their stretched resources in checking on vehicles on the move.

Cumbria has a very high case / death rate for the resident population (something like a third higher than the national average). The NHS / emergency resources are basically set at levels to deal with the resident population. A high case/death rate is likely to over-stretch the local NHS / emergency services - especially in a rural area.

Why do we have such an imbalance? Possibly because Cumbria has one of the highest rates of second-home ownership in the country - with a lot of wealthy people coming here after (for example) their ski-ing trips to resorts in Italy & Austria at the outset of all this.

We really don't want second-home owning people driving 65 miles each way, three or four times, to stay in (and do up) their second home. Especially, as it seems likely, that one of their visits was to self-isolate. He's a tourist, not a tradesman.

Driving 130 miles (four times) for pleasure means they will also have to stop at the garage more, with potential interactions, increases the risk of accidents and calls on the emergency services / NHS, and so on. (Our car has done approximately 15 miles in seven weeks). Also, our local shops have set themselves up to cater for the resident population - having tourists here means busier shops, so it's harder to socially distance from others. That's what it is all about isn't it?

On my exercise today I walked past our renowned butchers. A couple were outside exclaiming things like 'what an amazing shop - look at that, look at those', and so on. Anyone living locally (10 mile radius pr so) would already know about this butchers shop. They were quite obviously tourists - so the drift away from strict lockdown is already happening, regardless of any of Boris' plans and announcements on Sunday.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cumbria has a very high case / death rate for the resident population (something like a third higher than the national average). The NHS / emergency resources are basically set at levels to deal with the resident population. A high case/death rate is likely to over-stretch the local NHS / emergency services - especially in a rural area.

Why do we have such an imbalance? Possibly because Cumbria has one of the highest rates of second-home ownership in the country - with a lot of wealthy people coming here after (for example) their ski-ing trips to resorts in Italy & Austria at the outset of all this.

We really don't want second-home owning people driving 65 miles, three or four times, to stay in (and do up) their second home. Especially, as it seems likely, that one of their visits was to self-isolate. He's a tourist, not a tradesman.

Driving 130 miles (four times) for pleasure means they will also have to stop at the garage more, with potential interactions, increases the risk of accidents and calls on the emergency services / NHS, and so on. (Our car has done approximately 15 miles in seven weeks). Also, our local shops have set themselves up to cater for the resident population - having tourists here means busier shops, so it's harder to socially distance from others. That's what it is all about isn't it?

On my exercise today I walked past our renowned butchers. A couple were outside exclaiming things like 'what an amazing shop - look at that, look at those', and so on. Anyone living locally (10 mile radius pr so) would already know about this butchers shop. They were quite obviously tourists - so the drift away from strict lockdown is already happening, regardless of any of Boris' plans and announcements on Sunday.

Totally agree with you. As does the law and epidemiologists.

And you’re completely right that many second home owners flocked to their second homes just before or after lockdown was announced. Clients based in wealthy parts of London, said that all their associates with second homes in the West Country evacuated to them en masse when schools were closed under lockdown. Leaving those nice bits of London dead. Devon and Cornwall Police, and local councils were furious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here