Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I see what you mean, but judging by friends in Manchester who say the same is happening there in terms of folk becoming more slack (albeit still adhering to social distancing in public generally), I really can't imagine a big city like Sheffield being any different overall. I've lived in different regions of England; regional stereotypes are largely bollocks imo. You get the same percentage of decent, respectful people and not so decent, respectful people everywhere. Mostly decent, respectful people in the vast majority of places despite what the media will have you believe.

As a non-covid19 discussion, I agree with you. Hence why I didn’t slag off Yorkshiremen, when they’re another easy target on a southern based internet forum. I’ve spent time around all parts of England and Scotland, always with positive experiences. I swim against the tide when NSC threads appear full of hate towards other peoples of our nation or nations.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Certainly a couple of weeks ago if you walked past a couple of (no doubt related) people they would go into single file while you went past but increasingly it isn't happening.

Scientists have pointed out many times, how those ignoring social distancing transmit Coronavirus to and from strangers. Without never knowingly displaying Covid-19 symptoms themselves.

I wonder why some people, families have no intention of complying? Reasonable families in our road have the grandparents round, then head for walks, for example.

Because they are selfish *****. It's really starting to piss me off. But we can't let this get to us, that's not how you overcome such a situation, the positive news is, that MOST people, are following the rules and guidelines 95% of the time, the odd cheeky senseless trip out as long as social distancing is maintained, is OK. But more than this and just acting like normal, is quite frankly, being a ****.

It's surprising because most of the families I see taking the piss are fair well to do looking people from the middle class areas of Hove/Brighton.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Because they are selfish *****. It's really starting to piss me off. But we can't let this get to us, that's not how you overcome such a situation, the positive news is, that MOST people, are following the rules and guidelines 95% of the time, the odd cheeky senseless trip out as long as social distancing is maintained, is OK. But more than this and just acting like normal, is quite frankly, being a ****.

It's surprising because most of the families I see taking the piss are fair well to do looking people from the middle class areas of Hove/Brighton.

The families completely ignoring it in our road, with the elderly grandparents round, and walks with their mates are not the archetypal fck the police and rules types. Green Party posters in their windows at elections, one family are key members or the local community associate, the opposite of knuckle-draggers. Ironically, one of the families kindly put leaflets through the doors of elderly, asking if they can help with anything at this time.

Then, they refuse to social distance.

Really strange, is it we’re invincible syndrome, or we love our elderly parents and the family down the road, and are not going to be pushed around by the state?

For any NSC’ers refusing to social distance, meeting up with elderly parents or family friends, what’s your rationale?

The families completely ignoring it in our road, with the elderly grandparents round, and walks with their mates are not the archetypal fck the police and rules types. Green Party posters in their windows at elections, one family are key members or the local community associate, the opposite of knuckle-draggers. Ironically, one of the families kindly put leaflets through the doors of elderly, asking if they can help with anything at this time.

Then, they refuse to social distance.

Really strange, is it we’re invincible syndrome, or we love our elderly parents and the family down the road, and are not going to be pushed around by the state?

For any NSC’ers refusing to social distance, meeting up with elderly parents or family friends, what’s your rationale?

Exactly my point.

That is strange, but then these people, as I agree with them on most things usually, aren't the type's I'd have a beer with as they are a bit nanny state type weird. Despite them ignoring the lockdown, these are the types who'd be the first to get easily offended at petty things or claim their child is perfect even though he just broke someones greenhouse for example.

I think it's a bit of both are the invisible syndrome and not going to be pushed around by the state.

This needs to apply to the whole of the UK and I'm sure it will.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52416541

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Got to b & q an hour before it opened this morning, was about 10th in the queue of hundreds but had some **** with a persistent cough behind me the entire time so it was nice knowing ya

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The media made their best effort yet yesterday morning picking up on nicola sturgeons comments about small groups from one or 2 households having the shackles released somewhat, putting those stories alongside those about the weather sent out the wrong signals and had people dashing for their doors

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I just popped up my local garage to get some milk and juice, definitely busier on the A21, went passed a garden centre and it was packed. The issue here is, while there's reports of youths out playing football etc, it's increasingly "normal" people who are now venturing out. This bears out the problem the government had when closing down the country. close too soon and people will take it upon themselves to break the curfew before time has passed to combat the peak. Those blaming them for leaving it too late need to see what's beginning to happening now.

There's no excuse other than selfishness.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Is anybody else seeing discarded gloves and anti bacterial wipes when out exercising? I saw a few yesterday.

The park where I live seems to be littered with these now and masks. I went to sit on a bench to read for a while and some scumbag had left a latex glove behind .... there's a bin about 6 feet away FFS!

(and I know I'm not supposed to sit on a bench reading, but I keep away from people, I have hardly spoken to anyone for 35 days)

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Seems the people of Orange County in Southern California have decided to ignore their lockdown.

6B5CCA2D-208A-4ED3-BE8A-F617CCD4E9B8.jpeg

Attachments

• EA64A9B0-C08B-4D99-8DFE-21047F95D470.jpeg
    EA64A9B0-C08B-4D99-8DFE-21047F95D470.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 141

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I see what you mean, but judging by friends in Manchester who say the same is happening there in terms of folk becoming more slack (albeit still adhering to social distancing in public generally), I really can't imagine a big city like Sheffield being any different overall. I've lived in different regions of England; regional stereotypes are largely bollocks imo. You get the same percentage of decent, respectful people and not so decent, respectful people everywhere. Mostly decent, respectful people in the vast majority of places despite what the media will have you believe.

Have you been to Stoke? Or Burnley?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The park where I live seems to be littered with these now and masks. I went to sit on a bench to read for a while and some scumbag had left a latex glove behind .... there's a bin about 6 feet away FFS!

(and I know I'm not supposed to sit on a bench reading, but I keep away from people, I have hardly spoken to anyone for 35 days)

At Withdean Stadium the council have just set up an array of recycling bins. Already there are dozens of used latex gloves and baby/disinfectant wipes just thrown on the floor.

What a twa*ttish thing to do - recycle with gloves on, then litter.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I just popped up my local garage to get some milk and juice, definitely busier on the A21, went passed a garden centre and it was packed. The issue here is, while there's reports of youths out playing football etc, it's increasingly "normal" people who are now venturing out. This bears out the problem the government had when closing down the country. close too soon and people will take it upon themselves to break the curfew before time has passed to combat the peak. Those blaming them for leaving it too late need to see what's beginning to happening now.

There's no excuse other than selfishness.

A few voices are starting to say that in media interviews, that if we'd locked down a week or two earlier, it would've started to collapse that much earlier.

Their overriding point is that if 100% of people who could have socially distanced, had done, that would've made a huge differences to the number of new cases and deaths now. It's just not in the British psyche to be wholly compliant as they are in Singapore or South Korea, there'll always be a not insignificant proportion of Brits (from across social classes) who are arrogant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems the people of Orange County in Southern California have decided to ignore their lockdown.

In Berlin the lockdown has been quite different. We are allowed out and allowed to meet in pairs. We’re also allowed to sit in public spaces in pairs as long as we adhere to certain criteria. I meet a friend to go running at the weekends. On Friday I sat in a park with a takeaway and a bottle of wine with the Frau. Very shortly I am meeting a friend in the square opposite Brewdog, which conveniently sells takeaway pints of draft beer in plastic pint cups. The police are out in force ensuring the rules are maintained and on Friday about 20 entered the park, looked around...then thanked everyone via a load hailer for sticking to the rules (as an aside very few things sound more German than a German talking through a speaker). My point being is I think it’s unrealistic and unworkable to lock people up for long periods. We have a happy medium which facilitates going out and meeting but equally is heavily skewed towards minimising contact but crucially it’s a balance which seems to be working.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A few voices are starting to say that in media interviews, that if we'd locked down a week or two earlier, it would've started to collapse that much earlier.

Their overriding point is that if 100% of people who could have socially distanced, had done, that would've made a huge differences to the number of new cases and deaths now. It's just not in the British psyche to be wholly compliant as they are in Singapore or South Korea, there'll always be a not insignificant proportion of Brits (from across social classes) who are arrogant.

Agreed

All these comments suggesting lockdown is now ‘done’ or failing are rubbish IMO. 90-95% of people are still observing it......and 5-10% of people being thick/selfish will keep the R below 1 so won’t lead to another spike. Think the govt are right at the moment not to communicate how the lockdown will be eased - the second they announce what is coming, people will start doing it in anticipation. The plan or a range of measures, will already be well documented - just can’t trust Joe Public with it yet.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In Berlin the lockdown has been quite different. We are allowed out and allowed to meet in pairs. We’re also allowed to sit in public spaces in pairs as long as we adhere to certain criteria. I meet a friend to go running at the weekends. On Friday I sat in a park with a takeaway and a bottle of wine with the Frau. Very shortly I am meeting a friend in the square opposite Brewdog, which conveniently sells takeaway pints of draft beer in plastic pint cups. The police are out in force ensuring the rules are maintained and on Friday about 20 entered the park, looked around...then thanked everyone via a load hailer for sticking to the rules (as an aside very few things sound more German than a German talking through a speaker). My point being is I think it’s unrealistic and unworkable to lock people up for long periods. We have a happy medium which facilitates going out and meeting but equally is heavily skewed towards minimising contact but crucially it’s a balance which seems to be working.

Sky News covered this just then. It ended up being a unique mix of the left (and far right who turned up), both against what they see as big government infringing of liberties with lockdown and social distancing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2020/apr/26/coronavirus-dozens-arrested-in-berlin-protesting-against-lockdown-video

(You know I like Germany and Germans, so this is NOT a sly ant-EU post. :smile:).

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

I agree although I'd say it's more of about Western values rather than a British thing. There's been unrest in a fair few other Western countries which we haven't seen here, eg French suburbs, that Berlin video, and of course the good 'ol USA. (Also, the worst I've heard are the Mexico attacks on medical workers which sounds horrendous!). I know Spain and Italy locked down a lot harder than us, but I suspect if we had have done similar here most brits would have responded in the same way as the Spanish and Italians in terms of adhering - there wouldnt be too much choice anyway with police and sometimes military everywhere handing heavy fines!

Generally, eastern countries are more collective and are respectful of the rules, which certainly has its drawbacks when compared to Western values, but also has its benefits, such as in situations like this!

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
As far as I can see still 90+% of people are complizant especially on distancing. Bearing in mind its a sunny Sunday I took my walk to Hove lagoon this pm and as far as I could judge in general most were happy to walk and keep their distance. Yes there were a few sitting on the beachbut even they were being careful about distance. There will naturally be more out at weekends.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Agreed

All these comments suggesting lockdown is now ‘done’ or failing are rubbish IMO. 90-95% of people are still observing it......and 5-10% of people being thick/selfish will keep the R below 1 so won’t lead to another spike. Think the govt are right at the moment not to communicate how the lockdown will be eased - the second they announce what is coming, people will start doing it in anticipation. The plan or a range of measures, will already be well documented - just can’t trust Joe Public with it yet.

Yeah, just been out along the coast and considering the weather its absolutely fine and, bar a couple of dickhead cyclists weaving in and out, everybody was being considerate of others. The government must be cursing the fact that since lockdown the weather has been absolutely glorious for weeks on end, though! Although for people's mental health it's been good - unless perhaps you don't have outdoor space. Bit more mixed next week though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here