Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think it's so they can get to the supermarkets which are reserving early hours / 8am-9am for the OAPs. :wave:

Well yes, obviously.They should be isolating not riding around on rammed buses. How is it possibly a good idea to have busses crammed with old people at the same time every day? It just puts everyone at more risk.
It’s against all medical and governmental advice. Bonkers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It’s against all medical and governmental advice.

The government doesn't know its arse from its elbow. Most of what they advise, is contrary to their own advice elsewhere.

"Social distancing is ESSENTIAL, to slow the spread, but we don't need to shut the schools"

"Please don't go to the pubs, clubs, restaurants and cafes, that are all welcome to continue to trade"

It is little wonder people are confused, and failing to grasp what they should be doing.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Well yes, obviously.They should be isolating not riding around on rammed buses. How is it possibly a good idea to have busses crammed with old people at the same time every day? It just puts everyone at more risk.
It’s against all medical and governmental advice. Bonkers.

Not ideal by any means, but old people need food and those who are panic-buying / stockpiling / causing chaos and empty shelves are making it impossible for the old folk to get to the stuff on the shelves in a more ideal fashion spread across the day.

Maybe once the plonkers' cupboards / freezers are full to bursting with stockpiled goods they might take a day or two off going to the supermarket and things will chill out a bit.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The government doesn't know its arse from its elbow. Most of what they advise, is contrary to their own advice elsewhere.

"Social distancing is ESSENTIAL, to slow the spread, but we don't need to shut the schools"

"Please don't go to the pubs, clubs, restaurants and cafes, that we are all welcome to continue to trade"

It is little wonder people are confused, and failing to grasp what they should be doing.

It's a phased approach, the screws are being tightened over time. I assume they think this makes it easier for people to accept / adjust to rather than pushing all the buttons at once. I guess it will make more sense once everything is shut etc. Which we can expect to be not that far away I would imagine.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

"Please don't go to the pubs, clubs, restaurants and cafes, that are all welcome to continue to trade"

Agree with this the response feels knee jerk and contradictory and think more should be done to create regional tactics to target the outbreak rather than blanketing the whole country with the same measures. This approach is having a huge impact in South Korea without closing down the whole country.

As of today there were 10 confirmed cases in West Sussex in a population of 900k and yes whilst this only includes tested individuals suggest that with a more targeted effort whole counties could be more economically and socially active whilst harder measures may be better in more impacted areas.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

It's a phased approach, the screws are being tightened over time. I assume they think this makes it easier for people to accept / adjust to rather than pushing all the buttons at once. I guess it will make more sense once everything is shut etc. Which we can expect to be not that far away I would imagine.

The graphic above, explains very, very clearly, why fannying around with concepts like "Ooh people won't behave for more than 3 weeks" is dangerous bullshit.

Limit interaction = slow spread = control levels of infection = NHS copes = less people DIE.

I cannot get my head round any counter argument to this.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

True. After reading posts on here and re evaluating my take on it all I’m falling in line with the social distancing as much as I can. Even if I still think it’s OTT, it can’t do any harm and pretty much everyone is doing it anyway so I’m kind of doing it by default anyway.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
True. After reading posts on here and re evaluating my take on it all I’m falling in line with the social distancing as much as I can. Even if I still think it’s OTT, it can’t do any harm and pretty much everyone is doing it anyway so I’m kind of doing it by default anyway.

Fancy a pint? :wink:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
8 people in east Sussex with it, the one person that had it in a Brighton hospital is now at home recovered. There are zero people with the virus in Brighton hospitals.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Exactly the opposite of what they should be doing. Brilliant.

It is to enable them to get to the supermarket early in the morning before everybody else is let in (vulnerable people only until 9.00 a.m. in many supermarkets). Not sure all day bus passes will be much use if we go into lock-down though - and apart from essential visits to supermarkets, we're advised not to use public transport anyway!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is to enable them to get to the supermarket early in the morning before everybody else is let in (vulnerable people only until 9.00 a.m. in many supermarkets). Not sure all day bus passes will be much use if we go into lock-down though - and apart from essential visits to supermarkets, we're advised not to use public transport anyway!

I know that......but them all squeezing on to a cramped bus, then standing in a long queue inches apart before barging past each other to grab the loo rolls (and knowing the silvertops, stopping for chats in the middle of the aisles with their ****ing trollies all over the place) isn't really minimising social contact is it................

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know that......but them all squeezing on to a cramped bus, then standing in a long queue inches apart before barging past each other to grab the loo rolls (and knowing the silvertops, stopping for chats in the middle of the aisles with their ****ing trollies all over the place) isn't really minimising social contact is it................

Certainly not ideal - but there isn't really a win-win situation here. Giving oldies a chance to buy food, but with the downside of going on a bus? - lesser of two evils perhaps. Besides, the buses won't be crowded before 9 o'clock any more - commuters working from home and schoolkids not going to school.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Certainly not ideal - but there isn't really a win-win situation here. Giving oldies a chance to buy food, but with the downside of going on a bus? - lesser of two evils perhaps. Besides, the buses won't be crowded before 9 o'clock any more - commuters working from home and schoolkids not going to school.

Presumably you haven't seen the queues of pensioners that were outside supermarkets this morning. Assuming they won't be crowded is possibly optimistic. Should be co-ordinated shopping for, and delivery to, the vulnerable.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Presumably you haven't seen the queues of pensioners that were outside supermarkets this morning. Assuming they won't be crowded is possibly optimistic. Should be co-ordinated shopping for, and delivery to, the vulnerable.

Didn't say the supermarkets wouldn't be crowded - a big majority of oldies would drive anyway. The buses won't be crowded.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How are all the old biddies getting to the shops then ?

In their cars (as in "a majority of oldies would drive"). We oldies don't give up our cars and driving licences until we have to, you know! Or car-sharing. Or driven by a friend/relative. If they were all coming on the bus the car park wouldn't be rammed, would it ......................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here