Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes, however if you take the right precautions and act wisely having a beer with a friend in some empty pub is probably less dangerous to everyone than going to buy some toilet rolls.

No, no, no.

Your mate has it. He doesn't know it.

He's breathing in your general direction across the pub table for an hour or two.

You inhale it. You now have it.

You go home. You breathe a lot. Everyone in your house has it.

They go out to the shop or something. They breathe everywhere. Someone else breathes it in.

Repeat until tens of thousands are infected.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Mum (leafy Sussex, 70s) told me last night that she doesn't want to be the reason she takes an NHS bed from someone (with underlying health issues) who really needs it, so is self-isolating for at least a week, as are the rest of the nearby family.

I however am in London, in schools ('til Friday, anyway), and have cancelled anything I had planned that involves anybody else. Once I got it into my head that I may but quite easily be a - what's the word, vector? - then being careful (don't queue too closely, don't lick handrails, simply don't see family and friends) becomes a very easy option.

Plus, the only thing supermarkets aren't selling out of is alcohol. My local Sainsbury's has Guinness at £4 a 4-pack at the moment :thumbsup:

ASDA today had no loo roll, no cereal, not many biscuits - but still decent enough supplies of beer. However, they were limiting everyone to three of each item only - but still advertising beer at '4 for £6'. I didn't try seeing what would happen if I tried to take them up on their offer.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
FFS. It’s not remotely necessary to go to the pub. Do you understand risk management at all ?

I disagree.

You guys judge this guy for making that decision but we all do something that is not 100% perfect. Might touch your face after opening a door - bam, everyone that is near you is at risk. Might buy some "necessities" that are not 100% necessary for your survival - bam, unnecessary risk. That shit happens and I can imagine no-one is perfect at this in every moment and thats fine. As I see it friends are more "necessary" than toilet paper.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No, no, no.

He's breathing in your general direction across the pub table for an hour or two.

They go out to the shop or something. They breathe everywhere. Someone else breathes it in.

I know, its a risk, but we all take some risks - I went to my locale tobacco store today and there was an elderly woman in the store as well. Did I wait outside? I thought about but went in, though I kept myself far from her. Did I go with the perfect level of safety? No, but very few if anyone is. So I dont go "ahhh you're risking everyones life!!" whenever someone take a small, calculated risk.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I disagree.

You guys judge this guy for making that decision but we all do something that is not 100% perfect. Might touch your face after opening a door - bam, everyone that is near you is at risk. Might buy some "necessities" that are not 100% necessary for your survival - bam, unnecessary risk. That shit happens and I can imagine no-one is perfect at this in every moment and thats fine. As I see it friends are more "necessary" than toilet paper.

Thanks. Confirmed you don’t understand.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Forgive me - I am a mere clown - but are all of you good people dodging the gym?

My thinking is more clouded than usual because:

I know an NHS doctor who is going every day
The owner's argument is that the facilities are cleaner than most public areas and full of sanitiser
I'm recovering from an injury which I would prefer to test on machines before I run outside
An element of social distancing has apparently just been introduced within the gym (every other machine outlawed), as flawed as that seems
I feel responsibility to a colleague in Italy who is urging everyone not to go out
The science points to gyms being a terrible idea
I've spent the last few days taking public transport to odd jobs in London and across Sussex and would rather stare at my own face for more than two minutes than endanger anyone

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
You surely arent that thick, you're risking your wife and kids lives by going for one ****ing beer. You selfish prick. She has every right to be angry at you.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Wow calling me a selfish prick.

I am not going to get into name calling online. However have taken the other rational comment onboard.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No, no, no.

Yep, you’re spot on. Avoiding pubs and any unnecessary gatherings. Everyone should now.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Forgive me - I am a mere clown - but are all of you good people dodging the gym?

The owner's argument is that the facilities are cleaner than most public areas and full of sanitiser
I'm recovering from an injury which I would prefer to test on machines before I run outside
An element of social distancing has apparently just been introduced within the gym (every other machine outlawed), as flawed as that seems
I feel responsibility to a colleague in Italy who is urging everyone not to go out
I've spent the last few days taking public transport to odd jobs in London and across Sussex and would rather stare at my own face for more than two minutes than endanger anyone

Still going for now but spend more time wiping down kit than working out. Will probably give it a miss from now on. Because nobody else in the gym seems to be taking any precautions .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yep, swerving it for now and sticking to running outdoors on my own........TBH the fresh air alone is a brilliant release.

I can see the logic - most people presumably now much more diligent in using the wipes etc, but it’s still a fairly confined space with lots of surfaces touched by lots of people.

Edit - just seen what [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] has posted. People really not wiping down ? FFS.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
ETbX7m8X0AEGYw8.jpg

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
This could be why people have started leaving a cars length distance between themselves and the car in front at junctions and traffic lights, most frustrating, the cars won't spread it !

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Been going . Has quietened off a bit bit still pretty busy. Cleaning hands after and wiping down machines . Important to stay healthy .

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The gym is tough for many people as it is a fundamental part of their life, and one of the main things which maintains their physical and mental health.

I would like to go, but is does seem contrary to the general flavour of the Government guidance. Definitely feels more likely to spread in a gym than other venues such as cafes which we have been told to stay away from.

At this point, people can make their own call, and - correct me if I am wrong - so far as I know there is no specific Government guidance on gym attendance.

If / when the restrictions ramp up, if we follow what other countries have done - establishments like gyms and restaurants will be required to close and that will be the end of it.

On that basis, a longer term solution will be working out what you can do at home / outdoors. Having some equipment / weights could help, but is not essential.

There are tons of videos on YouTube giving great tutorials on body weight exercises and home workouts in general. Loads more will be appearing now.

Personally, I won’t expect to achieve the progress I could in the gym, but I reckon I can stay in shape. Also I will be ramping up how much time I spend on cardio as running and cycling are going to be my two main reasons for getting outside, as I live in a flat and am working from home. Most people will have some fat they want to lose so this could be a good time to focus on that.

Best of luck to all gym goers. Stay positive and just focus on what you can do, if the gyms shut. We can all still stay healthy and make progress, it will just be different for a time. [emoji1320]

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm taking it reasonably seriously. As an asthma sufferer I'm on the "high risk/vulnerable" list. I was in London for work this week, but am now WFH for the foreseeable future. We were booked to go out for lunch on Sunday in town for mothers day, but I'm not going now. Mrs P and daughter still to make up their minds whether they go on their own or not.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm taking it reasonably seriously. As an asthma sufferer I'm on the "high risk/vulnerable" list. I was in London for work this week, but am now WFH for the foreseeable future. We were booked to go out for lunch on Sunday in town for mothers day, but I'm not going now. Mrs P and daughter still to make up their minds whether they go on their own or not.

Surely that’s self defeating, if they go you might as well go as well?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
What is so difficult to understand about social distancing?

Just wow. I’m losing significant faith in the intelligence of the public over this.

- No, going out for a meal is NOT social distancing.
- “I’ve been wfh all week so it’s ok if I go down the boozer for a couple of pints right?” Uh, no. See above.
- “I’m going shopping in town and to meet some friends. That’s alright Innit? I’ve been home last few days”.

Facepalm.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
ASDA today had no loo roll, no cereal, not many biscuits - but still decent enough supplies of beer. However, they were limiting everyone to three of each item only - but still advertising beer at '4 for £6'. I didn't try seeing what would happen if I tried to take them up on their offer.

Email from Asda today. Only vulnerable people allowed in before 9 a.m. - the fit and healthy asked to wait until 9 before removing all the toilet rolls. Nice idea, I think, but I'm not sure us over 70s are any less infectious than anybody else.
Been retired a while now - and getting my shopping done before 9 a.m. will come as a bit of a culture shock!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The gym is tough for many people as it is a fundamental part of their life, and one of the main things which maintains their physical and mental health.

I would like to go, but is does seem contrary to the general flavour of the Government guidance. Definitely feels more likely to spread in a gym than other venues such as cafes which we have been told to stay away from.

At this point, people can make their own call, and - correct me if I am wrong - so far as I know there is no specific Government guidance on gym attendance.

If / when the restrictions ramp up, if we follow what other countries have done - establishments like gyms and restaurants will be required to close and that will be the end of it.

On that basis, a longer term solution will be working out what you can do at home / outdoors. Having some equipment / weights could help, but is not essential.

There are tons of videos on YouTube giving great tutorials on body weight exercises and home workouts in general. Loads more will be appearing now.

Personally, I won’t expect to achieve the progress I could in the gym, but I reckon I can stay in shape. Also I will be ramping up how much time I spend on cardio as running and cycling are going to be my two main reasons for getting outside, as I live in a flat and am working from home. Most people will have some fat they want to lose so this could be a good time to focus on that.

Best of luck to all gym goers. Stay positive and just focus on what you can do, if the gyms shut. We can all still stay healthy and make progress, it will just be different for a time. [emoji1320]

Phoned my gym yesterday to cancel my subscription - they've suspended it - and the payments - until such time as I might want to resume.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here