Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I am off to the pub in 5 mins... this is a local that has literally 2/3 ppl. My misses is angry as she is pregnant however she has been teaching 30 kids all day. I have been self isolating for days now. I am taking this seriously and have been wfh for 2 weeks now, however going for one beer with one mate, in a empty pub, whilst using my hand sanitiser surely is ok?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am off to the pub in 5 mins... this is a local that has literally 2/3 ppl. My misses is angry as she is pregnant however she has been teaching 30 kids all day. I have been self isolating for days now. I am taking this seriously and have been wfh for 2 weeks now, however going for one beer with one mate, in a empty pub, whilst using my hand sanitiser surely is ok?

I hope you are drinking that beer with a straw!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
As of now the 70+ group are not restricted from shopping. It might change soon but for now your in laws are doing nothing wrong.

If you reread my original post I said my in-laws were going to continue to pop out for a paper, etc.

I understand they can do what they want now, but they don’t seem to understand this is about to change!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

FFS No no no.

That is not social distancing? What do you think it means?

Wow. I despair.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Maybe, maybe not...............who has been in there before you ? Did they have a cough ? Has the barman got it ? Have all the surfaces you'll touch been sanitised ? Bar ? Glass ? Door handles ? Table and chairs ? It's inconceivable that you can fully protect yourself against picking it up if someone has been in before you and coughed virus droplets over various surfaces. Hope not, but maybe you'll pick up the virus and pass it on to your (pregnant) wife, who'll then pass it on the the kids tomorrow and so on.............wouldn't take the risk myself TBH.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
Very seriously here. Both me and the wife are work from home so no contact with anyone at all right now, just not worth it, why risk the spread? Walking the dog a couple of times a day and everyone on the streets giving each other a very wide berth... never seen the roads so quieter, less traffic than on Christmas Day today

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Maybe, maybe not...............who has been in there before you ? Did they have a cough ? Has the barman got it ? Have all the surfaces you'll touch been sanitised ? Bar ? Glass ? Door handles ? Table and chairs ? It's inconceivable that you can fully protect yourself against picking it up if someone has been in before you and coughed virus droplets over various surfaces. Hope not, but maybe you'll pick up the virus and pass it on to your (pregnant) wife, who'll then pass it on the the kids tomorrow and so on.............wouldn't take the risk myself TBH.

You're not wrong, read an article this morning about a controlled test some scientists did. They got some coronavirus out of a patient and got it into an aerosol, and sprayed it in a controlled environment to see how long it hanged in the air and on surfaces. In the air it was up to 3 hours, though half life was less than an air.

On some surfaces like wood and copper it wasnt to long but on hard plastics and metal, there were still live traces up to 3 days later.

Every time you leave the house, the infection is increasing, the amount of covid19 on various surfaces and in the air is increasing. Good advice to the fella to avoid the boozer.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I used a cash machine by keeping sterilized kitchen roll on the buttons then BINNED the tissue. Couldn't believe people in front were using their bare hands and then touching their face afterwards!

As anyone who has read any blockbuster assassin thrillers knows (Baladacci, Hurwitz, Wood), you always use you knuckles to operate any buttons or keypads to avoid fingerprints. Appreciate it’s still contact where the virus is concerned but better than using your fingertips.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
You surely arent that thick, you're risking your wife and kids lives by going for one ****ing beer. You selfish prick. She has every right to be angry at you.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
We're doing it - only being anywhere near others in shops we need to visit, so very rarely. Going out for walks where no-one is, not in the towns.

I'll still be really pissed off if they try and make us stay in our houses, though - we can get exercise without being anywhere near other people.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

While probably not the safest decision ever made it sounds reasonable if the conditions are like you describe them. While I am of the opinion that everything should be shut down asap, having a beer with your friend when its possibly the last time in months or a year... do it. The "stop living because you fear death" thing is unusually valid at this point, but a beer the days before lockdown... yes.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The only way to social distance properly is to lock yourself away completely. Otherwise it is impossible - there are far too many people in confined spaces (toilet roll aisles in supermarkets) and some form of inadvertent physical contact is inevitable. Also if everyone isolates themselves completely, society and the economy begin to break down. Wait until half your bin men are off and see the uncollected refuse start to pile up. Or cemetery and crematoria staff are ill or isolating and you can't dispose of the dead.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I own a local shop for local people. Not really sure what Im supposed to be doing other than the recommended hand washing etc. Will be starting a delivery service for elderly and self isolating in the village next week. Had a meeting with my staff and they are all aware of the situation and risks involved . The people of the village have looked after me for the last 15 years and I intend to look after them if I can in the safest way that I can.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
While probably not the safest decision ever made it sounds reasonable if the conditions are like you describe them. While I am of the opinion that everything should be shut down asap, having a beer with your friend when its possibly the last time in months or a year... do it. The "stop living because you fear death" thing is unusually valid at this point, but a beer the days before lockdown... yes.

Its not about “stop living because you fear death”.

We’re not social distancing for our own selfish reasons. It’s to curb the spread of the disease.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its not about “stop living because you fear death”.

We’re not social distancing for our own selfish reasons. It’s to curb the spread of the disease.

Yes, however if you take the right precautions and act wisely having a beer with a friend in some empty pub is probably less dangerous to everyone than going to buy some toilet rolls.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Does wearing gloves actually make any real difference though?

My understanding is that this virus is transferred by touch.
e.g. infected person wipes nose = virus on hand
hand touches another surface [e.g. door handle] = virus transferred to door handle surface
Next person comes along and touches door handle = virus now transferred to their hand.
This person then wipes their nose / rubs their eye and the virus makes entry into their body.

Only if you don't wipe your nose / rub your eyes whilst wearing gloves will it make any difference - the virus doesn't penetrate your skin to get into your body.
If you pick up the virus on a glove, the next thing you touch will have the virus deposited upon it, same as if it was on your bare hand.
So how does wearing gloves make any difference?

Sounds like gloves are a false sense of security to me - what am I missing?

Good challenge. What if you only wore gloves when out? Wearing gloves, you tend not to pick your nose, or rub eyes. If when you get home, you take them off, then you won't bring it in? Hurray......But any bottles of Jack Daniels you collected whilst out in your gloved hand, would bring the virus into your house......., maybe 2 sets of gloves........ok I'm out.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, however if you take the right precautions and act wisely having a beer with a friend in some empty pub is probably less dangerous to everyone than going to buy some toilet rolls.

FFS. It’s not remotely necessary to go to the pub. Do you understand risk management at all ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here