Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Question;

I’m getting a bit bored of the green and the beach. Is there any harm in getting up proper early, 6 am and going further afield? Walking. Say up to Mill Hill or Devils Dyke? On my own.
What it be out of order?

There's no stated limit on how long/far you go - the key is not to travel to exercise, ie keep it as local as your fitness permits.

Even though I run every day, I've avoided Worthing seafront for a couple of weeks now - the last time I was down there was around 10pm on a Sunday evening. I intend to revisit the front tomorrow morning, but leaving home (Findon) at 5:30am. I hit the seafront after 4.5 miles, so around 6:05, allowing me to catch the sunrise at 6:12. I'll leave the front at Brooklands around 6:40 and be back home around 7:15.

I'm hoping these timings mean I don't see too many others out and about.

Your plan sounds sensible (assuming you're not jumping in the car to do this).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There's no stated limit on how long/far you go - the key is not to travel to exercise, ie keep it as local as your fitness permits.

Even though I run every day, I've avoided Worthing seafront for a couple of weeks now - the last time I was down there was around 10pm on a Sunday evening. I intend to revisit the front tomorrow morning, but leaving home (Findon) at 5:30am. I hit the seafront after 4.5 miles, so around 6:05, allowing me to catch the sunrise at 6:12. I'll leave the front at Brooklands around 6:40 and be back home around 7:15.

I'm hoping these timings mean I don't see too many others out and about.

Your plan sounds sensible (assuming you're not jumping in the car to do this).

Thanks. Yeah, walking along country lanes and Downs Link, should be deserted at that time.
I’ve been running every other day, laps of beach green when it’s quiet and walking every other day at sunset on the beach to about the Brooklands area, usually quite low tide so plenty of room and only a few people out then anyway. Just looking for a change of scene before I go back on nights tomorrow.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Cheers. The Danish PM summed up succinctly with “walking a tightrope” as they ease restrictions.

Interesting about Austria opening up hotels from mid May, tourism is the lifeblood of huge swathes of the country.

I wonder when non-flight travel will be permitted between say the UK and Austria?

On the USA, I have a similar scenario to you with booked flights, but this summer. For many weeks now, I’ve assumed that they’ll never happen.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Lol..i assume you are referring to the one on the left...its my work one...I’m prone to low grade skin cancers on my face/head...so its for protection ...but looks ok too :)

Same here, solar keratosis. Have about 10 hats as I’m always misplacing 9 of them.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Same here, solar keratosis. Have about 10 hats as I’m always misplacing 9 of them.

Ah yes...ive had a few of those...i normally seem to pick up basal cell carcinomas ...which unfortunately leads to a bit of cutting ...the receptionists at Southland’s Hospital know my name without even looking at the file....sadly!
I’ve five ..three for work ...2 for leisure
Although I’ve lost a bit of an ear..the most scary procedure was on a mole on my right calf which i was told would have led to melamona...when you get referred to a Macmillan nurse it focuses the mind

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Thanks. Yeah, walking along country lanes and Downs Link, should be deserted at that time.
I’ve been running every other day, laps of beach green when it’s quiet and walking every other day at sunset on the beach to about the Brooklands area, usually quite low tide so plenty of room and only a few people out then anyway. Just looking for a change of scene before I go back on nights tomorrow.

You got your power back?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Cheers. The Danish PM summed up succinctly with “walking a tightrope” as they ease restrictions.

Interesting about Austria opening up hotels from mid May, tourism is the lifeblood of huge swathes of the country.

I wonder when non-flight travel will be permitted between say the UK and Austria?

On the USA, I have a similar scenario to you with booked flights, but this summer. For many weeks now, I’ve assumed that they’ll never happen.

I think the states will be open by then

I read somewhere The MGM group will go bust if they are not fully operational by August.

They own half the Vegas Strip.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think the states will be open by then

I read somewhere The MGM group will go bust if they are not fully operational by August.

They own half the Vegas Strip.

May 1st is a date being discussed in the US a lot right now, but I can see Trump and Fauci disagreeing as to the speed of opening up - they are both giving off completely different vibes right now.

Beyond that, Trump may want to open things up, but he may lack the power to do so. From CNN.com:

A constitutional lawyer says President Trump might not have the authority to completely reopen the country from restrictions put in place to help combat the coronavirus pandemic.

Page Pate, a criminal defense and constitutional attorney, told CNN that the Constitution and US Supreme Court interpretation does not give the President the authority to override governors' decisions.

"If we have a governor enact a particular restriction that's more restrictive than the President wants, of course the President can suggest that the governor not do that," Pate said. "But as far as coming in and telling a specific governor you've got to reopen your schools, you have to allow businesses to reopen, a president can only do that if the state restriction interferes with interstate commerce."

Some context: This insight comes after President Trump said Friday at the White House Coronavirus Task Force briefing that the decision to reopen the country's economy will be the "biggest decision" he's ever made.

Pate said although this is how the Constitution is interpreted, this particular issue has not played out in the courts before.

"If you look at the constitution, the president's responsibilities and authority ends with the federal government. He cannot control the individual states as far as specific local restrictions," he said.​

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
May 1st is a date being discussed in the US a lot right now, but I can see Trump and Fauci disagreeing as to the speed of opening up - they are both giving off completely different vibes right now.

Beyond that, Trump may want to open things up, but he may lack the power to do so. From CNN.com:

A constitutional lawyer says President Trump might not have the authority to completely reopen the country from restrictions put in place to help combat the coronavirus pandemic.

Page Pate, a criminal defense and constitutional attorney, told CNN that the Constitution and US Supreme Court interpretation does not give the President the authority to override governors' decisions.

"If we have a governor enact a particular restriction that's more restrictive than the President wants, of course the President can suggest that the governor not do that," Pate said. "But as far as coming in and telling a specific governor you've got to reopen your schools, you have to allow businesses to reopen, a president can only do that if the state restriction interferes with interstate commerce."

Some context: This insight comes after President Trump said Friday at the White House Coronavirus Task Force briefing that the decision to reopen the country's economy will be the "biggest decision" he's ever made.

Pate said although this is how the Constitution is interpreted, this particular issue has not played out in the courts before.

"If you look at the constitution, the president's responsibilities and authority ends with the federal government. He cannot control the individual states as far as specific local restrictions," he said.​

Think it will be June the first UK flights depart properly and the ban is lifted by the FCO

The Government will want to take the pressure off the industry, by lifting the ban it will be down to the publics insurance to pay up and not the airline/tour operator as the flights going - same for hotels locally.

As for the above - I’m certain the Governor of Nevada/Florida will open up asap - MGM group directly employ 75k people alone in Vegas and that doesn’t include staff that work in the franchise inside the hotel.

Imagine the income the state is missing out on as well....

It must be even worse in Florida....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think it will be June the first UK flights depart properly and the ban is lifted by the FCO

The Government will want to take the pressure off the industry, by lifting the ban it will be down to the publics insurance to pay up and not the airline/tour operator as the flights going - same for hotels locally.

As for the above - I’m certain the Governor of Nevada/Florida will open up asap - MGM group directly employ 75k people alone in Vegas and that doesn’t include staff that work in the franchise inside the hotel.

Imagine the income the state is missing out on as well....

It must be even worse in Florida....

Good to mention insurance. To get travel insurance for our NYC July trip, will probably be at a astronomically high premium (US med costs), unless we can go knowing that we’ve had covid19.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good to mention insurance. To get travel insurance for our NYC July trip, will probably be at a astronomically high premium (US med costs), unless we can go knowing that we’ve had covid19.

Possibly unobtainable, Direct Line has written to us stating not covering anything Covid-19 related from 13th March 2020

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Prices it up a couple weeks ago and it was roughly the same.

But a week ago is a long time atm

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
5live today before 4pm had on a scientist guest, very knowledgeable on covid19 and pandemics. He felt that a safe vaccine is a long way off, possibly never.
Never? I didn't realise that was a possibility. Or is it an exaggeration of either 'safe' (because vaccine's are never without any risks at all) or possibly?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Never? I didn't realise that was a possibility. Or is it an exaggeration of either 'safe' (because vaccine's are never without any risks at all) or possibly?

He definitely said that, not to be sensationalist, but to cover all bases. It wouldn’t mean that millions will die, as later herd immunity will take effect. He felt that the world including China had missed a trick on research and testing that could’ve done in preparation before this particular virus or disease. Worth a listen if you can source old 5live shows, he was the final guest of Adrian Chiles today.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Isn't "never" a possibility for almost anything?

Albion may never win a game of football again. We probably will of course, but we may not...

I think I'm right in saying that there's never been a vaccine for any kind of coronavirus before, although it turned out there was no real need for the original SARS and MERS due to the way the illnesses developed which negated much of the need.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Isn't "never" a possibility for almost anything?
Indeed, that's what I was getting at - was he saying that there's a reason we might not be able to get a vaccine for this virus, or was he just stating the obvious (that it's always possible we might never get a vaccine for a new virus).

I think I'm right in saying that there's never been a vaccine for any kind of coronavirus before, although it turned out there was no real need for the original SARS and MERS due to the way the illnesses developed which negated much of the need.
I've no idea whether that makes it unlikely we'd get one. Given that so many sources have talked about getting one in 18 months or so, I'll hope there's no new reason to doubt that we will.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
Possibly unobtainable, Direct Line has written to us stating not covering anything Covid-19 related from 13th March 2020

Yeah not sure on travel insurance specifically as I haven't tried but our insurance brokers advised that insurers were excluded Covid related things from ALL their policies with an effective date of Jan 20th - mostly to do with music industry but he implied it would be a permanent fixture going forward unless you had an existing policy in place

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
There is also a lot of negativity around herd immunity. This below offers real hope.
The drug Ivermectin has been shown to virtually wipe out CV19 within 48 hours (in lab conditions). If this translates to success in the field, please note I am not talking about clinical trials here, it could be a major step forward. This is not a vaccine, but a treatment.
This drug is commonly used to treat parasites, it has been widely used on humans worldwide and is cheap to produce. Other than pregnant or breastfeeding women, it is generally safe to use.

https://youtu.be/qc6VV7ue4cE

Firstly it may be able to stop cases progressing in hospital. If it then moves to early intervention alongside a test and trace strategy, we MAY just see some levels of normality return.

That's great if it's true, but it all needs to be tested properly. This is a great article about Hydroxychloroquine and how bad information spreads over social media.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/06/hydroxychloroquine-trump-coronavirus-drug

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here