Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How rubbish are BAA & Eurostar ?

Dandyman

In London village.
Well ?

Most major roads in London are clear and the tubes are running. BAA and Eurostar meanwhile are running round like headless chickens.

Discuss.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Heathrow has not had any snow since Saturday, but there are thousands stuffed in the terminals with no facilities and no info. There were 1,300 people outside the building in the queue for Eurostar, standing there for well over 5 hours, with no information - apparently Eurostar were not allowed to give them any hot drinks due to "Health & Safety" - including the elderly woman and babies in the queue. Whatever the problems with the service, there is NO excuse for treating people like that - I would hope they got sued, but that would only put the ticket prices up.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The planes are frozen in,the tracks are frozen up.Many places in Europe are the same.The Eurostar problem was largely on the "other" side.Let's fly a plane or two and see if any crash.

Rubbish,these companies.

Dandyman

In London village.
The planes are frozen in,the tracks are frozen up.Many places in Europe are the same.The Eurostar problem was largely on the "other" side.Let's fly a plane or two and see if any crash.

Rubbish,these companies.

And the shit treatment of their customers ? As TD says there were people half way down the Euston Road and BAA were refusing entry to terminals and failing to provide any real information.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There were 1,300 people outside the building in the queue for Eurostar, standing there for well over 5 hours

would those be the people told not to go to the station as trains arent running? or were these a special group told they would definatly be on a train, ahead of all those already waiting in the station?

obviously Heathrow is still shut for a giggles, there nothing wrong with the runway, the aircraft or crews. BAA is just having a big chuckle at everyones misery.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Eurostar were brilliant in the last snow. Mrs TRHK was stuck in Geneva with the airport there and at Gatwick closed. But Eurostar got her back to the UK. No complaints from her. I understand most of the issues are to do with people who have missed their slots in the last few days trying to get seats on Eurostar trains that are already booked solid over Christmas. Can't really blame Eurostar because they have sold out prior to Christmas and don't have capacity to carry those unfortunate people whose trains were cancelled when the snow was at its worst (here and in France btw).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
An unnamed aviation boss was laying into BAA yesterday. He claimed his airline were told to de-ice and get ready to go a number of times in the past few days. The planes were primed and ready on time only to be told the runway and other areas were still too icy.

It's a joke. A sad one at that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I read that Frankfurt has a number of stranded passengers and the airport operator phoned the army and borrowed a 1000 field beds for passengers. Amongst other things they also got clowns in to entertain the passenger's children. Clowns aside, the Frankfurt effort is vastly different to BAA's response.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
would those be the people told not to go to the station as trains arent running? or were these a special group told they would definatly be on a train, ahead of all those already waiting in the station?

obviously Heathrow is still shut for a giggles, there nothing wrong with the runway, the aircraft or crews. BAA is just having a big chuckle at everyones misery.

I have no axe to grind, just what I saw on the News, but if you believe what people were saying (and it was pretty unanimous), they were told to turn up (some of them had been told to turn up at 2AM). There is no excuse for not giving them information though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Heathrow has not had any snow since Saturday, but there are thousands stuffed in the terminals with no facilities and no info. There were 1,300 people outside the building in the queue for Eurostar, standing there for well over 5 hours, with no information - apparently Eurostar were not allowed to give them any hot drinks due to "Health & Safety" - including the elderly woman and babies in the queue. Whatever the problems with the service, there is NO excuse for treating people like that - I would hope they got sued, but that would only put the ticket prices up.

What is it with the UK though? Other nations rise to the challenge (see my Frankfurt comment below) but we just collapse and give up every single time.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
thats interesting, Tricky, i wonder what the media's input in to our perception of all this is. im certain i saw a report yesturday morning where Eurostar was saying dont go and i think they were saying that since Saturday afternoon at Heathrow. chap at work was at Heathrow Saturday, the information is/was appaling as he was told to wait around for 6 hours. but another expecting to go out Monday came into work instead after being told Sunday dont go in, flights are cancelled.

when you see the news, why even bother? its quite obvious there was nothing going out Sunday/Monday and the backlog that would cause, take stock and make alternative arrangments.

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
And the shit treatment of their customers ? As TD says there were people half way down the Euston Road and BAA were refusing entry to terminals and failing to provide any real information.

heathrow express was running for free though. not a bad effort.

it snows sometimes and planes cant fly. a few spastic crybabies who cannot be magically transported anywhere they want to go at any time they choose, is not the end of the world.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
when you see the news, why even bother?

Well, yes, I must say I wouldn't bother, but I guess people have different reasons. If it was just not wanting to lose the money, then I personally don't understand it - but if you don't have the money to lose, and it's your only hoiliday of the year, then maybe. But there were people going off to get married, going home for xmas etc.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
One of the issues that is not really addressed. is that this is not the entire fault of BAA. People are shown sleeping on the floors...well YES, its an airport, its not a hotel. If the planes are stuck in Pisa for example, its no good getting all abusive to the girl on the desk at Heathrow is it? This person was saying that there was no staff on duty...Yes, they were stuck in the jams trying to get to the airport how is that BAA's fault?

The problem is the BAA blame the airlines and the Airlines blame BAA.

Gatwick was a great example....BAA cleared the runway, the planes were being made ready and they ran out of de-icer for the planes....which were stuck on tankers in the snow somewhere outside Birmingham.....so how is that BAA's fault?

Some bloke on 5 Live this morning came on and said , "......why are we all getting so worried about this, its only a bunch of toffs trying to go on holiday whilst the rest of us are cutting back...."

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
But there were people going off to get married, going home for xmas etc.

so what. should they just take a chance so some spoilt dullard can get married on a beach in st lucia only to get divorced 10 years later.

all this oh its only britain rubbish is a load of shit too. schiphol is in chaos and that has more runways. still lets not let that get in the way of a good old british winge and bitch.

its the dickhead punters still turning up at the airport thats causing chaos. telling people not to come has been totally selfishly ignored as people hyperventilate with panic, thus causing more chaos. spirit of the blitz my f***ing cock. this country is an embarassment sometimes and its joe public rather than BAA or whoever they want to blame today.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
so what. should they just take a chance so some spoilt dullard can get married on a beach in st lucia only to get divorced 10 years later.

all this oh its only britain rubbish is a load of shit too. schiphol is in chaos and that has more runways. still lets not let that get in the way of a good old british winge and bitch.

its the dickhead punters still turning up at the airport thats causing chaos. telling people not to come has been totally selfishly ignored as people hyperventilate with panic, thus causing more chaos. spirit of the blitz my f***ing cock. this country is an embarassment sometimes and its joe public rather than BAA or whoever they want to blame today.
'tis the season to be jolly lalalalala!!!

beardosh

Insert witty comment here
Dec 14, 2009
Airport.jpg

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
'tis the season to be jolly lalalalala!!!

hahaha. unless you are on a drip and need a heart like the girl off airplane its not the end of the world.

aw poor people wont get to see auntie joan in moonee ponds on the magical day and so will go ABSOLUTELY f***ing GARRITY at the first person the can find.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

seriously how many flights and transfers does oslo handle compared to heathrow. this sort of unthinking rubbish makes me despair of the british people far more than not having enough snowploughs.

when i was in oslo in febrary and it was minus f***ing 20 they were all moaning like f*** as none of the trains were working. just like home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here