Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How popular would it be if Aston Villa were our first opponents at Falmer?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Quite. Funny how some of us seem to have forgotten how Villa (under Gregory) tried to absolutely fleece this club when it was on it's knees in 1998.

So as far as I'm concerned, I'm glad 6,400 of us had a great day out (featuring some patronising 'you were a credit' bollocks from some of their admittedly very friendly fans on here), but as far as I'm concerned, this Villa love-in is becoming almost as nausiating as the WREXHAM one a few years ago. :nono:

We hadn't played them for 27 years before last week, and no-one here had really missed them.

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Why Villa?

Why do we need a big opening game, just have a fans day when it officially opens with a legends game with a firework display from the withdean Firework man :lolol:

....that is all that is needed!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If we're going to invite a team based on an opponent in a cup final surely it should be the most recent cup final we've been in ??? not something at the beginning of the last centruy ?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I agree with Simster too. Also, I'm quite happy with Man City as our first game.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Seems that there are plenty of people who have got excited over one glamour cup tie that we lost!!! It was a great day out but let's move on.

Having said that, let's not forget it is not impossible that we won't be playing Villa as the first League game at Falmer. Improbable but not impossible.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We don't want to start with a defeat !

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd like us to play Doncaster in the first game, personally.

I was thinking about this last night. Perhaps the ramp up event could be a game between the actual brighton and doncaster teams from the last game at the goldstone, like a legends match.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There is a lot of sentimental views on here but lets not forget that the aim is to fill the place so talk of Doncaster et al is ludicrous. We need to entice many people who haven't been before or who havent' been for many years and that means getting in teams they see on the box. Even for ramp up events.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Must we slobber all over EVERY premiership team we encounter ? Christ, its like we're some kind of desperate clingy girlfriend just after another date.

"Ooh Villa, you're so big and powerful. We had a lovely time didn't we ? Want to come to my place later ?"

:rolleyes:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Even for ramp up events.

Aren't ramp up events meant to not have huge crowds? Aren't they like dry runs with less than half capacity crowds? Since if there is a failing of the infrastructure in place the fall out isn't as bad, and allows you to prepare to deal with a huge crowd.

The ramp up events to Wembley weren't for mass consumption, were they?

The term 'ramp up' would indicate a gradual incline instead of a sudden step.

Oct 25, 2003
doncaster, as nice as it would be, would not attract a big crowd unfortunately

palace would be AWFUL cos they might (probably would) win and we'd NEVER live it down

it's gonna be man city anyway isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here