Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How on earth can we be losing £8 million a year?

D

Deleted member 18477

Don't we lose a shit load on travel expenses? The club effectively pay for most of our travel to and from the stadium.

£30 for travel is a bargain for us... But not for the club!

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Don't we lose a shit load on travel expenses? The club effectively pay for most of our travel to and from the stadium.

That's a gonner next season. Energy costs regarding trains/buses and the stadium I am afraid is something that is going to bite and it won't be the club footing any of it anymore

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

The club pay half of it, why its been suggested on here that next season we may have to pay for it entirely, an extra £3 a month basically.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The hard question needs to be asked: should the club pay for our travel at all? The Odeon doesn't pay your travel costs to the cinema.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
The answer would appear to be that that club has been very badly/loosely run since the move to the Amex. We are expected to pay for this incompetence through increased season ticket prices, food, drink and programme price hikes and having an even more uncompetitive playing budget.

D

Deleted member 18477

The hard question needs to be asked: should the club pay for our travel at all? The Odeon doesn't pay your travel costs to the cinema.

No they shouldn't. Do any other clubs get travel paid? Brighton have always done this though.. Even at Withdean. Bit of a weird one really.

IMO they should have scrapped it this season and not put ST's up by £30.

How would you pay for P&R as well? Would you just buy a bus ticket as you got on like a normal bus? Does anyone know what other clubs do?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
They pay the travel to encourage more people to use public transport to get to the ground. It was part of the planning permission at Withdean and I'm pretty sure it was at the amex as well.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Because from Monday to Friday nothing happens at the stadium.
Not true, there are often events happening. One of the ways to increase income is to make more stuff happen on non-match days

£8 million compared to most clubs is like a drop in the ocean really.
Look at Man Utd debts Liverpools etc .
Then closer to home like the slags from Croydon probably 3 times as much as ours !!!
As you get higher up the debts will rise considerably !!!!!
I wouldnt worry too much

And that is the awful truth and why football is in the shit. FFP can't come soon enough.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Operating Costs

Mr Barber seemed to suggest it was pure operating loss when I spoke to him yesterday

Operating profit would not include any capital costs such as new/additional seats and other building works as these are capital costs, but it would include the selling and buying of players. Was close to a director at the Withdean who when he took office was astounded that the players wages were in excess of 90% of the clubs income. The major part of the loss would come from wages and purchases of players. All the catering is franchised out so that is not a cost for the club. I am sure TB has a handle on it or his team do, however football does do strange things to those with money. What I would say is that the experience at the Amex is just fantastic and for that every Brighton supporter should be grateful to Mr. Bloom.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
As has been said it won't be the expansion costs as they will be capitalised over many years. I'm wondering what the admin and other staff costs are? I suspect we've got a much bigger staff than most clubs, if so that will be some of it. Travel costs too but I think the club need to consider how they tackle it ... putting up for everyone when many don't use at all would seem harsh

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

No it doesn't, but you can choose you method an route to get there, you are not banned from using your car, from parking within 20 miles

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
They just said on the radio that pre premiership tickets cost £4 - if you allowed for inflation they would now be £8

The cost of television deals means that someone buys your sport for an enormous amount of money gives it to the people that run and play the game who then charge you loads more to watch the same game now played by rich stars and personalities.
The cost of watching football live has gone up 700%

That was the only way to get people to pay to watch football on tv because otherwise it would be free. To charge you £30 a month to watch tv football you need a £50 live match ticket to justify it!

We are mugs to allow this to happen

You can have 50k crowds and sell them all pies and a beer but its the tv money that pays the massive wages the stars demand

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I must admit I wasnt surprsied we lost money, but I was astounded at the amount.

If our average 1st 11 are on £10k a week then thats around £5.7m. Add another £2.8m on the rest of the squad then that takes you to around £8.5m. Then have 24,000 season ticket holders paying on average £350 then thats £8.4m. So the two basically net each other off.

I havent factored in stadium running costs, but surely we make a profit on food and drink and then there is advertising revenues etc.

Now I maybe out on wage costs, but £8m out? I'm hoping this loss is mainly due to exceptional one off costs. Cos if we cant at least break even with record crowds in these good times, then I really do worry if we go to say 20,000 to 18,000 punters.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I appreciate the sentiment, but for those of us who remember playing our home games 75 miles away, and 17 clubs voting to expel us from the FL- it's hard not to worry.

Do you have that list to hand..... I had forgotten who they were.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Was close to a director at the Withdean who when he took office was astounded that the players wages were in excess of 90% of the clubs income. The major part of the loss would come from wages and purchases of players.

Agreed. Experts say wages should be 55-60% of income. However, everything we've been told before is that our wages are lower than most Championship clubs. How often do we hear we can't match wages being offered by other clubs (e.g. Murray offered 40% more by Palace than by us, Bennett getting 4 times as much).

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I must admit I wasnt surprsied we lost money, but I was astounded at the amount.

If our average 1st 11 are on £10k a week then thats around £5.7m. Add another £2.8m on the rest of the squad then that takes you to around £8.5m. Then have 24,000 season ticket holders paying on average £350 then thats £8.4m. So the two basically net each other off.

I havent factored in stadium running costs, but surely we make a profit on food and drink and then there is advertising revenues etc.

Now I maybe out on wage costs, but £8m out? I'm hoping this loss is mainly due to exceptional one off costs. Cos if we cant at least break even with record crowds in these good times, then I really do worry if we go to say 20,000 to 18,000 punters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here