Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How old were you when the 911 happened?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Can't be bothered to work it out, but I was walking out the building when I saw it on the TV in reception.

Rushed back upstairs to this bloke I was working with and he thought for a minute and simply said "Bin Laden".

May not mean much now, but if you remember it was a few hours before the suspects started coming out. I seem to remember "eco terrorists" were the first.

He spoke fluent Russian and read on a Russian news website a few weeks before that the Russian Secret Service were strongly suspecting an attack on USA mainland.

It wasn't really picked up the media over here, but I think the Times had a few lines on it.

My strongest memory of that day was having to get the bus home over Vauxhall Bridge and seeing loads of armed police outside the M16 building, seemingly looking up to the skies.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He spoke fluent Russian and read on a Russian news website a few weeks before that the Russian Secret Service were strongly suspecting an attack on USA mainland.

I read that as well that Bush had been advised by Russia they had intelligence suggesting a major terrorist attack on USA.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
39, working where I work now.

Saw the TV, and just sat there watching for the next hour or so, stunned.

The day the world changed.

How I went to watch BHA that night i don't know - I guess we all didn't take in the enonomity of it all.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well I guess I was 36 as it was 8 years ago today. I'd thrown a sicky that day (can't remember why), and ended up watching the whole thing unfold on the telly box. I don't think I will ever forget the images I saw that day.

I remember going to The Nelson for a pre-match pint, which all seemed a bit odd considering the days events. Don't remember anything about the game - not even 100% certain who we played, was it Southampton? Couldn't even begin to try and recall the score or anything.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I read that as well that Bush had been advised by Russia they had intelligence suggesting a major terrorist attack on USA.

Not forgeting the Germans and many others (including us I belive) who warned them of a terroest attack of some sort.

I was 20 and I still cant quite belive it happenend.

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
I for one will never forget 9/11. As years go by it becomes a regular question...........

Where were you the night Dean Richards had Bobby Zamora in his pocket ?

Frank Inkerman

Veteran of the Crimea
I am the oldest so far although I notice that LB declined to mention his age.
As per Uncle Speilberg I remember the totally unreal atmosphere around Withdean for the Southampton game. Mrs I and myself got down to Brighton far earlier than normal for an evening game as we had both left work completely non plussed and just sat in the Sportsman with no appetite - for food or drink - at all.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
It was my second day at teacher training college at the Bognor campus of the University of Chichester. Was never told or heard about it whilst at college and got an inkling that something had happened at Bognor station on the way home as two people were having different conversations on mobiles about planes crashing and thought little of it. An hour later I pulled into Hove station and dropped into the small Tesco nearby where I picked up an Argus to read about any team news and discovered what had actually happened, from which point I dashed home and turned on the news around 4.30 to catch up on what had been missed. And as others had pointed out the football that night was very muted.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I was 15, and spent most of the afternoon watching events on the TV instead of doing the history homework I had in for the following day.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was 38, at work in Crawley. watched it unfold in the TV in the pub.
Went home and just hugged my family in silence.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
I was 11 and just in my second week at Secondary school.

I worked out that if the UK and the US both had the same time, then I would have been in Religious Studies :ohmy:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
30 feckin 2 , aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh and in bed with a hangover watching it unfold, then went down to Camden where i saw some builders beat up a random asain guy who walked into the pub, that had the tv on. Very strange and sad day.
R.I.P

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I was 14 and had come home early from school because I wasnt feeling very well. I put MTV on and along the bottom of the screen was a red news flash banner telling everyone to go to sky news. Turned over the sky news and was really confused by what I was seeing and then saw the second plane crash into the building - something I will never forget.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
The World surely changed that day more so than any single event in the history of Mankind and to a large extent we are still reeling from it now 8 years leter.

I think that is utter rubbish. However sad it was , was it really a more momentous occasion than the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand or Hiltlers invasion of Poland, or the dropping of the first nuclear bomb, or the fall of the Berlin Wall?

Anya
way, I was at work and i remember everyone trying to get onto news sites on the internet. Funnily enough one of the best places for information was nsc, as most websites were overwhelmed by the volume of hits they were receiving.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
42 - was on a staff training day held at the Oval Cricket ground which none of us wanted to be at. Rumours started mid morning, lunchtime the head honcho present got us all together and gave a good summary of what was known so far and possible implications (he was a prat but you had to admire him for the way he dealt with the situation).

Needless to say the afternoon was somewhat sober, never forget standing with several colleagues watching dumbstruck at the news that was appearing on the little TV screen in the security mans booth at the entrance, and also a very subdued journey home on a coach with TV.
pass the name of the person who started the rumours mid morning on to mi5 as the first plane didn't fly into the building until gone 2 o clock.

I was working at Gatwick working in the South Terminal having started a new job a week earlier.

Will never forget someone saying a light aircraft had flown in the WTC and thinking what a stupid pilot - how did he do that??

Gradually more news came in and we turned on the telly to watch events unfold and being in aviation it was pretty surreal.

I will never forget the aircraft which had departed around lunchtime for the States all land back again later in the afternoon.

Sadly lost my new job as a result of the after effects a few weeks later but much worse things happened that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here