Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How old were you when the 911 happened?

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex
I was 4, all I remember was seeing was a image of smoke coming out of a huge tower on the box. Obviously have more knowledge of the attacks now.

rip

Last edited:

I was 4, all I remember was seeing was a image of smoke coming out of a huge tower. Obviously have more knowledge of the attacks now.

rip

42 - was on a staff training day held at the Oval Cricket ground which none of us wanted to be at. Rumours started mid morning, lunchtime the head honcho present got us all together and gave a good summary of what was known so far and possible implications (he was a prat but you had to admire him for the way he dealt with the situation).

Needless to say the afternoon was somewhat sober, never forget standing with several colleagues watching dumbstruck at the news that was appearing on the little TV screen in the security mans booth at the entrance, and also a very subdued journey home on a coach with TV.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
14. Someone wacked a hockey stick at my ankles during P.E, and I ended up with blood pouring out of my knees as I landed on them. Went to the First Aid room to get it patched up and they were watching the news just before the 2nd plane hit. Still have scars from that to this day!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
41 , I was watching the news on BBC News 24 and couldn't believe it , it was like seeing a disaster movie. My manager called me into work early as I was on the emergency callout list and the International Directory Bureaux were inundated with calls. All the operators never bothered taking their meal breaks and we drank tea/coffee and ate biscuits/sandwiches at our workstations.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I was 36, had just returned to the Netherlands after a month travelling, during which time my old boss had gone back to live in Belgium...I had the day off but popped into the office to chew the cud with my new boss, who had just been promoted, as I walked in the door he told me that there had just been a news report of a small plane hitting the World Trade Centre...we went over to the crew room for a coffee, where all the staff had gathered round the tv, at the precise point the second plane went in...the whole room just stood in silence, we knew that something serious had happened and life would never be the same again.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
14, I was in History at the time and the headteacher came into our block and called all the teachers into the hallway to tell them, and to not tell us. My history teacher broke down in tears shortly after returning to the classroom and at that point, we all knew to stop asking what was going on! It was my second to last lesson that day, English after it was a mere formality, we just watched a video. That teacher wasn't up to anything else at that point. I had no idea the extent of the tragedy until a few years ago, that's the first time I really could appreciate what exactly had happened.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
39. I went to the BHAFC V Southampton league cup match in the evening when we were in the 3rd division and Southampton were in the Premiership. I was pumped up all week about the game and on the night it was a complete and utter irrelevance knowing what had happended that day and I did not want to be there.

The World surely changed that day more so than any single event in the history of Mankind and to a large extent we are still reeling from it now 8 years leter.

I spent the afternoon in the bar that I had frequented when I lived in Italy in the 1970s. There was a party of American tourists in there (from NYC) trying to make sense of the pictures on Italian TV. I was translating for them and having the same problem as they were - because, whilst the pictures and the reports were clear, the sense of what was really happening wasn't.

Meanwhile, my thoughts were mainly focusing on what my son, the teaboy, and his girlfriend might be up to - since they were staying in Lower Manhattan at the time. Fortunately, it turned out that Dan and Paula had had a late night out the previous night and they managed to sleep through the whole event that was taking place just half a mile away.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Age is irrelevant, I was on a conference call to some colleages in 5 World Trade....we didin't know why the call was cut short, but walking back through the dealing room we rather quickly realized why....

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
14 as well we were just about to watch Romeo and Juliet in english class lol and we had just put the tv on to watch the film it was all over the news, then when i went home i saw that a second plane had flown in and then they imploaded

Donk the Seagull

Registered Legend
Jul 26, 2004
I was 12, i remember walking into the house after school not knowing anything had happened and finding my mum in the kitchen eyes glued to the tv watching the news. Scared the crap out of me when i saw the planes hit tbh

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
I was 31. Where I was working I used to have the radio on in the background. I heard something on the news but was not paying attention as i was about to be given a lift home. When i got in I said to my wife Something about there has been a wall street crash. She then told me the beginning of what had happened. I sat in front of the tv as the 2nd plane hit. For the rest of the afternoon I just watched in horror and found myself not being able to talk.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I was 13 - at school and found out from my friend simon - we thought he was having a luagh so took the mick out of him until an old lady told us how disgusting we were - we then realised it was true.

A couple of years later on 7/7 I was in an English class studying different articles from 9/11 and talking about how we found out. I mentined simon - went to walk to the common room and up he ran telling me of the attacks on london - which sparked mass panic as most of our friends were working there or had family there.

I now always associated him with those terrible days

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
37 and was in the office that I am still in now in Kings Cross however we move to Warren Street in around 6 weeks.

Strange day as the internet was relatively new so with everyone logging on it crashed. There was sketchy news coming through and when I went home via London Bridge they had told all the Canary Wharf people to go home early as well.

I bought the Standard and it then become very clear what had happened and just watched the News all night.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
14, found out after it all happened cause my school decided not to tell anyone at all and I think it happened after lunch time when everyone would go down to the town centre.

One thing I remember is getting, and keeping, a copy of most of the 12th's newspapers for my then unborn nephew (being -7 weeks at the time).

Last edited:

10, can remember coming home from school and seeing it on tv having not heard anything about it previously, however i did not understand fully at the time, with my dad telling me to be quite constantly at the dinner table as he was glued to the tv. Can also remember our headmaster explaining it to us in assembly sometime within the days after

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here