Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how old is too old to ask a player for an autograph

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
i stayed after the game sunday as my lads were dying for gus and the lads autograph ,they went and got it and all that but i noticed a few middled aged men asking as well . now im not one for all that , but what is nsc view on the matter

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Primary school age. Anything older than that is a bit odd unless you're doing it for your kids or you're a collector.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I have a signed home shirt on my wall. :shrug: I would not think twice about getting autographs on the new shirt

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I got my photo with Adam El Abd and Gordon Greer at Walsall... I am 26!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
CMS was happy to pose with anybody on Sunday. Had to check myself and stop from running over for a photo and an autograph. Remembered my age just in time. :down:

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
The answer is 15 and when you're also taller than the player.

That's how old I was when I asked Dean Saunders for his autograph and whilst he was signing it, and I was looking down on him, I decided that maybe I was too old. Last autograph I ever asked for.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The answer is 15 and when you're also taller than the player.

I would suggest that is a reasonable guide, though I might suggest a little younger on the age at 12...but on the height, it would mean that the likes of Tiny Cox and Leon Knight only being asked for their autograph by toddlers!!!

I am well into my 40's and think it would be a bit strange to ask for an autograph from a player young enough to be my son...but perfectly acceptable to have my picture taken with a legend like Peter Ward, Gary Hart, Bobby Z or Gus Poyet!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Each to their own, but I don't see the point of autographs - they ruin perfectly good shirts, footballs and photos.

Big signing are OK, though.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Well sorry to be a saddo but I did get CMS to sign my programme on Sunday, and a photgraph. As a near pensioner, my grandsons who live a long way away, will be thrilled.

Promise I won't do it again.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Well sorry to be a saddo but I did get CMS to sign my programme on Sunday, and a photgraph. As a near pensioner, my grandsons who live a long way away, will be thrilled.

Promise I won't do it again.
You do it if you want too,I'm 72 and ask for autographs,don't care what anybody thinks because I have a large collection of signed photo s going back to the 50s and I collect them for my disabled daughter who was once mascot in 2004,photographed with Danny Cullip,her grin lasted all day. I once met Bobby Smith and forgot to ask for his autograph,regretted it for ages (although got it later).

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I got Peter Osgood's in 1994 and acted like a schoolkid because he is my footballing hero, I would have been .... hmmmm errrr oh dear... 30.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I got some of the Manchester City team when they lost at Barnet in 1995 (I was seventeen at the time). Niall Quinn, Paul Walsh, Nicky Summerbee and Steve McMahon signed my programme.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I used to hang about outside the entrance to the ... what was it in the west stand? Shop? Ticket booth? not really sure... but I digress, I used to hang about outside there as a 12, 13, 14, 15 year old for when they all came out a few hours after a game, a bit worse for wear but being a kid I had no idea. I saw all our legends week in and week out coming through that door, Lawro (never played for us really), Knobby, Sully, Wardy, Spider, Stevens a little later on but still part of the Mullers squad I believe, Maybank, The Tank, Towner the wing wizard, Pottsy the ginge, Eric Steele, Mullers himself. I once nicked a big cigar off my dad and took it to a game when I was around 14 and presented it to Sully after the game, cos he was always smoking them ... it was a bit worse for wear but he thanked me anyway. They also did for two years a christmas party at the Old Forge at East preston and obviously we found out, living in the village and all that, knobby on one occassion asked us if we wanted cake outside the window, we wanted cos we were sweet toothed kids, he had it on this wooden knife type thing so just splattered us with it, literally chucking it at us. I remember asking the Tank Clarkey in the bar for Maybanks autograph, when he said he wasn't there, I said I know I want you to do it ... got a few laughs from the pissheads. I remember a 17 year old Gary Stevens taking one of our bikes to go for a ride up the road, he was so pissed he had no idea where he was... good days... sorry for going on!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sorry what I should have said is I got all their autographs, some more often than others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here