Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How offensive is the word 'pikey'?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Formula One commentator Martin Brundle is being investigated by media watchdog Ofcom after using the term "pikeys" in a television broadcast. But where does the word come from and how offensive is it?

It's a word very rarely heard on television.

In an interview with Bernie Ecclestone before Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, Brundle referred to repairs being made to the track.

"There are some pikeys out there putting down new tarmac at Turn 10. Are they out of the way yet?"

Ofcom said it had received seven complaints and ITV apologised to viewers.

Personally I thought it was really funny - it's not as if he said "Gippo's" !!!!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
To some it's very offensive.
To others it's a frequently used phrase that they don't think twice about using... a bit like the older generation's use of the word w*g... and that's not wag, weg, wig, wug or wyg before you jokers start! :jester:

I tend to say 'travellers' - but that can also be wrong!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its s funny turn of phrase as it doesnt apply to any group in particular. it is intended to imply a cetain group but is widley used towards any one you wish to offend in a manner utterly unrelated.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
pikey sounds better than being politically correct and saying " a resident of Gillingham" :laugh:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I suppose it could be offensive, just depends on the context as in

"There are some f***ing pikeys out there nicking the tarmac off turn 10. Why don't they just f*** off?"

The thing that got me about this story was the fact that the complainants were too stupid to have realised that Ofcom are going to be sending the TV licence police straight round to their caravan.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
its s funny turn of phrase as it doesnt apply to any group in particular. it is intended to imply a cetain group but is widley used towards any one you wish to offend in a manner utterly unrelated.

That clears that up then. :lolol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I suppose it could be offensive, just depends on the context as in

The thing that got me about this story was the fact that the complainants were too stupid to have realised that Ofcom are going to be sending the TV licence police straight round to their caravan.
Cant be done as it contravenes their human rights.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
NO WORD CAN BE OFFENSIVE unless any small minded person takes it that way.

I have been called most names under the sun due to my looks religion etc

So what though IT'S JUST A WORD a string of letters put togrther to insult or shock

I would never let words affect me ever

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Formula One commentator Martin Brundle is being investigated by media watchdog Ofcom after using the term "pikeys" in a television broadcast. But where does the word come from and how offensive is it?

It's a word very rarely heard on television.

In an interview with Bernie Ecclestone before Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, Brundle referred to repairs being made to the track.

"There are some pikeys out there putting down new tarmac at Turn 10. Are they out of the way yet?"

Ofcom said it had received seven complaints and ITV apologised to viewers.

Personally I thought it was really funny - it's not as if he said "Gippo's" !!!!

SEVEN f***ing complaints, absolutely pathetic. Reminds me of the Family Guy episode where the FCC censor everything because 20 complaints means 20million (or something like that dont remember exactly)

f*** OFF OFCOM!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
NO WORD CAN BE OFFENSIVE unless any small minded person takes it that way.

I have been called most names under the sun due to my looks religion etc

So what though IT'S JUST A WORD a string of letters put togrther to insult or shock

I would never let words affect me ever

Thats good you cretinous toady.

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
Gillingham song:

We can't read
We can't write
We wear gold and Nikes
We all come from Gillingham
And we are f***ing Pikeys

They don't mind calling themselves Pikeys.
And I'm quite happy to call them Pikeys too

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You cannot say pikey but you can say gypsy.
But if you say gyppo then that becomes rude.

Did you know Romanies originally came from India.
Completely useless information that.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I get upset if people call me names.

Simster called me a racist twunt once and that upset me.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My dad used to say something that sounded something like 'diddy coy'. Where the hell did that come from?!!

diddycoy

Originally a Romani term of respect (dadika) for an older person, this has come to mean (in UK English) a Gypsy or traveller who is not of pure blood. The insult is therefore compounded, not only does this person have the negative qualities that prejudice has associated with travellers, but they are also of suspect descent, doubly damned.
they're not even proper gyppos, they're f***ing diddikois

good old Wiki

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here