Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much would you care if Pompey went bust?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have seen some really harsh words about our struggling near neighbours and I get the impression that quite a few on here wouldn't be at all bothered if they went to the wall.

Given our probable near miss with bankruptcy and the lack of support from the FA the situations are somewhat different but having been to the brink ourselves should we not be a bit more sympathetic to Pompey fans ( hard as that might seem)?

Err I was meaning to post a poll but seem to have screwed up :rolleyes:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Nope! The fans don't deserve it but the club need a bloody good kick up the arse IMO!

Sent from my iPhone using P+ R

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
Feel sorry for the supporters, but it has been run in a bad way by bad owners. On late kick off they were talking about a Plan B i.e club folds and start a new team, maybe this is the answer, the club can be run by the fans.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
How much would you care if Pompey went bust?

Not much.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It would be a lamentable sign of the ills of football, caused by people running clubs badly or mendaciously, the fault neither of the game, the fans, nor the club itself, as an entity. So I'd care - the loss of any club is a bad thing for football and a very bad thing for its community.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Wouldn't want to see them go bust. They have a fantastic history and a strong fan base who have been consistently let down by a series of well dodgy owners over the last few years. The FA have to take some responsibility for Pompey's plight - their "due dilligence" on potential owners is clearly a crock of shit. All I can say is thank god for Dick Knight holding us steady for the dark years and for Tony Bloom stepping in when the time was right. We have been very fortunate and should never forget the enormous debt of gratitude we owe to Dick and Tony.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
They just keep spending money which they don't have, whilst other clubs run a tight ship for there troubles play their football in the lower leagues. If Portsmouth can't afford to play in the championship then they need to drop down the leagues, play by the rules!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Wouldn't want to see them go bust. They have a fantastic history and a strong fan base who have been consistently let down by a series of well dodgy owners over the last few years. The FA have to take some responsibility for Pompey's plight - their "due dilligence" on potential owners is clearly a crock of shit. All I can say is thank god for Dick Knight holding us steady for the dark years and for Tony Bloom stepping in when the time was right. We have been very fortunate and should never forget the enormous debt of gratitude we owe to Dick and Tony.

Clubs like Pompey were clutching at straws when they got their dodgy owners, nobody else would entertain them, ask Chester and Darlington, they know this too well.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I don't think they will go bust however as my fiance and all her family are pompey fans hehe would be funny :D

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Based on responses to recent events (see the other thread on Pompey) the fans (the vociferous ones at least) are as culpable as the owners and the club management in condoning/encouraging the non-payment of taxes. Afraid they can do one for me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Think it'll probably be the best thing for the fans if they start again with a clean slate, actually.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
They just keep spending money which they don't have, whilst other clubs run a tight ship for there troubles play their football in the lower leagues. If Portsmouth can't afford to play in the championship then they need to drop down the leagues, play by the rules!

Exactly. They signed Liam Lawrence and Dave Kitson when they still had massive debts - and their supporters look the other way. They won't go bust, of course. But if ever a club deserved to ...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Based on responses to recent events (see the other thread on Pompey) the fans (the vociferous ones at least) are as culpable as the owners and the club management in condoning/encouraging the non-payment of taxes. Afraid they can do one for me.

Sums up my feelings too-especially the taxes bit.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
f*** 'em. An their one-eyed fans.

The fans haven't even made any sort of real effort to save them either have they?

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Sorry but this is just a reflection of todays world, people living beyond their means and owing money they can't pay back. Football club should not be anymore different than anyone else, pay your taxes and debts, it's time the F/L or the Goverment took action. In Portsmouth's case they've had 1 chance too many.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I don't want to see any club go out of business. However, it wouldn't be a bad thing if they went down to League Two and had to slowly rebuild

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here