Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much was a pint when you could first drink?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Buckingham Arms, Worthing.....about 35p....1978 or 9

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Six and a half d (not p) for half of mild in the King and Queen in the latter half of the sixties. How did we manage to make it last all night?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
1s4d (7p in the new fangled currency) for a pint of Tamplin's Sussex Bitter at the arse end of the sixties... .. having said which, the arse end is where it tasted like it came from - used to buy a half in a pint glass and a pint bottle of Forest Brown for a penny less and make it last and last. :lolol:

Happy days.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
One of the best deals in town around 86/87 was down the Fortune of War (is it still there ?) Kings Arches. £1 a pint certain nights and buy one get one free, good value to a teenager ;-)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Think we paid about 1.60 for pint of Lowenbrau in The Red Cross, Reigate circa '94.

For those who knew Reigate then evening was as follows:

Smoke a joint in the Priory, up to the Desert Rat for £1 of XXXX and a game of one armed pool. There was a guy in there with one arm and he insisted we all played him using only one arm.

Onto The Castle for snakebite and black at 1.20 a pint.

Calm down in The Old Market with a half Guiness for 70 pence

Then onto the Red Cross to get hammered on Lowenbrau. Didn't take much in those days.

Probably cost me £20 all in including Kebab and the cab ride home with the cab company that charged a quid a mile.

Heady days.

Last edited:

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
Not my 1st pint but I do remember a pint of Courage Best was 17
& half pence and 20 No. 6 was 17 pence in the early 70's, the last
time a packet of fags were cheaper than a pint!

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
In my local it was £2.12 for a Fosters, which has now risen to £3.35, and the "high-end" lager (Kronenbourg back then) was £2.66, which is now £3.94 for an Estrella Damm.

So, about a £1.25 rise for me in 10 odd years. Oh how I long for the days of getting wasted for a tenner.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
One of the best deals in town around 86/87 was down the Fortune of War (is it still there ?) Kings Arches. £1 a pint certain nights and buy one get one free, good value to a teenager ;-)

Yeah still there and drink there occasionally, lovely to be so close to the sea even in the winter.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
32p in The Ship on the Lewes Road, just before Coombe Road.
It's now a place for religious studies I believe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here