Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much personal debt do you have?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
A topical thread, prompted by the fact that people in the UK now have twice as much personal debt per head as in other west European countries - how much debt do YOU have, secured (i.e. with a mortgage) and unsecured, (everything else - loans, credit cards, overdrafts etc etc). The average British resident has £3,175 - not sure if that figure includes mortgages or not.

I have none unsecured and half of a £100,000 mortage. Could be worse.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Man of Harveys said:
A topical thread, prompted by the fact that people in the UK now have twice as much personal debt per head as in other west European countries - how much debt do YOU have, secured (i.e. with a mortgage) and unsecured, (everything else - loans, credit cards, overdrafts etc etc). The average British resident has £3,175 - not sure if that figure includes mortgages or not.

I have none unsecured and half of a £100,000 mortage. Could be worse.

I have exactly the same as you. The figure you quote is definately for unsecured debt.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The average figure did not include a mortgage.

I have £0 and £0. (Not strictly true as there'll be some money I owe a credit card company, but as I clear the balance every month, I do not consider the intra-month position as debt)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Re: Re: How much personal debt do you have?

hans kraay fan club said:
I have exactly the same as you.
You're not...my GIRLFRIEND are you? :ohmy:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
£10,000 student loan and about to take out £6,000 professional loan to get me through my course. Not a mortgage in sight yet

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I can't remember how much is on my student loan. It comes out of my salary, though, so I don't tend to think about it. It must be about the £7,000 mark.

Then about £2,000 on a credit card. And a £2000 loan which I used for my car, but should be paid off in the next few months.

And a mortgage for £68K. Which of course, doesn't count.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
C'mon - there must be higher out there...who's really in the shit? :flameboun

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
just trying to move house and double mortgage - would clear unsecured debts in the process and make that figure a nice zero for the first time for 20 years

we've gone for the clever interest only mortgage option where you never have to pay back the capital...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here