Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

how much longer does McGhee retain your backing?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
It's frustrating for all not getting a draw/win today but i think the fact we are so gutted shows that we are improving, we may not have a great amount of points and points do keep us in the league but if you think how well weve played today weve just gotta try and keep the momentum going and that isnt gonna happen with everyone slagging mc ghee/team off. He has made some debatable signings but we have no money and i doubt he would purposely waste the little money he has been given. I think we need to keep the faith in him even if we go down. (i dont think we will though):)

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
If you include the coca cola money and Argie money etc is our budget really that bad?.Is it worse than Crewe's?.I am not convinced it is that bad.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
I dont think McGee is doing a bad job at your place i mean lets be fair his hands are tied transfer wise and the wages budget must be pretty low so i think its time to judge when your stadium is built (if he is still manager), and when he can wheel and deal with some proper backing

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BRIGHT ON Q said:
If you include the coca cola money and Argie money etc is our budget really that bad?.Is it worse than Crewe's?.I am not convinced it is that bad.
Sake, how many more times? The Coca-Cola money was a windfall, and not part of the budget. So the answer is YES, our playing budget is bad. Very bad.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
tommy boy said:
taylor- one place above us? with a lot more money to spend

adams- coventry two places above us, more money to spend

coppell- a LOT more money to spend(convey cost more than our whole squad, let alone Lita), and is getting it right, but how well would he do on our budget

mcghee is a good manager, and i will give him my backing until he leaves

This is a VERY good post and I entirely agree.

Furthermore it is great to see that everyone seems delighted with the contributions of Carole and Frutos so far this season. Surely McGhee's got something right in picking up these two? Clearly our most creative players in the absence of Carpenter, and long may it continue.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
BRIGHT ON Q said:

Well seeing as weve spent 100k on zamora then 50k up front for leon then another 100k for el turi over the space of what 5 seasons? 250k over 5 seasons for 3 strikers isnt that bad in my books looking at where weve got with them. EDIT: i know we havent got anywhere with el turi :lolol:

Last edited:

Bruce Lee Wannabe

Nov 10, 2004
Brighton
Anyone that slags off McGhee's signings need sto watch o Carole, Fruity and McShane closer. With no money, unproven's are always gonna be hit or miss. That's why they don't cost millions. To be fair if we hadn't won the coke money we would have had even less then last season to spend i think. McGhee is doing fine. Keeping the faith. And 6 pts by this time next week!

1066gull

If we are suck with the Millwall after Christmas, than maybe that is time.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bruce Lee Wannabe said:
McGhee more than has my backing he has my total faith. We lost the game today because of two momentary lapses in defence, and at this level you will get punished for it.

I don't understand how people can want another manager. Do they expect that with another manager we will suddenly be able to sign million pound players? We played tremendously today and I could not imagine any other manager from any league getting the current squad of players to play better football then we are at the moment.

We looked good today and was one of the closest games of football have ever seen. Either team could have won and unfortunately it was the scum decause Iain Dowie must've been f***ing the ref or something.

On seagulls.co.uk 'we will not take the negatives into tuesdays game but the positives'. I think that sums up McGhee's approach and he really does bring a positive element to the team. Look at the performance he got out of Knight today. Sheer class. He is one of the best managers we have had at this club and want to see him lead us to Falmer and beyond.

Totally agree and saved me typing it all out.
:clap:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
McGhee stays.

Should clear away some fringe players (McCammon prime eg).

I'm sure he'd like a few bob to spend,and he probably knows who he'd like to buy ( sign ).

Today we played some neat football again,but neat losing football.

I have little faith in ANY of the fringe strikers we have.

Hint: start there.

Zed Seagull

Bruce Lee Wannabe said:
McGhee more than has my backing he has my total faith. We lost the game today because of two momentary lapses in defence, and at this level you will get punished for it.

I don't understand how people can want another manager. Do they expect that with another manager we will suddenly be able to sign million pound players? We played tremendously today and I could not imagine any other manager from any league getting the current squad of players to play better football then we are at the moment.

We looked good today and was one of the closest games of football have ever seen. Either team could have won and unfortunately it was the scum decause Iain Dowie must've been f***ing the ref or something.

On seagulls.co.uk 'we will not take the negatives into tuesdays game but the positives'. I think that sums up McGhee's approach and he really does bring a positive element to the team. Look at the performance he got out of Knight today. Sheer class. He is one of the best managers we have had at this club and want to see him lead us to Falmer and beyond.

Excellent post:clap: :clap: :clap:

McGhee has my complete and total backing.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought is was MM's best 75 minutes or so, then it all fell apart.

Dowie took off players that were doing OK for tactical reasons and it paid off for them. I don't think they would have got the winner if Hart had not been sent off though. Our defence is not good enough.

It is conceivable that MM got outwitted by Dowie and he was outhought by George Burley last year as well. And I though Royle had the measure of MM this year as well.

However, none of these manager's could make Guy Butter's run any faster :lolol:

Last edited:

bigc said:
this isnt for trigger or ernest or McGhee's existing critics, this is for the fans who still back him but are beginning to feel a lil' alarmed.

how much longer will he get your 100% support before you start to place the finger of blame on him and not our current scenario.

this thread is kinda inspired by karen brady's of birminghams comments that they'd back Steve Bruce even if they were relegated.

would we/you do the same for McGhee?

Of course! - we can all argue the toss about different tactics and formations and selections but anyone with more than half a braincell knows we are punching way above our weight in this league and no other manager would do any better, and given McGhee's score so far is two excellent seasons out of two, you'd really have to be a bit of an ingrate to knife him in the back now.

Does anyone actually think we played badly today and deserved to lose?

There is one thing having a disappointing result with no real prospect of getting any better, but that isn't the Albion - we could quite feasibly get the results in either of the next two games that would have us out of the bottom 3, if we just improve a little bit in certain areas.

Last edited:

Gully said:
He still has my total backing, we are punching above our weight on a shoestring budget, he would lose it if we were relegated and didn't make an immediate challenge for promotion. With the squad we have it should be possible for us to turn things around, yes I know we have been saying this for weeks but I believe we can. Things were difficult last season because we just struggled to make chances and score, that hasn't been so difficult this season although results haven't been going our way, teams still find us difficult to beat and nobody has managed a hatful against us, that is usually a sign that a team will sink without trace.

What he said

E

enigma

I still back him, given the resources he has got he has done a good job and the performances haven't been atrocious, even though we could do with a few more points. In any case, I dont see the point in changing manager during the season unless the team is a complete disaste eg Hinshelwood, so best to leave it to summer before any reviews are made.

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
It's sometimes very hard to come on NSC after a loss - but some of the comments on here beggar belief.
McGhee and the team did me proud yesterday - we played a great game and came close to doing the double over palace. It was gutting to lose the way we did - I was screaming abuse at the palace goalie for running the length of the pitch to celebrate - but that just goes to show what a cracking game it was.
I thought we played the more skillful football but palace have some deadly strikers....although their last goal would've been saved if not for the deflection.
McGhee's doing great and if we play like that against cardiff and derby then we'll be out of the mire and doing fine.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Withdean Wanderer said:
To be honest, if we don't get at least 3 points from next two games i'll be very pissed off, but as i stated somewhere else, who for the job?

???

George Burley

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
George Burley

It is going to be a difficult choice for him, Rangers, Republic of Ireland or Brighton.

Is this the same George Burley who was sacked by Ipswich for taking them to 19th in the Championship the year after they were relegated from the Prem?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I back McGhee because I still believe his team selections are fine, tactics generally fine and the squad still seems to have belief.

However, I am concerned with his substitutions. Let's look at CKR - to my mind his primary job is to hold the ball up and bring other into play but he can't do this to save his life which is why Palace ended up winning yesterday.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
El Presidente said:
It is going to be a difficult choice for him, Rangers, Republic of Ireland or Brighton.

Is this the same George Burley who was sacked by Ipswich for taking them to 19th in the Championship the year after they were relegated from the Prem?

And I think the Portsmouth job could be available very soon. Still it appears that the McGhee out crew know for a FACT that Burley would walk to Brighton for a job interview.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here