Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] How much left on your mortgage?

How much is left on your mortgage

• Happy days... No Mortgage

Votes: 145 44.9%
  • Under 50k

Votes: 24 7.4%
  • 50k-100k

Votes: 24 7.4%
  • 100k-200k

Votes: 58 18.0%
  • 200k-300k

Votes: 34 10.5%
  • 300k-400k

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • 400k-500k

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • 500k-600k

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 600k-700k

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 700k-800k

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 800k-900k

• 900k-1 mill

• 1 mill-1.5 mill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1.5 mill plus

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bleak isn’t it - mine does the same with my natwest app. 220k or thereabouts for me. Just the 28 odd years to go although overpaying as much as I can.

It’ll all take shape over time. You’re a relative spring chicken.

Just think of the repayments as cheaper than rent on a place (I assume) you like, enjoy life and it’ll all be yours at some stage.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Do men do Spa days?

Yes, yes they do. . . . You say 'day' I like to make a long weekend of it. . A997E265-00A3-405D-90E4-42B04AAE7BB7.jpeg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Let me tell you Icy, this forum is full of Tories.:lolol:

Some of us are Thatcher kids, not by choice, we're a bit 'Rik'

The only way to get by, and not get shafted by the system, was to get on the gravy train.

I've been paying a mortgage 30 years and should/could well be clear by now, but we decided to spaff £100k on the house 2 years ago . . . Its lovely, but I won't be retiring any time soon. .

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
My dream is to be mortgage-free. I'm overpaying at the moment in order to get rid of it as fast as possible.

To those who have no mortgage, and this is a genuine question, does life change all that much when you clear it off - and if it does, in what ways have you noticed?
and my bank
Paid mine off on a whim 10 years ago when business was on the up during a tea and biscuit appointment at my bank , can't say I've missed it that much :thumbsup:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Currently just under £80K, but in the process of moving out of Brighton, and the move will leave us mortgage free. If all things go well with the move, my last ever mortgage payment will be July 1st :thumbsup:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
We are in the process of moving but in order to move from a flat to a house we are lumbering ourselves with a scarily high mortgage. Unfortunately there is no other way...

Got me thinking whether we are in the minority or majority...

Thanks [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION]

That’s what you do when you move up the ladder. The fact that you are actually thinking that it is scary is good, hopefully you won’t overstretch yourself. I remember sitting down after agreeing to buy my previous home thinking ‘f.x.x.k., what have I done?’ I no longer have a mortgage, a position that I can heartily recommend.p

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
It’ll all take shape over time. You’re a relative spring chicken.

Just think of the repayments as cheaper than rent on a place (I assume) you like, enjoy life and it’ll all be yours at some stage.

Oh yeah I am in a very lucky position. I’m 35 and this is the house we plan on staying in for the foreseeable. It’s just a stark number to be presented with every time you open up the banking app! Eye watering what some of my mates have to pay on rent in comparison

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
My dream is to be mortgage-free. I'm overpaying at the moment in order to get rid of it as fast as possible.

To those who have no mortgage, and this is a genuine question, does life change all that much when you clear it off - and if it does, in what ways have you noticed?

Oh yes, it changes. All those things that you may have wanted but couldn’t afford? You can now afford them but do not really want them!

In reality, it iis rather lovely.

D

Deleted member 2719

We could pay of our mortgage, but choose not too. With interest rates being so low, the savings are not significant enough to pay it off.
So a sizeable buffer is in place in case we get inflation or a recession around the corner...........and it always happens.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh yeah I am in a very lucky position. I’m 35 and this is the house we plan on staying in for the foreseeable. It’s just a stark number to be presented with every time you open up the banking app! Eye watering what some of my mates have to pay on rent in comparison

I know exactly what you mean. £220k is a big figure.

But your place is probably worth a lot more, the average new mortgage now is £170k and over time it’ll feel much smaller compared to the house value.

I know individual house prices are 6x or more greater than in 1994. An £80k or £100k mortgage then seemed a huge millstone. Over time, equity increased, repayment mortgage balances naturally fell, it all worked out.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I was mortgage free last June, after absolutely hammering the over-payments for a while. Decided to move into a bigger house though, so I'm back up into the 100-200k bracket. Similar bracket for my buy-to-lets.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Seeing how many have zero mortgage suggests an older demographic on NCS or a lot of renters

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Paid mine off 10 years ago when my mum passed away and left me enough to do so. But 5 years ago borrowed another £50k for much needed building works, new kitchen, second bathroom etc.

I've just retired and could now easily pay it all off with pension lump sum but kept the cash as mortgage is fixed at 1.59%. My son is buying his first house so will need a helping hand with bits and pieces. (why is a new boiler always twice what you think it will be?).

My first mortgage was £30k and monthly repayments were over 60% of my take home. We had some super scary times when wife had to give up work (no part-time working in those days) as we had two nippers in nappies and mortgage rates 12 - 15 %. But we got through and mortgage was always cheaper than or similar to renting .

Good luck to everyone with big mortgages and young families. It will come good in the long term.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Some of us are Thatcher kids, not by choice, we're a bit 'Rik'

The only way to get by, and not get shafted by the system, was to get on the gravy train.

I've been paying a mortgage 30 years and should/could well be clear by now, but we decided to spaff £100k on the house 2 years ago . . . Its lovely, but I won't be retiring any time soon. .

Neil, neil......orange peel....
We were in a similar position we considered upgrading about 6 years ago, but decided not to.....because we hate spending!!
There are times we wished we had, but we are not materialistic at all and I in particular hate to follow trends!

If I was a young as you, I would have probably done it too.:lolol:

You can always flog it and downsize, if it added value. I have seen too much of late that doesn't want me to push my family to our financial limits.
So steady as she goes for me ATM.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Technically very little as kept it going in case we needed to easily borrow more, which we have now done to help daughter and partner buy a small house

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Yes, yes it does, knowing the bricks & mortar around you are all yours makes a big difference to your mental health, probably shouldn't but it does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here