Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How much have we spent this window ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Is there a change in the way PSR is calculated in the future?
It's almost as if Tony Bloom is filling his shopping trolley while he is still allowed to.
Albion made the 2nd biggest profit in the PL ever last season and that didn’t include the Caicedo transfer. And last season we also spent millions on Baleba, Verbruggen, Pedro , Osman and Igor. And the Ansu Fati loan.
A lot of the fees for this season are - especially if you quote them in Euros/don’t include add ons - similar.
The idea that this window is a massive step change , or that Bloom for whatever reason (PSR ! , RDZ ! Europe !) is “going for it” (unlike other seasons) is a bit overplayed.
We’re selling players too. (Gross, undav, Gilmour ) for decent ££.
The squad needs strengthening. It does every summer.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Tariq's hamstrings are shot. Never going the player he was which is really sad. I think he'll eventually get released by the club.
Nope, he'll never return to being the world class RWB he was for a few months in 2020 before his injury, but he's far from dead.

Imho he has adapted to his new reality and really improved his crossing and decision making. He's not irreplaceable by any means but if we fail to get a big improvement, he'll still do just fine.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Nope, he'll never return to being the world class RWB he was for a few months in 2020 before his injury, but he's far from dead.

Imho he has adapted to his new reality and really improved his crossing and decision making. He's not irreplaceable by any means but if we fail to get a big improvement, he'll still do just fine.

It's odd that he hasn't even been on the bench for the last two friendlies. I wondered if he was on his way out, but there have been no rumours linking him elsewhere at all.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
It's odd that he hasn't even been on the bench for the last two friendlies. I wondered if he was on his way out, but there have been no rumours linking him elsewhere at all.
Presumably he is injured... but it could also be a case of not taking any risks with him in case Ferdi comes, as that would very likely mean Lamptey leaves.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
This summer we’ve brought in £30-33m Minteh, £25m Wieffer, £6m Yalcouye, & ACD free. And we’ve sold Gross for £8-10m, Undav for £25m (plus add ons), Leonard for £500,000, and Kozlowski for undisclosed terms. Am I missing anyway? So net we’ve actually only spent between 20 & 30 million so far. With Lallana & Fati off the wages bill, and others (Gilmour, Moder, Dahoud etc) may be sold or loaned, there’s still room for us to flex our muscles in the transfer market.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
This summer we’ve brought in £30-33m Minteh, £25m Wieffer, £6m Yalcouye, & ACD free. And we’ve sold Gross for £8-10m, Undav for £25m (plus add ons), Leonard for £500,000, and Kozlowski for undisclosed terms. Am I missing anyway? So net we’ve actually only spent between 20 & 30 million so far. With Lallana & Fati off the wages bill, and others (Gilmour, Moder, Dahoud etc) may be sold or loaned, there’s still room for us to flex our muscles in the transfer market.
Gomez?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There's two things here. How much money we can actually afford and what PSR allows us to spend.

How much money we can afford.

We clearly banked hundreds of £millions from Chelsea Liverpool Spurs etc and banked £122 m profit in 22/23 of which we paid a chunk back to Bloom. Presumably this could become accessible if we needed.

However we've spent a lot of this. Last summer, we spent a lot, although we made a surplus, but last winter we spent quite a bit on Barco and Osman last winter and this summer we've currently spent around £60m more than we've received and if there are a couple of incomings, then that could end up as -£100m even if we sell Gilmour and a few others. Clearly if we're doing it we can afford it and the club have worked out now is the time to spend the money.

PSR is more interesting. And I admit I'm more hazy

Those massive surpluses from previous years will drop off in a couple of years and we could be faced with having to make a profit in the next two years to offset a likely large loss this financial year.

But, I'm aware the rules are changing and the three year rolling losses rule are going to go and be replaced with a squad cost against revenue measure. It makes complete sense for us to load our squad with the Caicedo etc money now

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Tariq's hamstrings are shot. Never going the player he was which is really sad. I think he'll eventually get released by the club.
New club doctor and medical team. First (ever) transfer fee for the head man. TL’s hamstrings can, like any young athlete, be strengthened and managed. Ryan Giggs hamstrings were shot in his mid 20s and then they weren’t courtesy of yoga. Same goes for Solly.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
However we've spent a lot of this. Last summer, we spent a lot, although we made a surplus, but last winter we spent quite a bit on Barco and Osman last winter and this summer we've currently spent around £60m more than we've received and if there are a couple of incomings, then that could end up as -£100m even if we sell Gilmour and a few others.

Remember what we spend is amortised over five years, so £125m spent is £25m in this year's accounts, which would be covered by the Undav sale.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

Last season stands at a higher spend

€206.37 m (edit correction - €109.5m - not sure where I got the other figure from 😳)
Baleba
Pedro (record)
Verbruggen
Osman
Igor
Barco

(I’m not sure which budget Osman cam out of)

So far this season our spend is €91.m

Minteh
Wieffer
Yalcouyé
(ACD on a free)
Verbruggen, Igor, Baleba, Milner, Dahoud, Fati & Pedro all signed last summer.

6/7 signings each summer isn't unusual. We will likely add a few more if available for the right price

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Presumably he is injured... but it could also be a case of not taking any risks with him in case Ferdi comes, as that would very likely mean Lamptey leaves.
Yes, the former is much more likely. Probably the first of at least two before Christmas.

We'd be absolutely mental relying on TL as our only real RWB.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Albion made the 2nd biggest profit in the PL ever last season and that didn’t include the Caicedo transfer. And last season we also spent millions on Baleba, Verbruggen, Pedro , Osman and Igor. And the Ansu Fati loan.
A lot of the fees for this season are - especially if you quote them in Euros/don’t include add ons - similar.
The idea that this window is a massive step change , or that Bloom for whatever reason (PSR ! , RDZ ! Europe !) is “going for it” (unlike other seasons) is a bit overplayed.
We’re selling players too. (Gross, undav, Gilmour ) for decent ££.
The squad needs strengthening. It does every summer.
Seriously?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here