Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much do you think are lads are on?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
chez said:
I know that Harding was on £350 and a current member of our 1st team squad is on £400. Seeing as he is still with us I dont think it right to release his name.

If he has recently renewed his contract then I would assume he has had a rise.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
chez said:
Im not gonna go through a proccess of elimination with you but lets just say its not Jakey or Hammond (although I have no idea what their wage is)

ok fair enough, so one of them other players i listed is currently on £400 a week?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I can't remember what the wage bill was but if even if you divided it by the number of players and other staff the average didn't come out very high.

Take out a few executives earning relatively high wages and two or three playing high earnings and you'd probably be surprised at how low the average works out.

I don't think there is anyone who could be described as being on the gravy train here.

The total Albion wage bill is less than 60 per cent of the club's turnover - the Football League would like all clubs to cap their wages at that level. Very few of them manage it.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I assume the wage cap relates to just players or does it relate to other staff too?

I just found something from a couple of years back that said turnover was 3.5m and there were 62 staff of which 40 were players and coaches.

assuming it's just players

3.5m x 60% = 2.1m/30? players = £70k pa.

Some earning higher will bring that fag packet figure down but even then the average is only a little over £1300 a week.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Race said:

We don't like liars around here Yorkie:ohmy:

...a grand a week is pretty pitiful when you consider the average football career lasts about 15 years, and certainly on that kind of money you wouldn't be able to retire afterwards.

So what next for Mr Butters, race?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
munster monch said:
I assume the wage cap relates to just players or does it relate to other staff too?

I just found something from a couple of years back that said turnover was 3.5m and there were 62 staff of which 40 were players and coaches.

assuming it's just players

3.5m x 60% = 2.1m/30? players = £70k pa.

Some earning higher will bring that fag packet figure down but even then the average is only a little over £1300 a week.

yer but there's ways and means around these things!!

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
dwayne said:

...a grand a week is pretty pitiful when you consider the average football career lasts about 15 years, and certainly on that kind of money you wouldn't be able to retire afterwards.

Now now dwayne, I didnt call Yorkie a liar!! I have never confirmed anything on here about players wages, and nor would I, thats why I did a ??? on Yorkies post.

No idea whats next for Mr Butters at the moment, he cant think about it while hes still concentrating on playing thats the thing.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
dwayne said:

15 years ? Not for most. How many players have been through Brighton alonein the last ten years ? Most are either very non league or retired'. Players like Tank are fairly rare and I doubt that Tank has even had a sniff of Rio Ferdinand size wages.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Race said:
Now now dwayne, I didnt call Yorkie a liar!! I have never confirmed anything on here about players wages, and nor would I, thats why I did a ??? on Yorkies post.

No idea whats next for Mr Butters at the moment, he cant think about it while hes still concentrating on playing thats the thing.

Maybe he should be a plumber, they seem to do okay. :lolol:

munster monch said:
My understanding is that the 60 per cent "target" relates to players and some categories of non-playing staff.

I doubt if it includes all non-playing staff, such as the people teaching computer skills as part of the Club's community programme.

But I may be wrong. If income from such projects is included in the turnover, then I guess the wages might be included in that part of the calculation.

Race said:
I have never confirmed anything on here about players wages, and nor would I
Quite right, Race.

However, this thread is a bit more realistic than most. Some people seem to have the idea that all Championship players are earning several thousands a week and that there are loads of "top earners" in this league who are on well over £10,000 a week.

It's simply not true.

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
bhaexpress said:
15 years ? Not for most. How many players have been through Brighton alonein the last ten years ? Most are either very non league or retired'. Players like Tank are fairly rare and I doubt that Tank has even had a sniff of Rio Ferdinand size wages.

I suspect a lot make it through from say 17 to 32 say as pro's but my point was really that they have to make the most of their money in a shorter timescale than most of us would have to in traditional jobs

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
munster monch said:
I suspect a lot make it through from say 17 to 32 say as pro's but my point was really that they have to make the most of their money in a shorter timescale than most of us would have to in traditional jobs

I agree with that yes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here