Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much do postman get a week after tax?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I don't know the exact figures but a friend we had in Huddersfield left the Post Office to become a bus driver as it was better paid. Bus drivers got £350 a week before tax.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
If I was a postie I would steal every single birthday card I was meant to deliever. With all those fivers and tenners meant for little Billy's 10th I could live like a KING.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
From the post man and post woman vacancy part on the Royal Mail Website.

As a guide, new employees aged 18 and over will receive basic pay of around £256 a week for full-time hours rising to £285 - £311 after 1 year. This rate will be on a pro-rata basis for part-time hours. Higher rates are paid in Inner and Outer London and in some parts of the South East.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
From the post man and post woman vacancy part on the Royal Mail Website.

As a guide, new employees aged 18 and over will receive basic pay of around £256 a week for full-time hours rising to £285 - £311 after 1 year. This rate will be on a pro-rata basis for part-time hours. Higher rates are paid in Inner and Outer London and in some parts of the South East.

Plus £80-£120 tax-free per calender month lifted from birthday cards.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Plus £80-£120 tax-free per calender month lifted from birthday cards.

In the same way that people who work in London & the South East get a 'Large Town Allowance', this would surely apply to the 'Birthday Card Bonus' that the posties get.

If your round was in Hampstead for example, you would expect to receive around £500 per month, tax, free, as a Birthday Card Bonus. In more deprived areas, the bonus would be much smaller, if anything at all, because many Birthday Cards would be stolen before they were even collected from the postbox.

Hope this helps

:thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I had a mate who was a postie. He could earn well in excess of £500 per week if he was prepared to put the hours in at he depot after finishing his round at noon.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I had a mate who was a postie. He could earn well in excess of £500 per week if he was prepared to put the hours in at he depot after finishing his round at noon.

Remember that when a postman finishes at12 - 12.30 he has been at work since 4 - 4.30 am still an 8 hour day for a flat week of about £250 take home pay, your mate would have to rack up a shit load of overtime to bring in more than double that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Remember that when a postman finishes at12 - 12.30 he has been at work since 4 - 4.30 am still an 8 hour day for a flat week of about £250 take home pay, your mate would have to rack up a shit load of overtime to bring in more than double that.

I should add that he had been in the job a good few years, so was probably not on the lowest scale. I think he was some kind of 'shift-leader' or somesuch?

sunshine

May 31, 2006
Essex
My mum takes home about £430 a week ( she works nights sorting the mail), but to get this much she has to do overtime (12 hour shift) 3 times a week plus she works on a sunday night.

D

Deleted member 2719

Judging by my mate.

They must earn a tidy packet as he has a Penthouse over looking the susssex downs and he has been away to the Maldives,Turkey (Twice), cornwall and always has another holiday planned just a month or two away.

At one time he was having some major work to his car which lasted 6months and he was being driven around in a limo.

Too much is my anwser.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Meant to say you only get £265/70 if you deliver 3 extra leaflets a week.....its rubbish pay.

It's quite good pay for unskilled workers methinks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The figures being banded around are in the right ball park.
The strike is not only about money & it's very frustating that this point is being lost.

The 2.5% on offer has either 8 or 22 catches (I can't spell caviates) attached, depending on who you believe.
Some of these proposals are 'fair enough' & have already been implimented in some/our depot. Unfortunately there are others which are just plan wrong.

We get paid 1.67p (that's just over one & a half pence) per item for the 3 leaflets we deliver. RM want to increase that amount perhaps to as many as 11 a week, without paying us any more than for the 3 we get. Each contract is worth roughly £13 million, that's a lot of cash that won't filter to the people doing the work.

There are to be no more full time contracts (40 hours) making work in the depot very difficult.

Our hours are to change so we won't get the early shift allowance, therefore making the 2.5% akin to a pay freeze, or even a cut.
Also the change will result in delivering until 2-3 o'clock in the afternoon. Over heavy times you'll be getting your post a tea time.

And so it goes on.
I don't think there's much confidence in the current management teams.
Our CEO is also on the board of TNT! How does that work?
We apparantly were the 2nd largest losers to Leeds Ltd. How does that work?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Judging by my mate.

They must earn a tidy packet as he has a Penthouse over looking the susssex downs and he has been away to the Maldives,Turkey (Twice), cornwall and always has another holiday planned just a month or two away.

At one time he was having some major work to his car which lasted 6months and he was being driven around in a limo.

Too much is my anwser.

:D:D:tosser::lolol::lolol::tosser::tosser: of the highest order:tosser:

1) Ex council flat
2)Ist forementioned holiday was last year.....................2nd.....budget holiday to Turkey.......wow..........2nd trip there up in the air depending on availability of CHEAP flights..................cornwall...........B&B weekend away to celibrate a birthday
3) I run an 8 year-old deisel Astra............it went wrong and cost me best part of £1300....was close if i was to scrap it and as it was all in all my savings have all but vanished.

So Bollocks we dont earn a lot:rant: and its not often i have a rant on here but us Posties are realy having a lot to contend with lately!
Modernisation..............bollocks..........the Royal mail before competition was a well run outfit...........not perfect i agree but the efficientcy levels were running at a healthy 92-94% but because big business want a slice of the profit cake the business now has to try to compete in the market on a completely unfair playing field. Private firms are creaming off the lucrative logistic oprerations of the Royal Mail and cherry picking the big highly profitable Business Post industry. Why is it the Royal Mail is left with picking up the pieces of trying to make a profit out of the less lucrative part of the business i.e ........the door to door deliveries to residential customers while having to subsidise the compitition in area like logistics and bulk mailing. Worst to come i am afraid the proposals include later starting time for Posties (cutting their wages) having the knock -on effect of later deliveries and more unsatified customers. We dont want it....the customers dont want it.......our union dont want it and if some of there proposals are carried through then i fear the Post office will be unreconisable to the current outfit. We are going the same way as the Railways and IMO that has to be a bad thing!!:braders:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here