Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many supporters do you reckon we actually have?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Supporters or followers huge difference between the two

Yep, big difference. Hence the Man U number is totally false.

We obviously have a large catchment and there must be a fair few thousand exiles.

The urban area we're in has 250k people. Lets say that bags us 50k followers and maybe 10k supporters.

Larger area of Sussex has how many? A million? Of which maybe another 50k follow and another 10k support.

Exiles number what? 50k worth of followers?

Look at your average championship side. What, say? 150k followers and 50k supporters. Maybe 20k are more hard core.

How many did we have on here on transfer day? 4k? And they will be the real strong support base. There'll be many other observers, users of NSC that aren't registered.

How do you sustain that figure and grow it - short of just getting a rich owner and winning the premiership?

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Apropos de rien, Charles Green is on record as stating that there are 500 million Rangers fans around the world, which is 100 times the population of Scotland.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Apropos de rien, Charles Green is on record as stating that there are 500 million Rangers fans around the world, which is 100 times the population of Scotland.

Maybe he is combining every team called 'Rangers' - New York, Queens Park etc.

Even then...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I estimated a fan base at Withdean to be able sustain 6500 gates to be 100000 strong,quite clearly this is a wild speculation but i'd say it's hard to say.

I know somebody who has only ever seen Brighton once,she does not like football but if pushed when asked says she supports Brighton.

Her only game? 2004 At Cardiff in the play off final.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One thing I did notice the other day, and it seems sort of relevant to mention it here, on Twitter...

Manchester Utd have 61,000 followers
Barcelona have 7,300,000 followers

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
One thing I did notice the other day, and it seems sort of relevant to mention it here, on Twitter...

Manchester Utd have 61,000 followers
Barcelona have 7,300,000 followers

That's a massive difference. Can only assume Man U don't treat twitter seriously.

Seagull Stew

Me, my wife and two others that I know of that live in the same NZ town as me (population 100,000). Although one, supports Brighton AND Man Utd, so not sure I can count him!

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
Exiles number what? 50k worth of followers?

So why pray tell are we followers and not supporters, the supporters club has almost 200 members across Australia & New Zealand many who have been season ticket holders.
I myself have supported the club since my 1st match in 1971 and had a season ticket at Withdean for our 1st 7 seasons there.
Our oldest member saw his 1st match in the mid 1950's so unlike many season ticket holders of today we are not JCL as some of you say, most of us are from an older age group
that spans almost 60 years of supporting the club. There are many of us that listen to the matches at all hours of the morning, I don't think that's the sort of thing followers of the club do nor do they start a supporters club in the 1st place.
You'll probably find we are more pasionate about the club than half of the west stand and just because we now live abroad dosen't mean we still don't care about the club, that's like moving abroad and forgetting about your family.
Take a look at our Facebook page and see for yourself https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brighton-Hove-Albion-Australian-Supporters-Club/182347468450496?ref=hl

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Me, my wife and two others that I know of that live in the same NZ town as me (population 100,000). Although one, supports Brighton AND Man Utd, so not sure I can count him!

there are three of us in Bewdley although only 2 of us are season ticket holders :lol:

dookieno8

Aug 20, 2012

He's probably exaggerated that slightly

Seriously, I think Rangers are about half that amount, 250,000,000 followers, with about 150,000,000 of those hard core fans... seriously

Deadly Serious

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here