Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many of Brighton's population actually work?

How many of Brighton's population work for a living

• Over 75%

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • About 50%

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Less than 25%

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • They all used to work at Telelgen.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • It so hot they all took a sickie.

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Why don't you just make yourself up a uniform and get one of those seaside naval caps, and write " Cycle Warden " on it then you can patrol the seafront doing something useful. ..... Like protecting cyclists from balding psycho's ?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Anyone making assumptions about people who are out and about on a sunny Monday - instead of stuck in an office like me - need to remember that lots of people who are in work do not work a standard Monday to Friday 9-5. Lots of people do shifts including evenings / weekends which may mean that daytime on Monday is their time off. Lots of part time workers too. Other people have flexible hours which means they can do a "nine day fortnight" by working longer hours, or might have just booked a Monday off having seen the forecast. So a lot of the people you saw out and about may well work, just at different times.

This is it.

Brighton isn't blessed with an abundance of high rise office blocks housing 9-5ers five days a week and the big employers are Amex (shift work), the council (shift work) and the hospital (shift work) so it's not too surprising to see a great many people out on the streets.

Your attitude is a bit suspect though HB&B, you freely admit that you enjoyed a day out in the summer sun as you don't have a job BUT assume the worst of other people doing the same. I suspect a lot of them, like you, are struggling to find work at the moment. It isn't as if this is the best time to be looking, is it?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No I include myself as rather fortunate. Although a little frustrated I cannot secure a permanent position.

How hard have you tried ? How much of a pay cut would you take ? How far would you travel ? I bet a lot of the people you saw today are in the same position as you, did that occur to you ?

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Spains official unemployed is about 20% and there are very little in the way of benefits for those who don't work. I believe that people get 1 yr of "Dole" money which is at quite a high rate of the percentage of their previous salary but there is little or no help for many but then again I am not an authority on the subject. What I am getting at I suppose is that if the figure here is 20% & the figure in the UK is only supposed to be approx 9% I think the figures for the UK are really not a true representation of the real out of work figure as much as the figure here is unlikely to be a true account of the people out of real work.
Politics aside do any of you truly believe that the new government will actually create jobs to ease the situation? It looks as if with all the cuts there will be more unemployed in the short-mid term & unless Britain rediscovers some form of manufacturing or another sector takes up the slack we are seeing the last days of a true working population everywhere.
I work here for a developer who have a head office in Brazil & can't see myself heading back because of the situation but heading for Brazil instead as it is one of the worlds better economies. Therefore I am now an economic migrant.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
:eek: the pier and beach was busy, on a hot sunny day in late May, in a tourist town with two universities and 3 or 4 colleges? what is going on :shrug:

:wozza:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes I know I can talk. But as there is no work on the horizon for me. We took the kids for their first experience of Volks Railway. It was packed.

Then we walked on the Pier, rammed.

Then we took a stroll from Albion beach to just past the Fortune Of War, we could hardly maneuver the buggy

These people can't all be holidaymakers/ day trippers.

Its a normal working Monday don't forget.

I don't know about hippest city work shy-est it would seem.

You can be a nasty piece of work sometimes Tim. Mocking the kids that just lost their jobs at Telegen.

What's that all about? ???

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I am an IT Contractor and haven't had a sniff of any contracts in Sussex for a good 18 months.

A lot of big office based employers have either gone or outsourced.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I am an IT Contractor and haven't had a sniff of any contracts in Sussex for a good 18 months.

A lot of big office based employers have either gone or outsourced.

I know the feeling, it's the reason I left Sussex. Now I live in North West Kent I find work fairly regularly. Sussex is not a good area for emplyment in many sectors.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I got made redundant from a good, long standing position within the new housing sector, some 18 months ago, I still cant find secure decent emplyment, but am getting by on anything i can, at the moment i am driving a van delivering motor parts to garages, but at the end of this weekm it ends, then back to finding more work.

If you want to work and are willing to do pretty much anything, in the end you will find something.

D

Deleted User X18H

Why don't you just make yourself up a uniform and get one of those seaside naval caps, and write " Cycle Warden " on it then you can patrol the seafront doing something useful. ..... Like protecting cyclists from balding psycho's ?

Anyone got any braid?

BIG GAY AL

May 27, 2008
To be honest i was on the pier yesterday and it was incredibly empty compared to a saturday or sunday, and im a student. I was with my girlfriend and she took a day off. If you think about all those who work theyve got to take holiday off some times.

In the end lots of people don't work normal hours.

And we are talking about Brighton here.

One thing about unemployment, if people want a job wouldn't it be better to do anything until one that suits them comes along? I don't know a huge amount, and i know circumstances can affect this but if i was an employer seeing someone who has done any job to keep busy, money etc. would look so much better than someone who did very little.

D

Deleted User X18H

You can be a nasty piece of work sometimes Tim. Mocking the kids that just lost their jobs at Telegen.

What's that all about? ???

As way of an apology THPP get yourself on Jordan's Light in the 6.50 at Huntingdon.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
To be honest i was on the pier yesterday and it was incredibly empty compared to a saturday or sunday, and im a student. I was with my girlfriend and she took a day off. If you think about all those who work theyve got to take holiday off some times.

In the end lots of people don't work normal hours.

And we are talking about Brighton here.

One thing about unemployment, if people want a job wouldn't it be better to do anything until one that suits them comes along? I don't know a huge amount, and i know circumstances can affect this but if i was an employer seeing someone who has done any job to keep busy, money etc. would look so much better than someone who did very little.

I have been in IT for nearly forty years, if I try to go for another type of work I tend to be told (mainly just ignored) that as I have been in IT for that long then I would take the first IT job I got offered, in point of fact a fair comment. I have applied for quite a few non IT jobs and have got nowhere. Granted my age is against me, I get told that I am 'too experienced' (legally they can't tell me I'm too old any more). I had two interviews last week, both not local. I have heard nothing about one and the agent seems to be out of circulation. As for the second one the interviewers told me that they were in desperate need of somebody with my sort of experience. The agent said I was easily the most suitable. Frankly I ticked all of the boxes. Well surprise surprise I heard nothing until I called the agent, he thought he'd told me he said (lying bastard). Anyway, these desperate decided that they needed to search further. Oh, they were so busy that they have gone on holiday.

Anyway, to be fair I have done the better part of two hundred interviews and I can tell when an interviewer knows what they want. Typically the second clearly didn't and yes, I got the distinct impression that they knew I knew more than they did. Still, as it's pretty clear on my CV I have been doing this a long time so why waste my time and money to interview me ? (I can claim travelling expenses from the Job Centre but it costs me nearly as much to claim it as it does to travel so I don't waste the time). I might add I had a similar interview a couple of weeks ago. I have had more than a few interviews like this not to mention the number I have had when it's clear that the interviewer had barely read my CV. There are others that are even worse. I had one interview last year where the interviewer was so rude I all but punched him. I am happy to say that he has now been sacked.

I suppose I shouldn't complain as there are a lot of people in their mid fifties like me who can't get anything but it does infuriate me when I get somebody giving trying to give me advice when they have no idea what they are talking about.

Oh, I have an interview in a couple of days which for a change I can just about walk to. How I get with that is anybody's guess but I am sceptical. I might just mention that every job I apply for usually gets over one hundred applicants, one agent told me last week that he'd had over 250 applicants for a job I applied for.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If you only a second home and rent it out what rate of tax do you pay on that income?
Not having a go at anyone, just interested to know...

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
If you only a second home and rent it out what rate of tax do you pay on that income?
Not having a go at anyone, just interested to know...

At whatever your personal tax rate is, but if it takes you over the 40% rate, you will pay 40%. You don't pay National Insurance as far as I know, though. You have to watch out if you hold property in a trust. Even if you don't actually receive income from it, the income the trust received will be counted as deemed income, and will be taxed whether you receive it or not.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I have been in IT for nearly forty years, if I try to go for another type of work I tend to be told (mainly just ignored) that as I have been in IT for that long then I would take the first IT job I got offered, in point of fact a fair comment. I have applied for quite a few non IT jobs and have got nowhere. Granted my age is against me, I get told that I am 'too experienced' (legally they can't tell me I'm too old any more). I had two interviews last week, both not local. I have heard nothing about one and the agent seems to be out of circulation. As for the second one the interviewers told me that they were in desperate need of somebody with my sort of experience. The agent said I was easily the most suitable. Frankly I ticked all of the boxes. Well surprise surprise I heard nothing until I called the agent, he thought he'd told me he said (lying bastard). Anyway, these desperate decided that they needed to search further. Oh, they were so busy that they have gone on holiday.

Anyway, to be fair I have done the better part of two hundred interviews and I can tell when an interviewer knows what they want. Typically the second clearly didn't and yes, I got the distinct impression that they knew I knew more than they did. Still, as it's pretty clear on my CV I have been doing this a long time so why waste my time and money to interview me ? (I can claim travelling expenses from the Job Centre but it costs me nearly as much to claim it as it does to travel so I don't waste the time). I might add I had a similar interview a couple of weeks ago. I have had more than a few interviews like this not to mention the number I have had when it's clear that the interviewer had barely read my CV. There are others that are even worse. I had one interview last year where the interviewer was so rude I all but punched him. I am happy to say that he has now been sacked.

I suppose I shouldn't complain as there are a lot of people in their mid fifties like me who can't get anything but it does infuriate me when I get somebody giving trying to give me advice when they have no idea what they are talking about.

Oh, I have an interview in a couple of days which for a change I can just about walk to. How I get with that is anybody's guess but I am sceptical. I might just mention that every job I apply for usually gets over one hundred applicants, one agent told me last week that he'd had over 250 applicants for a job I applied for.

I so know what you are saying and where you are coming from, since I got made redundant 18 months ago, I have gone through just about exactly the same as you say above.
I am 55 and have resigned myself to the fact that bcause of my age i will probably never work in what i know best and have a massive amount of experience in, hence why i go from agency to agency doing driving and such like, just to get by.
And they say "Ageism" does not exist :lol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I so know what you are saying and where you are coming from, since I got made redundant 18 months ago, I have gone through just about exactly the same as you say above.
I am 55 and have resigned myself to the fact that bcause of my age i will probably never work in what i know best and have a massive amount of experience in, hence why i go from agency to agency doing driving and such like, just to get by.
And they say "Ageism" does not exist :lol:

I'm 'fortunate' that I pick stuff up here and there, I get a fair number of interviews but I get the impression that I am used as a yard stick by many interviewers. I can at least keep most of my skills up to date. The thing is though that whilst I have the better part of forty years experience in my profession only the last five years are relevant. I cannot see myself getting a permanent job though. Whilst I can applaud the efforts of the government to try and get young people into work it's a pity they don't consider older people.

What gets me is that I have plenty of very good references from people I've worked with as they're not used to having contractors who can just go to work and know what is required. My experience (and I'm sure your's too) has a value which is ignored.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here