Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many more games has Hypia got, if the current 8 league run without a win continues?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
None personally, but I think it's the consensus of opinion that we don't or won't.

If we ignore consensus of opinion and stick to facts, for the last year we have figures the wage bill was £21 million, which was the 8th highest in the division.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
If we ignore consensus of opinion and stick to facts, for the last year we have figures the wage bill was £21 million, which was the 8th highest in the division.

I accept this point, but that was last season.

We have now sold our best players and seem to have replaced them with players who aren't as good. This would suggest that we are paying less overall. I could be wrong of course, and we can't be sure until the accounts are published, but that appears to be what has happened.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I accept this point, but that was last season.

We have now sold our best players and seem to have replaced them with players who aren't as good. This would suggest that we are paying less overall. I could be wrong of course, and we can't be sure until the accounts are published, but that appears to be what has happened.

I think that seems fair, but given that we lost £14.7 million, and wages are the biggest expense, what is the alternative?

Other clubs in this division will have taken a similar approach, I would be amazed if our wage bill went from 8th to 20th in the division though. That would be about half of the previous level.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
He'll be gone if we don't beat Rotherham next week

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I would be amazed if our wage bill went from 8th to 20th in the division though. That would be about half of the previous level.

Yes, it's not likely to drop that far, but I guess it would depend somewhat on how much the players we've sold or released were earning. Can't see COG being on as much as Ulloa, or Holla as much as Bridcutt.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
didn't we do that in 2012-13 as well, which is why the club are now s**tting it over FFP???

I'm not claiming to know anything about Boro's finances but I seem to remember a few mentions of their inability to sign players due to financial constraints before Karanka took charge and the sudden ability to spend big now, despite the threat of sanctions should their big gamble fail.
The difference between us being that at the time most of us assumed the money to fund our big push came from huge season ticket sales Boro dont have those sales. Remember the shock when Gus gave his "hit the ceiling" interview? Also there was no threat of sanctions because we didn't achieve our goal

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Judging by comments in today's papers. Sammi is already looking for the door ! Quote. Asked if he was the man to turn things around " it's not up to me I'm ambitious and want to be successful ,I'm willing and not a quitter ,I'm a fighter and I hope our team is full of fighters." Not exactly encouraging. And taking leadership !!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
How many more games has Hypia got, if the current 8 league run without a win ...

Judging by comments in today's papers. Sammi is already looking for the door ! Quote. Asked if he was the man to turn things around " it's not up to me I'm ambitious and want to be successful ,I'm willing and not a quitter ,I'm a fighter and I hope our team is full of fighters." Not exactly encouraging. And taking leadership !!

Judging by his touchline behaviour when we were down yesterday he makes Wenger look like Rocky

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
All true except one club has replaced it's best players with players that appear to be at least as good and the other seems to have gone for players that are more suited to a division below where they are now.

To sign COG and months later announce that we don’t really want him, whilst we still have to play him is strange and not very helpful on many levels. And on top of that also publicly stating we would sell him for £250k when we paid £500k doesn’t sound like good FFP logic even to the less educated. We were definitely the most ill prepared club this season, even the compared to the promoted sides, and probably the most difficult club to come in as manager so I can't point any fingers at Sami.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I think that seems fair, but given that we lost £14.7 million, and wages are the biggest expense, what is the alternative?

A.) Dodgy Russian petro-spiv.
B.) Oil sheik
C.) Mysterious Thai businessman-cum-'politician'.
D.) American sports-management consortium,

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

That was the season we really went for it wasn't it? It will be interesting to see last year's figures and this years, I will be very disappointed, nay shocked, if we are still the 8th highest in wages this season given the players we have now. Yet the club insist the budget remains the same. I accept with more clubs in the division with parachute payments now that we will have slipped down the spenders list but I will be intrigued to see if we really have had a wage bill of 21 million over the last two seasons.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To sign COG and months later announce that we don’t really want him, whilst we still have to play him is strange and not very helpful on many levels. And on top of that also publicly stating we would sell him for £250k when we paid £500k doesn’t sound like good FFP logic even to the less educated. We were definitely the most ill prepared club this season, even the compared to the promoted sides, and probably the most difficult club to come in as manager so I can't point any fingers at Sami.

I don't think we did announce that we didn't really want COG. The Sun newspaper printed it, which is no recommendation for truth. Sammi did say he wanted COG to get some game time, & could maybe go out on loan, but that was before we had injuries.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't think we did announce that we didn't really want COG. The Sun newspaper printed it, which is no recommendation for truth. Sammi did say he wanted COG to get some game time, & could maybe go out on loan, but that was before we had injuries.

That is what I said on the O'Grady thread but others on here seemed to back the story up http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?309865-Chris-O-Grady&p=6589926&viewfull=1#post6589926

I didn't read The Sun article, just the OP, but either way I was surprised that it was in the public domain in any form. Being prepared to accept £250k is quite a specific statement that hasn't been defended by the club as being inaccurate.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That is what I said on the O'Grady thread but others on here seemed to back the story up http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?309865-Chris-O-Grady&p=6589926&viewfull=1#post6589926

I didn't read The Sun article, just the OP, but either way I was surprised that it was in the public domain in any form. Being prepared to accept £250k is quite a specific statement that hasn't been defended by the club as being inaccurate.

If the club defended it, it would give credence to the story, which is why they haven't.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I don't buy the whole players not good enough, the tactics or lack of, are the problem.
Totally this. It was only a couple of months ago here on NSC we were bragging about the strength and depth of the squad.

The manager has got it wrong, he needs to try something different whether it be change of system or players something has to change.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Even if we win Tues Saturday is also a must win, because these games are against supposedly inferior teams

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here