Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many Leeds fans will be trying to get the 23:30 out of Kings Cross tomorrow night ?

theboybilly

I think you're picking a little bit.

He's only 33 miles and ten years out...

Is it only 10 years that it closed? I used to drive freight trains up to Leeds and passed over the junction that took trains into Orgreave colliery....the rails were rusted over and covered in weeds and old rubbish even then. From Chesterfield onwards all you seemed to do was pass through ex-mining areas. So sad.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is it only 10 years that it closed? I used to drive freight trains up to Leeds and passed over the junction that took trains into Orgreave colliery....the rails were rusted over and covered in weeds and old rubbish even then. From Chesterfield onwards all you seemed to do was pass through ex-mining areas. So sad.

The mine close in 1981, but then it became a coking plant. That closed in 1990.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

It was redundant after it closed in the very early eighties (first wave of the Thatcher demolition), but was then opened for a period of about ten years from the mid-90s for final extractions. So it hadn't been fully operational for over 30 years. Hard to believe, but there was still coal mining going on in that area a short while ago.

Edit: Thunder Bolt has mentioned other uses after the original closure. Fog of my memory.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There are no deep coal mines left in Yorkshire after Kellingley shut late last year... (there are several surface coal mines left . none of those in Yorkshire either)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-35124077

Don't know how many from Yorks will be getting that last train back though.

Fair play to Leeds fans though. Their fixture has been mid week /evening for last 3 years and the away end always sells out.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
After the Brentford Friday game I got the 22.30 to Victoria and just managed to get the 23.44 at Kings Cross to Cambridge. I think the 23.30 may be pushing it a little.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Which requires at a minimum the 21:58 from Brighton to Victoria.

22:05 won't don't do it.9
The 23:30 will get them back t'Leeds at 02:36. Enough time to get home and get down t'pit at 08:00.
Do you mean kings cross rather than victoria?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Have they sold out the away end? Is 2,300 the maximum allocation?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here