Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How many England starting XI spots are up for grabs?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think we're going to see more Dunk than we expect. He seems to be getting picked in the starting line-up now, I'd even go as far to say he'll start, whether Maguire is fit or not.
I find it intriguing that having listened to a fair number of ‘pundits’ ..presenters over the last couple of weeks ..a lot said he wouldn’t go to Germany ..whereas today he’s included in the squad ..we shall see

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Pickford
Walker Stones Dunk/Branthwaite Trippier
Rice Bellingham
Foden Palmer Gordon
Kane

I think that will be the starting 11. For the bigger games I think Rice and Bellingham will play either side of Mainoo for better midfield strength. Gordon I think will be a mainstay of the starting team, Grealish and Saka can come on and change games but Foden and Palmer are special talents who should play from the start.

Stones' partner is the main question mark in this team.
Will Stones himself be fit …maybe currently but does seem to get injured a lot ..or am I seeing things that aren’t there

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ignore the formation - I appreciate that can vary - but I make it just the two spots up for grabs, assuming Shaw isn't available ...

- Centre-back. Probably Maguire's if he's fit, but if he's not...
- Midfield. Gallagher probably favourite there.

View attachment 183448
Think you have the right starting nine (although when Shaw is fit, he'll start). It should be Mainoo or TAA for the other midfield starting spot, and if/when fit it'll be Maguire as the other CB. Don't think Guehi was much cop of what I saw of last night, and thought that Konsa was really poor -- he's just not good enough on the ball, and think that Gomez is a much better option for the squad and starting if necessary, as he can play anywhere across the back four and is better on the ball.
There are CB issues though as Stones hasn't played much for a while now, and that's part of the bigger issue that England's back five is only just above average, whereas the front six are genuinely world class.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think that's just a waste of talent and to me makes the team look very unbalanced.

Bellingham is one of the top 2 or 3 players in the world. Get in him in his best position. Palmer should be getting 20 mins at the end of games
A top side like Man City have 1 defensive midfielder and the others go and support the attack.

Rice is enough to sit behind a front 5 that are free to create

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A top side like Man City have 1 defensive midfielder and the others go and support the attack.

Rice is enough to sit behind a front 5 that are free to create

Doesn’t it defend on the quality of the opposition? When Arteta feared quality opposition, he played both Rice and Jorginho in deep centre midfield roles next to each other.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Who is the most defensive midfielder we have that can play that position? Knowing Southgate it will be them, whether we are playing France or Albania

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I reckon if everyone is fit Southgate's first choice team is:

Pickford
Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
Rice, Gallagher
Saka Bellingham Foden
Kane

Of that line up the only question mark is over Gallagher(assuming all are fit and healthy), the others are set in stone IMO.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I reckon if everyone is fit Southgate's first choice team is:

Pickford
Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
Rice, Gallagher
Saka Bellingham Foden
Kane

Of that line up the only question mark is over Gallagher(assuming all are fit and healthy), the others are set in stone IMO.
Think you’re probably right. And despite others’ optimism, I reckon Southgate would then pick Guehi over Dunk as the next CB.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Southgate seems to be playing DeZerbiball in the 18 yard box with the occasional hoof from Pickford. I think Dunk is one of the few with good experience of this type of play and is pretty good at it. I can see him going and playing, especially if the donkey is still injured.
I too hope he has a good tournament and is remembered as a superstar and not for an error, unforced or not.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Think you’re probably right. And despite others’ optimism, I reckon Southgate would then pick Guehi over Dunk as the next CB.
I think it depends who is injured. If it's maguire, I agree, I think it'll be guehi. If it's stones then dunks in with a chance(if selected). I think Southgate sees dunk as a right sided centre half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here