Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Lucky We Are !

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
When you see what is happening to other clubs in the football league, and look at many other posts on here, aren’t we so fortunate.

Tony Bloom has financed the Amex Stadium on an apparently most generous arrangement to the benefit of the club, but please consider the implications of that. Our wonderful new stadium at Falmer is NOT ever going to be re-developed as a shopping centre because that just won’t happen in Falmer which is rural or semi rural.

Look at the sad goings-on at Argyle who may or may not have a board entirely given over to the continuation of football, and, our dear friends in Croydon, who are dependant upon a non predatory board with who knows what arrangement with Sainsburys or whatever. Sadly, we know from our own experience that individuals, on the make, don’t care a s--- about what they are doing, if it happens to be in the interest of lining their own pockets, and irrespective that they may cause a football club with perhaps a hundred years or more of history to go under. You can extend this discussion into very many situations which have arisen over the past few years and I am sure you are well aware of these.

The other significant point is that we appear to NOT be going down the road of signing whosoever at whatever salary with a devil may care attitude about the consequences. Just look at the clubs this year who are releasing players out of contract because (even if that club wanted to) they cannot retain them on the salaries they currently or previously being paid and those still under contract are being put on the ’market’ The ‘parachute’ payments receivable from the Football League are something which all clubs, responsible or otherwise, are contributing to if by nothing else than the fact that their share of the TV rights is so heavily biased towards the Premier League and thereby deprives the lower leagues.

To Tony Bloom especially, I say a big thank you for all you have done and you are so correct not to replicate the errors of others.

Best of luck to you, a true hero !

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We made our own luck. Not to disparage the massive contribution of either chairman, but the survival of the club isn't down to Tony Bloom or even Dick Knight. Its down primarily to the fans. At worst, if it had all gone tits up, we'd have done a AFC Wimbledon and rebuilt from scratch.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He's a 'true hero' just because he has spent lots of cash on our football team? Obviously he's a top,top bloke. But I reckon many (who had the income) would do to the same... As for being lucky, we've had our fair share of bad luck in the past!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Tom

Absolutely agree we have been lucky that the supporters pulled out every stop to secure the existence of the club which was of course an amazing achievement and subject to much recognition. My post specifically relates to the more up to date situation and, though referring to other clubs less fortunate, does indeed acknowledge our sad time when survival of BHAFC was by no means assured.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tom

Absolutely agree we have been lucky that the supporters pulled out every stop to secure the existence of the club which was of course an amazing achievement and subject to much recognition. My post specifically relates to the more up to date situation and, though referring to other clubs less fortunate, does indeed acknowledge our sad time when survival of BHAFC was by no means assured.

Fair enough mate

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I think we are so fortunate in so many ways. A brilliant chairman who was willing to take a punt on a new young manager and back him. We have got some real life heroes amongst our loyal fans. I won't repeat all that you said wgray, but i do agree with you. Things are looking so rosy right now, but I don't think anyone will or should forget the dark days.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Echo that Dougal - we have earned some good luck and whilst I laud Tony Bloom for all that he is doing for the club I hope we do remember Dick Tight because he was exactly that and kept us alive, and also give ourselves a bit of credit as fans because we believed that the club was worth saving and fought for our future. All that has happened over the last fifteen years or so has shown that we are truly a community club. I hope that some of those suffering now and in the future can take some small comfort from our story and keep the faith for themselves.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
We made our own luck. Not to disparage the massive contribution of either chairman, but the survival of the club isn't down to Tony Bloom or even Dick Knight. Its down primarily to the fans. At worst, if it had all gone tits up, we'd have done a AFC Wimbledon and rebuilt from scratch.

WGray, sounds like you are quite young and didn't go through the trials and tribulations way back from 1997. As a season ticket holder at the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean it has been a massive fight to get to where we are now. Looking back people at my office said I should be locked up for driving up to Gillingham midweek in the middle of winter only to know that we would be beaten by the likes of Darlington etc.

Its not luck and we as a club should be looked upon as a blue-print for teams like Argyle to fight like we did and I wish them well in doing so....If I had one, just one regret about the move to Falmer its that my father will not be there with me on the opening day. Sadly he passed away a few years ago, but he always insisted that we would get there "AND WE DID" !!!! He was always right and I'm sure there will be many fellow fans who will have the same sentiments on the day regarding their loved ones, I sense it will be a highly charged day of emotions

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
WGray, sounds like you are quite young and didn't go through the trials and tribulations way back from 1997.

I'm not sure how you deduced that from his initial post. From the thread about Andy Murray...

Get over it !

England is full of English, Scots and Irish (and a few Welsh) and Scotland is full of English !

I am Scottish and have been here for 30 + years, (the most informed part of my life. )

I think we are so fortunate in so many ways. A brilliant chairman who was willing to take a punt on a new young manager and back him. We have got some real life heroes amongst our loyal fans. I won't repeat all that you said wgray, but i do agree with you. Things are looking so rosy right now, but I don't think anyone will or should forget the dark days.

Mike Bamber and Alan Mullery?

Perhaps not a good analogy with Bloom/Poyet?

1) Bamber's money went into revenue expenditure, not infrastructure, from the appointment of Clough onwards. It might have been the impact of the untimely death of Keith Wickenden (Finance Director) that resulted in this happening long term as, from my memory, there were some rash financial decisions taken at the time. Notably exclusion of potential new investors and extended player contracts such as Fozzies. He was on 10 years and we had to pay this up when he went Villa because we couldn't afford the wages in Div 2, and made an overall loss on the transfer deal? For all the great times we had with Taylor, Mullery, Wardy, Spider, Lawrenson & Horton et al, the promotions, Div 1 football and the cup final; it was Bamber's financial legacy, albeit unintentional, that set BHA on the path to Withdean.
2) When Tony Bloom took over the Club, he said he would now pay for the entire Falmer stadium development and continue to fund the ongoing losses at Withdean until the move, after which BHA would need to be self-financing. Successful implementation of this business plan (atypical for most of the EPL and FL) was part of the rationale for the appointment of two new directors, Adam Franks and Marc Sugarman, shortly after TB became chairman and more recently, that of the experienced John Stephenson as Football Operations Director where part of his remit is dealing with agents, player contracts etc. The Club's apparent stance during the recent Glen Murray saga might support this view but I guess the earliest we'll see evidence in black 'n white is when the 20011/12 annual return/accounts appear at Companies House in March/April 2013.
3) Subsequently Tony Bloom has committed to paying for the building of a Training Ground that will also house an Academy; developing and managing the latter is also part of John Stephenson's remit.

I came accross this thread when searching to get Keith Wickenden's name spelling correct, hindsight often makes for some interesting and amusing reading.

Would you support a chairman that would invest £20 million in the club in return...

A £20M investor/chairman eh? Well, as we know now, Tony Bloom had been bankrolling the club for years but to become the majority shareholder in 2009, something like £16.5M loans from him were converted into BHA shares. However, the convertible loan note facility was for up to £30M so that could "absorb" the last 2 years losses at Withdean. Without a return on the money I wouldn't personally classify this as an investment though?

Last edited:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Was just reading this thread when an interesting story popped up on this mornings regional news about Hull City. Their benefactor Assim Allem a self made millionaire is threatening to relocate the club away from their new KC Stadium (which I am looking forward to visiting next season). if his plans to create a leisure park around the stadium do not get approval. While I suspect this is posturing against the local Council, it does show how it would not pay to piss off someone that almost single handedly saved HCFC. I am not saying the Council should just roll over but clearly the guy is trying to invest in a deprived community.

HCFC were about £40m in debt and facing administration when he took over. He has just put money into the local Hull KR rugby league club to help another deprived area of Hull.

Made me wonder what could happen if Tony Bloom ever fell out of love with B&HA (not likely as he is a 3rd generation fan from his family) - but what if he lost his fortune? Eeeeek.......

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Originally Posted by Jimbo.GRFC
WGray, sounds like you are quite young and didn't go through the trials and tribulations way back from 1997.

Amost 65 years young in fact but, you're correct in that I wasn't part of the Priestfield thing because, although I very much felt it, there was no way I could afford to attend these games as a single household on the low income I 'enjoyed' at that time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Of course we are incredibly lucky, but few would begrudge us that luck as we have been through the mill, especially during the death throes of the Goldstone and the Gillingham days. We might mock and laugh at Palace now but it does seem for the most part that they have had men in charge who are Palace fanatics rather than glory hunters and they seem to be stabilised for the moment after some shakey times. I am looking forward to lording it over them for a few years, gonna be fun after the shit we've taken from them. It may not turn out that way of course but I am optimistic that it will.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He's a 'true hero' just because he has spent lots of cash on our football team? Obviously he's a top,top bloke. But I reckon many (who had the income) would do to the same... As for being lucky, we've had our fair share of bad luck in the past!

How ungrateful are you!? Astounding...

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Are We Lucky?

We've had more than our fair share of misery, but that wasn't about luck, it was down to bad judgement and being run by people who really didn't care about the club itself.

More recently, our fortunes have turned, of course, but again, it isn't luck that Tony Bloom and Dick Knight got us to where we are today, both of them are life-long Albion Supporters who only ever had the future prosperity as their driving factor.

I suppose you could argue that we were lucky the banks stopped lending due to the mortgage fiasco, because we would have sought a bank loan to pay for Falmer and then we would have had massive interest payments to cover, which of course we don't have today thanks to Mr Bloom.

Brighton and Hove Albion will survive whatever happens because we have a core fan base that will do whatever it takes to keep keep the club going even if we had to "do a Wimbledon"

BHAFC FOREVER

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here