Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long is your working day, including travel?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Fiar point Simster.

We have recently had a round of interviews here and the common response to graduates who were expeciting starting salaries of around 20% higher than the advertised basic purely on the basis that they had a degree.

I'm expecting a shit job when I leave Uni. Everyone (IME) starts on a level footing, in the 5 years after college. Its once everyone is in a job that those with degrees will start getting rewards. You have to work hard and show you know your shit, along with everyone else regardless of a degree or not, having a degree makes you more employable, not more payable.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Far point Simster.

We have recently had a round of interviews here and the common response to graduates who were expeciting starting salaries of around 20% higher than the advertised basic purely on the basis that they had a degree.

Unfortunately, this is true (I speak as a somewhat recent graduate).

I have found that my University education has helped me get into a very good job at a fairly young age (everyone else on my scale at work is 20 years older than me). However, my degrees alone did not do this. I worked bloody hard; the qualifications are just part of the package.

Many graduates don't seem to appreciate this.

(Before anyone asks, no they didn't teach me to spell at Uni!)

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
ooh look at me! University of life blah f***ing blah

evryone should have a right to be able go into further education, and perhaps the original poster is going to college with specific training in mind. He could be studying to become a doctor, how the f*** do you know? :tosser:

Ok.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
I'm expecting a shit job when I leave Uni. Everyone (IME) starts on a level footing, in the 5 years after college. Its once everyone is in a job that those with degrees will start getting rewards. You have to work hard and show you know your shit, along with everyone else regardless of a degree or not, having a degree makes you more employable, not more payable.

There are many graduate jobs that start at a wage much greater than jobs available to those without a degree; i should know, I spend enough time looking for graduate jobs at the moment.

How employable you are depends not only on the qualifications you achieve (which unfortunately I think a lot of graduates believe), but also what extra-curricular stuff you do.

A degree is more than just a tool for getting a high paid job.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Get yourself some of the electronic cat feeders and set it to come on at 5.30am at weekends!

I work from home so work whatever hours are needed. BF leaves at 0555 and gets home 1855 M-F

That's actually not a bad idea - the gadget I mean, I'm not overly bothered about the w/e but I'd like them to have the option of something during the day, as I'm gone so long

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Fortunately I work for a British company in New York so the hours are similar to when I worked in London - if it was for an American company…………………

The commute is a lot less – but I really miss all those happy, smiling faces on the 07.11 from Hove to Victoria.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Do you know what amazes me, those that say I get up at 6 and leave at 7. What the f*** do you FANNY about for an hour for, what are you doing?* I am up, showered, washed, dressed and brekkie in 25/30 mins max.

My hmate is up for 1hr 30 mins before he leaves, FANNYING about, I do not understand it myself.

* Different if you have kids of course

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Do you know what amazes me, those that say I get up at 6 and leave at 7. What the f*** do you FANNY about for an hour for, what are you doing?* I am up, showered, washed, dressed and brekkie in 25/30 mins max.

My hmate is up for 1hr 30 mins before he leaves, FANNYING about, I do not understand it myself.

* Different if you have kids of course

I like to have an hour minimum, and Im only a student.

It takes 45 mins for my hair to dry, and I need to enjoy my morning dump. :safeway

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I like to have an hour minimum, and Im only a student.

It takes 45 mins for my hair to dry, and I need to enjoy my morning dump. :safeway

I have never understood what people are doing in the toilet for so long either. Sit down, go, wipe, flush, done - 2 min job surely.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Right.......... I had to get up at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill and pay the mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our mother and father would kill us and dance on our graves singing Halleluja.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here