Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long is your commute to work?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Generally an hr and ten mins if the trains run on time and its not too hot, too cold, a drop of rain or a flake of snow f***ing up the whole network.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
oming home - if someone "I want you to spend an hour and a half doing nothing but reading or listening to music", you'd be quite pleased, wouldn't you? Commuting is all about attitude, assuming of course you can get a seat.

A good point. The people that find the train commute difficult, are the ones who are tutting every time we're a minute late and getting stressed about it. Personally, I'm usually talking to people, reading the paper, reading books on my kindle, listening to my iPod, sleeping or using my laptop (when I can be bothered to carry it). Some of that stuff I would never do without my train time.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A good point. The people that find the train commute difficult, are the ones who are tutting every time we're a minute late and getting stressed about it. Personally, I'm usually talking to people, reading the paper, reading books on my kindle, listening to my iPod, sleeping or using my laptop (when I can be bothered to carry it). Some of that stuff I would never do without my train time.

I've always absolutely refused to get wound up or stressed out by delays. If a train is delayed there is cock all I can do about it, so I just chill with my paper and coffee if in the morning, or if it's on the way home, I'll go for a pint or two and go back to the station later.

It's a bit like the get a seat thing as well - if a train is rammed I simply don't get on it and I'll just get the next one. Admittedly this has been simpler to do since the Gatwick Express now runs every 15 minutes in the evening from Victoria, but I just can't be arsed to force my way onto a rammed train and stand crushed like a sardine in a tin. Much rather be 15 minutes later and have a nice relaxing seat.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've always absolutely refused to get wound up or stressed out by delays.

The people who DO get wound up were my greatest source of entertainment in my commuting days. [MENTION=4251]ROSM[/MENTION] and [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] will remember 'Doorman' as fondly as me, I'm sure.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
depends.....hounslow one a week can take either 1.5 hours or 3 this week!!!!

crawley is around half an hour most days

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The people who DO get wound up were my greatest source of entertainment in my commuting days.

Oh absolutely. I love them. Their impotent rage is just a joy to behold sometimes.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Basically Where I live in Brighton to Old Street, London

Leave house at 7.45, arrive at work about 10.10

Leave at 6.45, get home about 9

FUN

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Oh absolutely. I love them. Their impotent rage is just a joy to behold sometimes.

were you on the train when the two deaf people were "yelling " at each other and having a right old ding dong!

I have never seen deaf people signing an arguement...he kept looking away from her and she was going mental.

It was probably one of the highlights ....that and Rusco's Joey Deacon's dog joke

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Commuter rage is hilarious and comedy gold at times.

American asked me the other day if I had a ticket as I asked him to move his bag off the seat, I said are you a ticket inspector and also has your bag bought a ticket as well.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The people who DO get wound up were my greatest source of entertainment in my commuting days. [MENTION=4251]ROSM[/MENTION] and [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] will remember 'Doorman' as fondly as me, I'm sure.

Indeed I do - the day we moved from slam door trains I swear he would have cried. But then............I saw him this week on an early train from west sussex that I joined at hh and he was on there sat near a toilet. and the door on the toilet was broken and kept swinging open and he kept slamming it shut. He clearly has a masochistic streak and needs to get his kicks wherever he can these days.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It was probably one of the highlights ....that and Rusco's Joey Deacon's dog joke

surely the highlight was the xmas parties we used to hold. remember that poor guy getting covered in mince pie pastry, beer and streamers thanks to amanda hug'n'kiss. he had to explain that to his wife.

Or the days we used to hold the train door open to allow a restock at HH

or the fact that my local Indian takeaway used to spit in my food after you kept loudly insulting them as i phoned my regular friday order to collect.

meanwhile back on topic - my commute is now just over 2 hours door to door. Bus to brighton station, train to lb and then tube to canary wharf

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
surely the highlight was the xmas parties we used to hold. remember that poor guy getting covered in mince pie pastry, beer and streamers thanks to amanda hug'n'kiss. he had to explain that to his wife.

Or the days we used to hold the train door open to allow a restock at HH

or the fact that my local Indian takeaway used to spit in my food after you kept loudly insulting them as i phoned my regular friday order to collect.

yes I remember the..." No I didn't hear anyone say 55 popudoms, mate" :) Happy days

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Indeed I do - the day we moved from slam door trains I swear he would have cried. But then............I saw him this week on an early train from west sussex that I joined at hh and he was on there sat near a toilet. and the door on the toilet was broken and kept swinging open and he kept slamming it shut. He clearly has a masochistic streak and needs to get his kicks wherever he can these days.

I too saw doorman the other day - heseems much calmer nowadays - no throwing full cups of coffee over people like the good old days.

do you remember 'paperman' who used to collect newspapers and handfuls of toilet paper? Never quite got a handle on what his problem was.

On the whole commute thing - I did the whole City thing for 8 years with [MENTION=2223]e77[/MENTION] [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] [MENTION=4251]ROSM[/MENTION] [MENTION=20]granny weatherwax[/MENTION] and many others. That was a definite 2 hour door to door journey, and as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] points out, it very much depends upon routine.

I now work in Croydon, which gives me a 5 min drive to Durrington Station, 1 hr 10 on the train and 6 mins walk to my desk (the office is right by the station) so about 1hr 25mins in total (inc waiting on the platform).

I'm definitely in the camp that uses the commute time to read/listen to music/surf the web/work. I do miss the 'old days' when there was a large group of us travelling up and down to London, but I also quite like the lack of pressure to chat on the journey.

Recently, due to a hip problem I've been working from home 3 days a week, so I get some variety in my week. In fact the company I work for encourage people to WFH, so I might go for the 'mywork' option in the new year.

Papa

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here