Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How important to you is the style of football we play?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I don't quite understand why some people think that the only options are keep ball or hoof ball? Keeping the ball without any risk taking is ineffective, likewise just lumping it up to the big lad up front. The best teams do neither.... I think people also don't get that what you do without the ball is just as important to your style as what you do with it. Take Barcelona for instance, they put so much pressure on the ball that when they do get it back they tend to be in good 'field position' and not with 10 players 30 yards behind the ball (see England, last night)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The plan B should be in answer to the opposition and sorting out if the A plan isn't working. Plan B shirley must be flexible enough to the situation we are presented with

I have had this discussion with the people I go with, it seems to us that Gus tends to wait for the opposition to make a change or for us to go a goal down before he reacts with a substitution or change of tactics. Would be good if he was more proactive and made his changes before the opposition do imo.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the Swansea style of play would suit us playing the ball about but have good attacking options with Michu so perhaps Ulloa will provide this and make us that much better as an attacking force, I hope so.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't quite understand why some people think that the only options are keep ball or hoof ball? Keeping the ball without any risk taking is ineffective, likewise just lumping it up to the big lad up front. The best teams do neither.... I think people also don't get that what you do without the ball is just as important to your style as what you do with it. Take Barcelona for instance, they put so much pressure on the ball that when they do get it back they tend to be in good 'field position' and not with 10 players 30 yards behind the ball (see England, last night)

That worked well earlier this month against the Germans didn't it :lolol:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Gus tends to wait for the opposition to make a change or for us to go a goal down before he reacts with a substitution or change of tactics. Would be good if he was more proactive and made his changes before the opposition do imo.

Spot on.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
When does it cease to be hoofball and become a long 50 yard pass to set the winger or forward racing away in a 50-50 chase for the ball

When it's an option rather than a game plan?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That worked well earlier this month against the Germans didn't it :lolol:

Well yes, I realise the hole in my argument! For what it's worth I've loved the way the German teams have been playing for a few years, just didn't quite the suit the point I was making!!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
To be fair, Bayern also play a high pressure game but as a team they are physically bigger and stronger than Barca which makes it even harder to play against.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them retain the CL next year, especially after adding Gotze and probably Lewandowski to the ranks

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
For me it's the difference between coming to the games and enjoying and coming to the games just to support the club. I detest hoof-ball as it makes for poor entertainment. But if the team could do it and every once in a while we scared the opposition by hoofing the ball over the bus and scoring then I'd be happy. A plan B you could call it!!

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Was gonna do a poll but am unsure on the options to give, so help me out here

Would you be willing to accept hoofball if it got us promoted?

Would you rather we continued to play as we do now and accept that we may not get promoted playing that way?

Don't care, it's all about getting promoted

Other options?

There were loads on here who didn't give a shit how England played under Sven as long as we won. I remember that his style of score a goal and sit on it put me off watching England, even if we were very successful until we met world class teams. Is winning what it is all about or do you need to be entertained as well?

**** hoofball, keep the tippy tappy possession shit anyday, love it, always have, it's why Italian and South American footy has ALWAYS been superior and more importantly better to watch.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Very important. And I hate the Poyet style.

Good grief! This has come as a total shock to me.

I'd imagine you've wrong footed the whole of the board with this revelation.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Personally i like our football but sometimes the tempo is to slow which makes it easier to defend against. Would not want to see us hoof from back to front at any cost really.

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
Entertaining football. We may not have gone up last season but I found it a joy to watch. I was looking forward to every game, something that hadn't happened for many years.

Yes, me too. I'm actually not too fussed about another season in the championship as long as we keep playing stylish football and are "contenders". I thought last seasons championship was fantastic entertainment, not just for Albion but many others too...

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Very important... There were times this season watching Lopez, Bridge, and Orlandi exchanging passes that made us look like a top premiership side, which made very enjoyable viewing!

If we are going to be successful we need to stick with the same quality of football, but also need to make sure we figure out a 'Plan B'....

I also wish Poyet would have been a bit more brave with his tactics sometimes and put pressure on opposition from the start, with 2 wingers or 2 strikers, rather than waiting until we have conceded to react!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It's a results game, and my opinion of our football under Poyets isn't particularly high anyway.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
The plan B should be in answer to the opposition and sorting out if the A plan isn't working. Plan B shirley must be flexible enough to the situation we are presented with

So what if plan B doesn't work? It's not guaranteed to.

If it was guaranteed to work it may as well be our plan A :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here