Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How have you enjoyed Potterball?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Been fine, still pretty far from the style in ÖFK & Swansea but I expect it to improve over time.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I cannot believe anyone can have anything negative to say at all, the football is so many levels better and more entertaining than under Hughton in the prem, whilst unearthing exciting youth talents and showing huge potential to take us to the next level. I wouldn't replace him for the world.

I don't know what some people were expecting. No team is going to be 'transformed' in the space of one season, he is still having to fit square pegs in round holes owing to the squad he inherited.

We survived pretty comfortably in the end, we're playing better football (which even the most dense pundits have picked up on), we've already made strong moves for next season in the transfer market and young players are finally getting a chance. What's not to like?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Definitely more enjoyable to watch than last season, and gratifying to have a manager who has the ability to change tactics when the ones he started with aren't working. It seems that have a plan B (and C and D) is a useful option after all.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Best football I've seen in a god damn long time, we avoided relegation, orgasm time..:rave::rave::albion:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est retiré.
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I think this is a transition period where he's shaping his squad.

He knows what he wants, and when he gets there it'll be either great to watch - or we'll slide down the table like a drunken stripper.

I think we'll do ok though. I like his style. It's great to be a part of as a fan and I have great confidence in him.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Young players breaking into the side to be blended with experienced internationals that have won on both domestic and European levels.

We've done the double over the FA Cup Winners, entertained along the way and survived with something to spare.

Delighted with the progress made. With the addition of a new striker, there are exciting times ahead.

I think it’s been a confusing narrative to explain our football, there has been more possession football in midfield but you would expect that having spent 70 mill. Better players change the way a team plays, the excitement factor has been the same, are you telling me you were bored watching us beat Man U twice in 5 months? We still play quite direct at times and that’s fine, the myth that we are some kind of Barca in the making is hilarious. I tend to think we’ve done better in midfield with Biss growing in influence and Mooy raising the standard, we’ve been better in attack as Maupay is much better than Murray. Defence wise I’m slightly concerned because although we’ve conceded slightly fewer goals, that’s more a reflection of our higher midfield possession, the number of poor goals from defensive howlers has been too many - we must not lose Dunk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
With a gin in my hand, a glint in my eye and a lady in my lap. You?

Maybe when you’ve finished your gin you can point the OP to one of the Other 42,837 threads on this topic

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
We improved a lot (or at least got better results) post lockdown. From January to March we looked like we were going down. We've started the last two seasons well but tailed off drastically after Christmas. We won't know if Potter could have turned it around

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thing I like the best is the flexibility. If we’ve learned anything from Potter this season it’s that he is not fixed on 1 or 2 ideas of how to play. It’s brave, well thought out and clearly gives great trust in the players to execute well considered tactical options. He is a manager that will play a formation for the strength of the players he has available.

Looking forward to next season as I think the players will be under his leadership.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We improved a lot (or at least got better results) post lockdown. From January to March we looked like we were going down. We've started the last two seasons well but tailed off drastically after Christmas. We won't know if Potter could have turned it around

We were in a relegation battle for sure, but we still had a bit about us that we were going to be okay. We didn’t win a game, but we actually didn’t lose that many either. Of course you are right we can’t ever know what would have happened without lockdown - I suppose it’s whether your glass half full or not. Given the thread is about Potter, crucially I think the players continued to believe in him and his ideas both before and after lockdown, I feel it’s the reason we did bounce back strongly.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
First of all, this whole 'Potterball' stuff is a load of bull than some fans have got over excited about.

I think some people have a rose tinted view of this season. There have been some very good performances but many were no better than under Hughton - especially in the first couple of months after Christmas.

Lockdown seems to have given them a chance to re-evaluate and the balance seems better.

However, the seeds have been sown, the players now understand what is expected and there will be changes to the squad that bring in players more suited to that system. Next year will hopefully see further improvement.

Yes this, though has to be said a lot better only a couple matched those at the end of CH’s tenure in terms of quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thing I like the best is the flexibility. If we’ve learned anything from Potter this season it’s that he is not fixed on 1 or 2 ideas of how to play.

Me too - good point.
Great use of subs.
Disappointed about the lack of proper width though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
We were in a relegation battle for sure, but we still had a bit about us that we were going to be okay. We didn’t win a game, but we actually didn’t lose that many either. Of course you are right we can’t ever know what would have happened without lockdown - I suppose it’s whether your glass half full or not. Given the thread is about Potter, crucially I think the players continued to believe in him and his ideas both before and after lockdown, I feel it’s the reason we did bounce back strongly.

I'm in no way criticising Potter, just feel people seem to be forgetting a concerning chunk of our season. Since the restart he has been more flexible and completely agree about the players being with him

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's been alright. He inherited a squad built over several seasons to play a very different way. It's necessarily been a transitional season.

I'd say it could be roughly broken down into thirds.

First third: Startling how different we looked. Dominating possession against whoever our opponents were, defenders and goal keeper passing it around under pressure in the penalty box, wide open, expansive football all round. Picked up some good points and wins.

Second third: Continued in the same playing style as the first third but teams had sussed us out a bit, knew that the defence or midfield would eventually give the ball away in a dangerous position and that we were hugely susceptible to the counter. Still had some good results but wins became scarce and confidence seemed to be draining.

Final third: Adopted a more pragmatic approach, not bothered by possession statistics and played with a more defensive, or at least compact, shape. Less passing around at the back and a willingness to go long on occasion. This helped Webster gain some confidence and start looking like a 20million pound defender. Picked up some good points and wins.

He's made some good signings, improved several of the existing players and brought through exciting young players while also keeping us up relatively comfortably so it's been a pretty decent first year. I think next season is when we'll really see the full extent of Potter's style. If he can work out how to marry the best bits of the first and final thirds of the season we're going to be in for a very decent season with a lot of high quality football being played. Although the truncated nature of this years pre-season could mean we have to wait until 2021/2 to get the full glory.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Slow but subtle improvements for me. Yes we haven't won more than 9 games in a season but we scored 4 more goals and conceded 6 less than last season. Heading the right way and with Lamptey shining, and GP's attitude of giving players like Connolly and Alzate a chance, I think the future looks promising. Would love to see us manage a couple more wins next season but overall pretty happy.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Improved the style
Lowered the average age of the side
Introduced some exciting young players into the side
Built the foundation for real sustained improvement.
Kept us up comfortably.
Improved and learnt as a manager during the season.

All in all I think he has done excellently in his first year, can he push on next season? I for one think that he can and that we will continue to make steady progress.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Good transition in my opinion. I was a die hard Hughton fan and thought at the time of his dismissal what on earth had Bloom done. Yes the football was dire in the second half of that season but he had kept us up and i was expecting him to progress in the new season then bam he was gone and i had horrible thoughts of one of the merry go round managers coming here, backward step IMHO. I was pleasantly surprised when Potter was appointed.....big gamble but leftfield and a change for The Premier League.
No surprise then we never took the League by storm, in fact some of the football was naive unpredictable and simply rubbish but at times we played great passing football and easy on the eye. We had a flirt with the relegation when we were almost favorites with some pundits for the drop with already doomed Norwich.
Since the lockdown and restarted 9 games we looked better and easily avoided relegation.
Next year should be even more exciting. I love the signing of Lamptey who should improve with experience, yes he has flaws but he is an exciting talent and has already improved our attack from defence.
With the returning Alzate, Llannna, Yves Bissouma, Connolly and Mac the Knife we have some very good players to look forward to improving......and they will. Not forgetting Neil Maupay who is not without his criticts but i though had an excellent first season and will also improve.
All in all a good season to bed Potter and his coaching staff in, he has tinkered but next season with show what sort of manager we have, i think and hope we may improve our League points haul by 4 or 5 which will be a more comfortable season.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Potter plays the game as if he has world class players at his disposal , he has 2 or 3 so the system sometimes breaks down which other better equipped teams will obviously exploit , he's quite a brave manager in terms of overall tactics which is what the owner wanted along with many supporters who became bored with merely surviving , i love the football on show , only one criticism is the 4 in a row bus queue corner routine is so overused the opposition are lined up before we have .

Vive la Potterballissimo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here